Getting Ready to Share the Gospel of Jesus Christ. (Quick Reminders)
19 Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. And surely I am with you always, to the very end of the age.”-Matthew 28:19-20
The great commission of every Christian that was given by God is evangelism—sharing the blessed gospel to the lost; to share it unashamed and in love.
16 For I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God that brings salvation to everyone who believes-Romans 1:16
As we read in Romans 1:16, it tells us that God didn’t just commanded us, He also equipped us to do it. God knows how limited we are and can only fulfil obedience by His grace and with His strength. Praise God!
Now, as Christians, we often encounter “problems” and “discouragements” and even “frustration” in sharing the gospel to people. We sometimes forget that we are to SHARE and not force, we are to keep in mind that we are not the Savior, it is NOT US that saves for we are mere messengers, for Salvation was made possible purely by God’s grace, love and mercy alone, it is God that saves; and then we are to CONTINUE IN PRAYER for that soul and not grow impatient or irritated; and most importantly, thus we should not be frustrated but all the more patient and trusting if that person we reached out to didn’t respond the way we wanted them to. Leave the results to God; we just need to do what God told us to do (obedience); to preach the gospel unto all nations.
6 I planted the seed, Apollos watered it, but God made it grow. 7 So neither he who plants nor he who waters is anything, but only God, who makes things grow. 8 The man who plants and the man who waters have one purpose, and each will be rewarded according to his own labor. 9 For we are God's fellow workers; you are God's field, God's building.- 1 Corinthians 3:6-9
8 For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith—and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God— 9 not by works, so that no one can boast. –Ephesians 2:8-9
God said that we are to preach the gospel unto all nations; we are to be preachers and not dictators. When God said, “in love”, it means that we are to be careful and mindful on how we share the gospel. We must not only remember their spiritual condition but also take into consideration their physical and emotional condition as well. To be careful doesn’t mean we are to change the gospel, for if we do that, then we are not sharing the true gospel and may produce false converts.
We are not to share the gospel like giving out flyers, not caring about anything else other than to give out every flyer in our hands for the sake of finishing a task to get a reward. We are to follow the examples set by Jesus. He related to every soul He encountered. He related to each one of them personally in perfect love. He didn’t said, “Hey I have something to share to you so better listen up.” We will also not find any account of Him forcing anyone. Jesus never did it by force nor insensitively; He shared His word in love as He related to each one of them. It is the example we all should follow. [Read: Mark 10:17-30, Luke 19:1-10]
- But thanks be to God, who always leads us as captives in Christ's triumphal procession and uses us to spread the aroma of the knowledge of him everywhere.-2 Corinthians 2:14
- Are we beginning to commend ourselves again? Or do we need, like some people, letters of recommendation to you or from you? 2 You yourselves are our letter, written on our hearts, known and read by everyone. 3 You show that you are a letter from Christ, the result of our ministry, written not with ink but with the Spirit of the living God, not on tablets of stone but on tablets of human hearts.
- 4 Such confidence we have through Christ before God. 5 Not that we are competent in ourselves to claim anything for ourselves, but our competence comes from God. 6 He has made us competent as ministers of a new covenant—not of the letter but of the Spirit; for the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.-2 Corinthians 3:3-6
Another thing we ought to remember every time we share the gospel is that that’s the only thing we can, though still it is still by God’s grace that we are able to share it in the first place. God did not commanded us to save people, that’s His job, what he commanded us is to lead them to Him by sharing the gospel and by living a Christ-centred life.
There are no saving power whatsoever in our words. We must not be deceived into thinking that the word of God needs our words to be effective.
12 For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.-Hebrews 4:12
If God is the only one that saves then He is also the only one who can change that person. Salvation and Sanctification are purely God’s work. We are just graciously given the “privilege” to be used by the Almighty Father, to share the gospel, to live a life of glory to His name and leading the lost to Him, and through our ministries. Not because He’s not able to do it without us, but because He wants us to join Him that we may experience Him in such a way and strengthen our faith and know Him more as we walk closely with Him.
- But we ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers beloved by the Lord, because God chose you as the firstfruits to be saved, through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth. - 2 Thessalonians 2:13
- I have been crucified with Christ. It is no longer I who live, but Christ who lives in me. And the life I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. - Galatians 2:20
- Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. - 2 Corinthians 5:17
- 10 For we are God’s handiwork, created in Christ Jesus to do good works, which God prepared in advance for us to do.-Ephesians 2:10
- Now may the God of peace himself sanctify you completely, and may your whole spirit and soul and body be kept blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. - 1 Thessalonians 5:23
- Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth. - John 17:17
Continue In Prayer
The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.-James 5:16
And this is the confidence which we have before Him, that, if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us in whatever we ask, we know that we have the requests which we have asked from Him. -1 John 5:14-15
You ask and do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, so that you may spend it on your pleasures. - James 4:3
Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. - Philippians 4:6-7
Rejoice always; pray without ceasing. in everything give thanks; for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus.- 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
- I can do all this through him who gives me strength.-Philippians 4:13
- "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.-2 Corinthians 12:9
God has given us a very powerful weapon with prayer. The truth that we are now able to directly and personally communicate with the Almighty, sovereign, all powerful God, at any time wherever we may be, is our power---our advantage. Therefore, we should not look on prayer less than it is. Prayer is also an essential ingredient as we share the gospel. We are to pray before, during and after sharing. We are to pray as often as we can,making it our very life.
Though God commanded us to share to gospel He did not mean that we are to do it alone. He will still be with us and in us. Therefore we must constantly and sincerely call upon His name.
So when sharing the gospel we must always always always pray about it. And then we are to pray even more. Let us not focus on seeing results but just wait on God. Continue ushering that person to Christ IN LOVE, and pray pray pray!
We cannot go ahead of God’s will; we cannot object to it, nor even question it. We just have to BE STILL AND KNOW HE IS GOD (psalm 46:10) as we TRUST and OBEY.
FAITH, OBEDIENCE, TRUST, PRAYER
PRESS ON IN JESUS’ NAME!
SOLI DEO GLORIA