- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
The Practice of Prayer
Prayer Promises & Quotations
One of the greatest problems in the Christian life is prayerlessness. When we remember the prayer life of our Lord Jesus Christ, and the prayer-lives of the great men of God in the Bible and in church history, our inability to pray should put us to shame. It is hoped that these prayer promises from the Bible will be learnt by heart. The prayer quotes are only additional insights into the practice of prayer.
May the Holy Spirit enable us to pray regularly and with fervour.
1. Call upon Me in the day of trouble; I will deliver you and you shall glorify Me. ~Psalm 50.15
2. Call unto Me, and I will answer you, and show you great and mighty things, which you do not know. ~Jeremiah 33.3
3. Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. ~ Matt 7.7
4. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. ~John 15.7
5. Until now you have asked nothing in My name. Ask, and you will receive, that your joy may be full. ~John 16.24
6. I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears. ~Psalm 34.4
7. Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. ~Phil 4.6, 7.
8. Cast all your cares upon Him, for He cares for you. ~1 Pet 5.7
9. Pray without ceasing. ~1 Thess 5.17
10. Cast your burden on the Lord, and He will sustain you; He will never permit the righteous to be moved. ~ Psalm 55.22
1. "Prayer is not getting man's will done in heaven, but getting God's will done on earth. It is not overcoming God's reluctance but laying hold of God's willingness."
~Richard C. Trench
2. No one is a firmer believer in the power of prayer than the devil; not that he practices it, but he suffers from it. ~Guy H. King
3. When a man is at his wits' end it is not a cowardly thing to pray, it is the only way he can get in touch with Reality. ~Oswald Chambers
4. There come times when I have nothing more to tell God. If I were to continue to pray in words, I would have to repeat what I have already said. At such times it is wonderful to say to God, "May I be in Thy presence, Lord? I have nothing more to say to Thee, but I do love to be in Thy presence."
5. Prayer lays hold of God’s plan and becomes the link between His will and its accomplishment on earth. Amazing things happen, and we are given the privilege of being the channels of the Holy Spirit’s prayer. ~ Elisabeth Elliot
6. Groanings which cannot be uttered are often prayers which cannot be refused. ~ CH Spurgeon
7. Work, work, from morning until late at night. In fact, I have so much to do that I shall have to spend the first three hours in prayer. ~ Martin Luther
8. Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons, but they are helpless against our prayers. ~ J. Sidlow Baxter
9. Too many women have too much leisure time for their own good. They have time for criticism, gossip, faultfinding, and complaining. They have time for idle games and lay too much attention to things of the flesh. There are other women who have too little time for the enduring things of life. They are too busy flitting about doing this and that. They have great activity and much doing, but they lack time for building Christian characters. Both kinds of women — the too-idle and the too-busy need to take time for meditation and quiet repose in prayer to God. They need time to cultivate their souls that in turn they may cultivate their children’s lives. ~ Billy Graham
10. When at night you cannot sleep, talk to the Shepherd and stop counting sheep.~ Author Unknown.
© Roland N. Oliver/Pratonix