Practicing spirituality at the workplace -
A revolution is to bring on change and we're spiritual people trying to bring on spiritual change. It might sound like I'm a dreamer, but economic models have reached their height of evolution. Technology has evolved. What hasn't evolved is mankind's spirituality; everything is from 3,000 years ago.
Spirituality may be defined as one’s personal concern with matters of the spirit, or inner self. We all possess conscience, spirit or inner soul. If we perform an act according to what our conscience says, we are acting spiritually.
Spiritual practice is a means to catalyze an inner change and transformation. It is a vehicle for liberation from the false self, from the egocentric structures of consciousness that limit us and generate suffering. The purpose of spiritual practice is to wake us up, to realign us daily life with what is deepest, truest and most alive in ourselves.
We all spend more than one third of our day at the workplace, so it entirely depends on us what type of workplace we have. We really contribute to what it gives us apart from financial security. If it gives us a happy and peaceful ambiance to work in, it is solely dependent on the workers working there; the workers can make or mar the work culture at their workplace. By practicing spirituality at the workplace, we can make it a place, which will give pleasure and happiness to its workers and they will enjoy working there. The following are the ways to practice spirituality to enliven the workplace --
- Before starting work, we can thank Him that He has provided us with a wonderful place to work, which sustains us and our family by meeting all our financial requirements. By harboring such thoughts we can do the work with the right frame of mind without any stress and tension. Our happy thoughts will buoy up the spirits of out co-workers and liven up the atmosphere of the workplace.
- On meeting the co-workers we should greet them heartily. We should listen to them when they are talking and regard their opinion even if we don’t agree with them. We should always keep in mind that we may differ in opinions but are working for the welfare of our organization, in which lies the welfare of all of us.
- When something goes wrong, we immediately try to figure out who we can blame. In every event, where we lay blame on others, we contribute mightily to the situation. If we just relax and re-write or re-play the whole event, we will realize that we are more responsible in many bad situations. This will change our outlook and we will avoid laying blame on the other person. This will bring compassion in all our encounters. We will realize that the others like ourselves can make mistakes all the time. Blame accentuates the failings of others, whereas compassion sees mistakes as a natural part of life and as things that can be corrected.
- Always remember that co-operation contributes to a healthy atmosphere of workplace, thereby increasing productivity.
- Celebrate the successes of others and sympathize when they have problems. Always admire the good work of others; true admiration represents love.
- When it is difficult to sort out the differences with co-workers, put on their shoes and walk. Then it will become comfortable to live with the differences.
- Always keep a genuine smile; be willing to lend a helping hand to others.
- We should have neat and clean appearance always wherever we go. It is often said that cleanliness is next to Godliness.
- We should avoid creating clutter at our desks since it will hinder our work. Always keep your desk and drawers well organized. This will set an example for others to follow. A clean and well-arranged place boosts up happiness.
- When taking leave of colleagues, we should the wish them luck. Many say – God bless you or Khuda hafiz. Such blessings make us and others happy when parting with. By blessing someone, we give love to them; never forget if we give love to others, it will come back to us in plenty.
- Be honest with your work and never cheat any one in any circumstance. Cheating may satisfy a desire of greed for a time being but it leaves behind a feeling of guilt. It may have an adverse affect on our career or profession.
- Never indulge in procrastination which is not good for us or for our organization.
- Always indulge in healthy competition. Never feel jealous if you lose a competition. We should always remember that we get what we deserve. Moreover, this should not deter us for competing further.
- We should avoid indulging in gossips and back biting; they may give temporary pleasure but they represent a feeling of jealousy. This vitiates the atmosphere of the workplace. A person, who indulged in it, loses self-respect.
- We should always observe punctuality in the office.
- We should celebrate some special occasions with enthusiasm with our co-workers because they remove misunderstandings among people and help generate harmony.
- Always observe rules and regulations of the organization, you work for.
Reason why to practice spirituality -
As a matter of fact, we can practice spirituality everywhere. What is required is that we follow the dictates of our conscience and spread happiness and love wherever we are. If we are acting under the influence of lust, greed, anger, attachment, laziness, fear and ego, we don’t promote spirituality. We then vitiate the atmosphere of the workplace, as a result of which the organization suffers financially.
Spiritualism means following the advice of our soul or conscience, which is always conducive to our welfare. Love, purity, happiness, bliss, contentment, and compassion are all characteristics of the soul that means they form our inherent nature. If we choose to be conscientiously aware of these characteristics and act according to them, we are living with their positive energy. If we create such a positive energy in us, we will radiate it around. It will influence others and will infuse the atmosphere with positivity, including that of our workplace.
We will create positive thoughts when filled with positive energy. Our positive frame of mind will evaporate any tension from the atmosphere of the office and will encourage others act more positively.
If we are happy, we will make others happy too. If we have love for others, we will not be jealous of our colleagues. We will forgive them for their mistakes and excesses, which might have caused us hurt since love generates forgiveness. We will also stop laying blame on others since blame accentuates the mistakes of others and will discourage them from performing better. If we have contentment, we will not create jealousy for others and will generate the spirit of healthy competition.
Many people will question why we should practice spirituality, while majority are least bothered about it. The main reason to practice it is that when we choose to adopt the characteristics of the soul, we will first re-discover our true nature and fill ourselves with love, purity, happiness, contentment and compassion. We will feel happy, peaceful and contented. And then we will radiate the energy of these feelings to others who can not remain untouched by them. The energy will influence their thought patterns and they will start experiencing a gradual change in themselves.
To sum up, the spirituality generates harmony when it is practiced. Spirituality creates and spreads happiness in us and in people around us.