15 Mind Blowing Quotes: Motivational Quotes for 2018!
I have always loved quotes. The ability to distill great truths to their essence is an extraordinary gift. I have decided to share some of my favorite quotes with my creative and existential friends. I hope that one will enjoy these quotes as much as I do. As an aside, I make no promises about my commentary on the various quotes.
1. Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn’t have to do it himself. - A.H.Weiler. This is one of my favorite quotes of all time. I believe that people in management truly believe this sentiment. So what, if you now have to do the work of three people because of layoffs. You can do it, just pull up yourself up by your bootstraps and put your nose to the grindstone. This quote can also apply to many different situations like schoolwork or any other impossible project; however, this quote does not always have to deal with projects. Sometimes, you tell someone how hard your life is, and that someone will adopt the attitude this quote describes. So what that you car broke down and your job is twenty miles away. You can ride the bus! So what, that paying for childcare leaves you very little money to pay for repairs. You can pinch a few pennies and have the money in no time. I could go on and on, but you should get the picture by now.
2. Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even in prayer. - Mark Twain. I have never hit my finger with a hammer and thought of prayer, but I have said many different vulgar words in startling combinations after banging my finger. In addition, I know that God is holy, holy, holy but he must have looked at our behavior on earth and at least said dang it!
3. Only the mediocre are always at their best.- Jean Giraudox. This quote is especially true if you think that this Hub is only mediocre. Okay, in all seriousness, not everything that one writes is going t be brilliant, and it might help one to remember that fact while writing.
4. A child is a curly, dimpled lunatic. - Ralph Waldo Emerson. Okay, I realize that your child was not/ is not a curly, dimpled lunatic, but what about the neighbor’s kid? As an aside, some psychologists believe toddlers would murder each other if they had access to weapons.
5. I have never seen a greater monster or miracle than me. - Montagaine. I know that I have dark side, and that most of the time, I have to keep him on a short leash. I truly believe that if you do not believe that you have a dark side, you are fooling yourself. By the way, the greatest miracle I have ever seen is my wife (she weighed 1pound and 6 ounces at birth).
6. Only the shallow know themselves-Oscar Wilde. We are a complicated species, and we hardly ever stay the same throughout our lives.
7. Nothing is illegal if a hundred businessmen decide to do it. - Andrew Young. Nothing has proven that more than the current financial crisis. Many people committed fraud and deserved to go to jail but got away with it because they were part of the crowd.
8. The only normal people are the ones you don’t know very well. - Joe Anis. Trust me, your neighbors and friends are hiding some dark truth that you do not want to know about.
9. Truth is beautiful without a doubt: but so are lies. - Ralph Waldo Emerson. What lies does society feed us every day, and we swallow them without asking questions?
10. Honest critism is hard to take, particularly from a relative, a friend, an acquaintance, or a stranger. Franklin P Jones. Okay, I may be a little thin skinned, but let someone criticize your writing or your kids and see how you react.
11. Everyday people are staying away from the church and going to God. - Lenny Bruce. Some Christian reader’s jaws are probably hitting the floor right about now. What would a foul mouth comic know about God? The point is that many churches seem ready to sacrifice their own. Church should be a safe place for wounded hearts. Church should not be a place to go to be stoned for one’s sins.
12. You can’t say civilization don’t advance…in every war, they kill you a new way. - Will Rogers. I have argued recently that ethically, we have not advanced very much, but Will Rogers shows me that civilization has advanced rapidly.
13. It is easier to get forgiveness than permission. - Murphy’s Law. I might get in trouble for this one. I do not believe that one should try to rationalize their way into doing unethical things; however, some rules are just so unfair or stupid that asking for permission to do something is an exercise in futility.
14. Reality is a collective hunch. - Lily Tomlin and Jayne Wagner. Yes, I have gone existential on you. Nevertheless, the reality of some things, like how the economy works, is nebulous at best.
15. When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw. All great humor contains a kernel of truth or it would not be funny.
In closing, I hope that these quotes have led you to some great epiphany or at least a chuckle.