Religion- Peeking through the veil
A scene from a bollywood movie Oh My God!:
News Anchor in a live television show in the movie: What do you think is the role of religion in a man's life?
Kanji Bhai(real name of actor- Paresh Rawal): Only two. Either it makes a man powerless, or it makes him a terrorist.
Why do we need religion?
I loved it when mom told me she loved me no matter what. I'd do all kinds of mischief and dad would kick my ass but mommy; She's always been there for me. She's the best and I had made up my mind that nobody loves me as much as mom.
But then she told me that God loves me more.
"Really? Will he forgive me every single time as many times as you do?" I asked.
"Maybe. Depends on how bad you've been." She replied.
"If I'm very bad will he punish me?" I inquired.
"He might." She said
"Will you?" I was curious.
"I couldn't even if I wanted to. You see mommy is not perfect like God. She has flaws. She cannot make harsh decisions when you are involved, her brain isn't wired that way.
But that doesn't mean you can get away with misconduct ok? God is watching all the time and he will love you only if you're a good boy."
Lesson I should have learnt: Be a good boy.
Lesson I learnt: Mommy wins.
Why exactly do we need religion? What is the point of rituals that involve mental exhaustion, physical torment and animal brutality? How is sitting all day at church going to be more productive than spending time with the person or working toward the goal that you are praying for? What has your one month fasting got you apart from a weak mind and weaker body? Climbing hills to pour liters of milk on idols; Why not give a little to the homeless beggar who spent the night on your porch? You kicked him away cussing and swearing and then went to the Ganges to wash away your 'sins'. That should help.
- Help others to get into god's good books. No matter how much they deny, during any kind act, it is always at the back of their mind.
- Spend hours praying. Only if they used it for some productive work, they wouldn't even have to pray and their prayers would be answered.
- CANNOT acknowledge that their God Might be nothing more than their imagination. Because then, their whole life would become a lie. All that time spent praying and talking to their all powerful friend would seem irrational and stupid. Make them look like fools. It is so important to make sense of their past that they are willing to overlook all logic that could eventually make their future a better place to be in.
- Look at me with pity in their eyes. Because I will rot in hell. They are not sympathetic though. Because "I deserve it. I deserve to be taught a lesson for this kind of blasphemy." It gives them satisfaction to know that I shall be skinned and sliced and cobbled and torn apart for eternity.
- Do not realise that we have a medical term for people with similar thoughts; Psychopaths.
- Might some day put a bullet in my chest because I wrote this. They did so to a couple of bloggers from Bangladesh.
- Never ask questions. They know the answers. The ones they don't, they dare not question because god works in mysterious ways.
One Rule. SURVIVAL.
When the chips are down and there's nowhere to go, the most basic instinct takes over. It doesn't matter what you're up against, doesn't matter the price you have to pay, you will do all you can to survive. It is in your DNA.
Tell me something who do you think wrote the religious books? Are you certain it is who you've been told it is?
Or is it a valid point to consider that maybe, just maybe the books were written to instill fear in masses and in the process create blind followers? People who won't question, who will merely do what they are told because is "The Almighty's will." We are afraid of what we do not understand. What is more difficult to understand than an all powerful force who sees everything, knows everything and does nothing?
- Will you not steal an empty grocery store if you haven't eaten shit in two days?
- If you're stuck inside a cave for 3 days straight without food and water will you care about haram and halal when I bring you chicken dumplings?
- Do you apologise every time you slam your meaty hand on an unfortunate mosquito that was just trying to feed?
- Will you not, if you had the chance, kill the guy who has been paid to shoot you the moment he finds you?
Question everything my friend. An inquiring mind is the single most fantastic gift you can give yourself. If you are satisfied with the answer, great. Never settle before that. There will be times when you won't get an answer. Big deal. Accept that you don't know. Not only will that make you humble, it will make you a happier person because you have been honest with yourself.