- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
How to Incorporate Prayer in the Family and in Your Home: The Difference Prayer makes
As someone who grew up in a Christian home at the age of four, I have seen how prayer in the home brought my peace and unity in the home, helped me to call upon God, kept my parents closer to God and one another and many financial breakthroughs. When prayer stopped within the home, and the busyness of life and career takes over, and everyone did their own thing, then conflict, strife and misunderstandings took place. But finally my family recognized this and restored the altar of prayer in the family. But I have seen the effects of prayer in the home and pray not in the home.
I have seen many young people who grew up in the Church drift away from the faith. There are many factors that may contribute to this problem, but one of the things that Christian psychologists believe the reason for this, is that faith in God and principles of the Bible and including God daily was not demonstrated in the lives of some of parents. They would just go to church weekly, but there was no real relationship with God during the week.
Prayer individually and corporately in the home is a mighty weapon that will protect our marriages and children. As Families usually have movie night, eat together and do fun activities together. Why not incorporate prayer and relationship with God in the home as well. It is should not be left out or treated as a routine religious activity.
No matter what your home looks like now, you can start to incorporate prayer in the family. Here are some ways to keep prayer in the family, between husbands and wives and between parents and children.
- 12 Types of Prayer from the Bible
Prayer is very vital in the life of a believer. These eleven types of prayer were demonstrated in the Old Testament and New Testament in the lives of people of Israel, prophets, apostles and disciples. Take a look.
1. Both parents must have a relationship with God and see the value and importance of prayer in the lives individually-
Our relationship to God should not be limited to Sunday services or weekly services, it should extend to our communication with Him on a daily basis. We need God everyday, to help us in life, in our workplace, friendships, marriage and family and to be the person He has created us to be.
Some ways to understand the importance of prayer is by studying the prayers in the Bible, study the Gospels and how Jesus prayed, go to a church that believes in the power of prayer, read articles on prayer from sites like Focus on the Family, Charisma, read books on prayer and the family, listen to sermons on prayer online.
2. Parents must be in agreement to pray together as a couple and as a family- at least once week.
What does this do? It strengthens your relationship with one another, with God and the family. Many times we pray individually, and not together with our spouse or children. It is important to pray with and for another. I encourage husbands to take the spiritual leadership in the home.
There is power when a husband pray for his wife and wife prays her husband. Pray for each other when days and times are stressful, know there is a Source of help, comfort and strength, peace that only God can provide. Pray together during hard times, times of anger and frustration, pain, for finances, pray for direction, daily wisdom with people, sickness, and also in the good times.
You can also pray for the needs in the home, your children, the things going on their lives, pray for areas of their heart to be changed if they are selfish, rude and disrespectful, pray for the classes they are in, their friends, etc. It can be 5-10 minutes a day or twice a week. Believe me it does make a difference.
- 20 Ways and Tips to Create a Healthy, Happy Family
When you instill a healthy lifestyle in your kids, at an early age, it helps them develop healthy habits. Check out these tips, strategies and ways on how to create such a lifestyle for your children.
3. Pray for children before they leave the house - Though the mornings can be quite busy with everyone going to work and school, make praying for your children a priority before they leave the house even it is just for 5 minutes-
Pray for protection, that God will preserve them from evil, protection from drunk drivers, accidents, abuse, drug dealers, pornography, etc pray for wisdom in their classes, help and favor.
4. Pray for and with your children- this can be scheduled or not scheduled. Pray when your child/teen:
- he/she comes to you with a problem
- has a bad day
- If he/she is sick
- going through a tough time at school,
- when he/she is troubled by situation or a friend,
- fearful, anxious, mad, disrespectful, frustrated
- for their friends/classmates/teachers/school staff
- dreams, future, choice of college, job
You can begin to pray with them for that specific need- This is just showing them that God cares about every area of their lives and you are including God in this situation, no matter how small it is.
5. Teach Your children about prayer and how to pray- Teach them first the basics of prayer, what prayer is, why we should pray, show them what the bible says about prayer, types of prayer, postures of prayer etc. Show them that they have a Heavenly Father who loves them and there for them and ask for help with anything. This is so needed in the homes.
Many times parents only depend on the Sunday school teachers to teach them the Word of God. As the Bible states in Deuteronomy 6:5-7:
And you shall love the LORD thy God with all your heart and with all your soul, and with all your might. And these words which I command you this day, shall be in your heart. And you shall teach them diligently unto your children and shall talk of them when you sit in your house and when you walk by the way and when you lie down and when you rise up.
Based on these bible verses, it is the parents responsibility to teach their children the Word of God.
- 43 One-Liners on How to Pray for Yourself
Although we are to pray for the pressing needs in our nation, family and community, we should not neglect praying for ourselves. Here are some one line simple ways to pray for yourself.
6. Pray before meals and at bedtime- After establishing the importance of prayer, each family member can take turns praying over the meal, thanking God and praying for those who do not have anything to eat in their town or other countries.
Pray at bedtime- for God's peace, a good night sleep, for their day tomorrow and ask if there is anything they need pray for specifically, a person they like to pray for or a specific situation or issue.
7. Family Prayer at least once a week- Gather together for prayer and reading the Word with the entire family- Find a day and time that works best for each person.
Begin by opening in prayer, first thanking God , sing a few songs if your like, read your scripture verse or passage from the Bible and then pray for the family and everyone there.
The Family Project Devotional offers a guideline and specific instructions of starting prayer in the home if you do not know how.
8. Family Prayer Ideas- after praying with your family for quite some time, begin to pray for relatives, a specific situation, friends, celebrities, needs of other countries- get a world map or the needs in their city, town, school and begin to pray.