Prayer And Fasting Guide
The Reason For A Prayer And Fasting Guide
Why do we need a prayer and fasting guide?
The Lord is calling His children to humble themselves and seek his will. He ask us to dedicate us to Him and never stop praying. This is why Christians have a time of prayer and fasting from time to time. Very often in a time of crisis, religious decline, disasters in nature and when we are seeking His will do we have a time of prayer and fasting. People are not always sure how to go about it so they are looking for a prayer and fasting guide.
and my people, my God-defined people, respond by humbling themselves, praying, seeking my presence, and turning their backs on their wicked lives, I'll be there ready for you: I'll listen from heaven, forgive their sins, and restore their land to health. 2Chronicals 7:14— The Bible
Why do we have a need for prayer and fasting?
First of all we want to concentrate on our own lives and humble ourselves in front of God. We want to hear what it is the God wants to tell us. We want Him to show us areas in our lives where we are not right with HIm.
We also have a need for prayer and fasting to ask God to guide us in future. Often Churches or Christians groups that are unsure about the next step of action calls for a time of prayer and fasting to seek God's will.
Do You believe there is a need for prayer and fasting in today's world?
Prayer And Fasting Guide - What Is Fasting
Another reason people want a prayer and fasting guide is because they want to know what fasting really is.
What is fasting?
- Fasting is a voluntary act of refraining from eating. The idea being that especially the time that will ordinarily be taken up by preparing food and eating a meal be devoted to prayer.
- In this period you concentrate on a specific goal to pray for and to stay focused on God while seeking His will.
- Fating help us with discipline. It reminds us that we can do with less food and it teaches us to appreciate God's gifts.
Ways Of Fasting:
A partial fast - refraining from eating meat and drinking wine in the Daniel way. Daniel 10: 3
The normal fast - you refrain from eating any food and drinking any nutritious drinks, but still drinking water. Matthew 4: 2
A total fast - you do not eat or drink anything Acts 9: 9
When it comes to fasting and prayer it is important to take your health in consideration. If you are on medication use a way of fasting and prayer that is safe for your health. A partial fast, for instance eating only basic meals to leave time for prayer may also be of help to your growth. God sees our heart and listen to us if we humble ourselves.
Prayer And Fasting Guide - When Do We Pray And Fast?
Another reason we need a Prayer And Fasting Guide is because we do not always know when it is appropriate to have a time of prayer and fasting.
Here are the reasons for a time of prayer and fasting:
- When the Holy Spirit leads us. Luke 4: 1-2
- When I, as an individual fell the need. Matthew 6: 16-18
- When Christians as a group are called upon to have a time of prayer and fasting. Joel 1: 14 and 2: 15-16
When not to spend time in prayer and fasting
- We must not fast for selfish reasons. Isaiah 58: 3-5
- Do not have a time of prayer and fasting to impress others. Zechariah 7: 5 and Luke 18: 12
- Never have a time of prayer and fasting if you have health problems and your doctor advises against it.
- If you start feeling very ill, stop
- Reduce your consumption of tea and coffee gradually in the days before the fast
Matthew 6:9-13New International Version (NIV)
9 “This, then, is how you should pray:
“‘Our Father in heaven,
hallowed be your name,
10 your kingdom come,
your will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
11 Give us today our daily bread.
12 And forgive us our debts,
as we also have forgiven our debtors.
13 And lead us not into temptation,[a]
but deliver us from the evil one.[b]’
Prayer And Fasting Guide - Practical Tips
Here are some practical tips or your time of prayer and fasting:
The evening before your fast:
- Prepare yourself spiritually
- Come to rest
- Humble yourself in front of God. Become aware of His presence and pray to God that He will reveal His will to you
- Read Psalm 51 and think about your sins and confess them to God. Ask Him to renew your heart and to make it very clear what His will is.
- Read Ezekiel 34: 26-27, Romans 12: 1-2 and Colossians 3: 1-4
- Pray Psalm 51: 4 & 6 as your answer to God
During your time of fasting:
Go somewhere where you can pray and become quiet in front of God.
Read Habakkuk 2: 1-4 and pray verse 1 as your hearts desire
Study Isaiah 57: 14-21 and think about it so that God can speak to you personally through His word
Underline God's promise in this reading and think about it
Underline the things you have to do and the things you should not do in different colors and make these words your personal answer to God
Memorize the important verses as God reveals them to you
Read Isaiah 58 and underline God's promises. Underline the things you have to do in another color. Pray about them and memorize the important verses as God reveals them to you.
Pray all the time
Dedicate yourself to the Lord
Read Psalm 103
Prepare yourself to witness if the opportunity arises
General tips for your time of prayer and fasting:
- Switch of the TV
- Do not keep yourself busy with one piece of scripture for more than an hour
- Make sure you get enough sleep and rest.
- Only say the essential things to others not to deter you from your prayer and fast
- If you feel like singing sing Christians songs
- Choose your own Scriptures as well.
- If at all possible it is often helpful to go to a secluded place where you can be alone with God without distractions