Proverbs 31 Woman: A Look at What Godly Women Should Be
Society, women, and God all have very different viewpoints on the importance and value of women. Despite these many differences there is a very real and true definition of woman and what she should be not only to herself, but to her family, and society as well.
Come with me as we take a deeper look into the Proverbs 31 woman and compare society's view of women to her.
If the Proverbs 31 woman is God's true depiction of what women should be there is a great deal of things that we as women should be striving for.
All attainable goals if we truly wish to become like the Proverbs 31 woman.
What Society Believes About Woman:
Some of these points may be very old traditions or customs, however many are still believed by today's society.
Women should be:
- Barefoot and pregnant- Many men I know still believe this is the only thing women are good for. The Proverbs 31 woman is going to show us just how wrong they are.
- Sole provider for children- Men prefer their wives to stay at home and care for the house and children, however in today's society money is tight and that is not possible for most families anymore.
- Viewed as sex objects- Men and boys alike look to women as property rather than partners. This point of view is harmful not only to women but to society as a whole.
- Women are too emotional- I'll be the first to admit that emotions run wild and crazy, that's just part of being a female, however it doesn't have to run our life. In fact, being emotional can be a good thing at times.
- Women are less superior to men- We are seeing less and less of this mind set, however in the work place especially it is easy to see how one would think women are less superior.
Whether these assumptions or beliefs are right or not, they do not co-inside with how society should look at woman according to God's standards.
What Women Believe About Themselves:
What we as women believe about ourselves is important. How we think and what we believe is going to ultimately effect how we act. For example, if we believe we're run by our emotions, we will let them get the best of us every time.
Women believe they are:
- Emotional- We may be prone to emotions and it may be true that we cannot help the way we feel, however they do not have to control us.
- Determined/Strongwilled- As a woman at times I believe that being strong is all I have left. You never know how strong you truly are, until being strong is all you have left.
- The Peacemakers- Whether with children or men, most women I know feel like they have to come in and settle the waters to keep things peaceful and at ease.
- Worthless/Never good enough- Many women at one point or another feel this way. Don't let other people tell you you're not good enough, God values us higher than rubies!
- Not beautiful enough- With the media and society putting pressure and praise on outer beauty it is easy to see how women in today's society never feel beautiful enough. The truth is, we're all beautiful in our own way, and God values and holds higher our inner beauty over any outer beauty.
Some of these points are positive and some are negative, all of them are to make us stop and think about what we believe and whether or not it falls in line with what God has drawn out for us.
10 Virtues of the Proverbs 31 Woman:
The Proverbs 31 woman serves God in every aspect of her life, from tending the home, managing the finances, to using her time wisely. In everything that she does, the Proverbs 31 woman honors and serves her God.
- Noble Character: A Godly woman is of great character, worth far more than rubies. "Many woman do noble things, but you surpass them all. Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting; but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised" (Proverbs 31:29-30).
- Industry: A Godly woman works diligently with her hands. Shes praises and sings to the Lord and does not grumble while completing her tasks. "She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands" (Proverbs 31: 13).
- Finances: A Godly woman spends money wisely and seeks her husband's advice and approval before making purchases. She only spends what she can afford and buys only what her family needs. "She considers a field and buys it; out of her earnings she plants a vineyard" (Proverbs 31:16).
- Time: A Godly woman uses her time wisely and works to complete daily tasks that are pleasing to the Lord. She does not idle around or worry about tomorrow. "She watches over the affairs of her household and does not eat the bread of idleness" (Proverbs 31:27).
- Beauty: A Godly woman has an inner beauty that only comes from Christ. She is valued much higher than rubies. "She is clothed with strength and dignity; she can laugh at the days to come" (Proverbs 31:25).
- Service: A Godly woman offers her time to the poor and needy. She opens her house to the town. "She opens her arms to the poor and extends her hands to the needy" (Proverbs 31:20).
- Homemaker: A Godly woman creates warm and loving family home. She opens her house to family, friends, and neighbors. " She gets up while it's still dark; she provides food for her family and portions for her servant girls" (Proverbs 31:15).
- Health: A Godly woman cares for her body, she treats it as if it were a temple. "She is like the merchant ships, bringing her food from afar" (Proverbs 31:14).
- Marriage: A Godly woman values her marriage and her husband. She is trustworthy and does him good all of her days. "Her husband has full confidence in her and lacks nothing of value. She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life" (Proverbs 31:11-12).
- Faith: A Godly woman serves God with all of her heart, strength, soul, and mind. She seeks after Him wherever she goes. "She speaks with wisdom, and faithful instruction is on her tongue" (Proverbs 31:26).
Whether you grew up in the church or not, becoming like the Proverbs 31 woman can be easy. It takes dedication and faith, but with a true and honest heart we can all be on our way to becoming the women that God wants us to be.
If you need help or are interested in learning more about the Proverbs 31 woman I would highly recommend the book Beautiful in God's Eyes by Elizabeth George. It is a phenomenal book and study guide about how becoming the woman God wants you to be can be easy. All you need to do is transform your heart and trust in Him. Beautiful in God's Eyes is a great study guide book and I would highly recommend it for any women's study group looking to learn about how we all can become more like the Proverbs 31 woman. This book is also perfect for the young teens in your life as it is highly relatable.
Lies Woman Believe and The Truth That Set's Them Free is a great book about the lies that society and Satin try to convince women of and how God's truth can dispel even the toughest of lies. This book is laid out in an easy to read format divided up by categories. It includes a lies and truth section at the end of each chapter with a page devoted to journaling about what you have learned in the chapter.
Transform your heart and be all that you can be! Allow God to work and live freely in you, and feel the joy of new life.