- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Psalms: Hymns About Him
The Psalms are considered the most famous collection of religious poetry. The Psalms were meant to be sung.
The Psalms were a major part of Israel's worship. In our churches we sing a song here and a song there; however, Israel's worship was based on the singing of the Psalms throughout the worship service.
The Psalms are just as meaningful today as when they were first written. The Psalms are Hymns about Him. By reading them, you can find comfort about whatever concerns you.
Longest Book in the Bible
The longest book in the Bible is the Psalms with 150 chapters or a collection of 150 hymns and prayers which came together over a thousand year period written by several men known as psalmists. David wrote 73 of the psalms more than the other psalmists. Fifty of the psalms are anonymous.
Themes of the Psalms
There are many themes in the Psalms.
- public worship
Interesting Things About the Psalms
- Psalms is the longest book in the Bible with 150 chapters.
- Each psalm can be read independently. It doesn't depend on the preceding psalm and the psalm that follows for you to enjoy and be edified by the particular psalm you are reading.
- Psalm 1 is the introductory psalm.
- Psalm 150 is the concluding psalm.
- The Psalms are divided into five books ending with a doxology.
- Psalm 150 is a doxology ending all five books. A doxology is a short hymn of praise consisting of creation, praise, God, eternal language and ends in "Amen."
- The word "selah" appears in some of the psalms and should not be read aloud in corporate worship.
- The Psalms do not rhyme like in some songs or poems.
- Psalms 146-150 are called Hallelujah or Praise Psalms because the first and last line of each psalm is "Praise ye the Lord."
- Many psalms address particular concerns.
Shortest chapter in the Bible
Center chapter in the Bible
Longest chapter in the Bible
There are 594 chapters before Psalm 118
There are 594 chapters after Psalm 118
Add 594 + 594 =118
Center verse in Bible is Psalm 118:8
Psalm to Read For Special Needs
When can't sleep
Repentance over personal sins
Christian's Emergency Psalm for protection and safety
Psalms 3, 5, 6, 10, 59
When in trouble
- A Sheep's Testimony in Psalm 23
Almost everyone knows Psalm 23. Even non-Christians have heard it because it seems to be a favorite at their funerals. But its not a psalm of death, but of life, rest and peace. It is a psalm that heals,...
- What Does Being Under The Shadow of the Almighty Mean in Psalm 91?
PSALM 91 is one of trust and confidence in God. Some people say Psalm 91 is the Christians Emergency Psalm. Well, it could be. But it is not for everyone. It is the Christian Emergency Psalm only for the...