Which is your Favorite?
Which is your Favorite Religious Finding?
10 Religious Findings
This is in no way the only ten (10) religious findings in the world. However, this list is composed of the most significant findings regarding the Christian religion. Every year archeologists dig all over the world in search of religious findings. Below, is a list of the most known findings in the Christian religion.
1. Oldest Christian Church: The Church was excavated in the late 1990's in Israel. Dating has found it to be 230 A.D. They found a table with the Christian fish symbol (ichthus) and other items that represent Christ such as the inscription on the Eucharistic Table which stated: Jesus Christ, Son of God, Savior. An amazing discovery in the religious world to say the least. This was a great discovery for religious artifacts.
2. Excavation of Pontius Pilate: Jesus was crucified and according to the New Testament during the reign of Pilate. Pilate was Rome's Governor. In 1961, excavators located an underground "cave" if you will, with inscriptions carved in the walls. This was located in Italy. Inscriptions on the stone, date back to the time of the New Testament and The Holy Bible. This find was huge for religious authorities who feel vindicated on some fronts. Like finally some critics can be silenced because of this tremendous finding. Media and newspaper coverage was huge at the time on this revelation.
3. Shroud of Turin: The Shroud of Turin is currently located in a Cathedral in Italy. This cloth/shroud was discovered in 1578. It bears the image of Jesus Christ. It is believed to be the cloth used by Joseph of Arimathea. Apostle Peter found two separate pieces of linen cloth in Jesus' tomb. Without a doubt, this is one of the most famous and most controversial of all the items on this list. There are many critics that would like to believe any little consistency as a way to try to prove that The Shroud of Turin is not real but, so far, The Shroud has checked out as nothing but authentic.
4. Dead Sea Scrolls: These scrolls were found in Palestine in the Dead Sea Caves. These are the oldest known text ever found about the Bible. This holy scripture was found during the early 40's and 50's and carbon dating puts at 150 B.C. Today, these scrolls can be viewed, replicas of the Dead Sea Scrolls can be bought or downloaded online and bought at some book stores. Different online retail stores have these Dead Sea Scrolls for sale as well.
5. Amulet Scroll: This scroll dates back to the beginning of the 6th century. It is the oldest item ever bearing the name Yahweh, which means God. It was found in a tomb dating back to the time of David in the Old Testament. An Amulet is used to protect and individual from evil.
6. Ossuary of Caiaphas: Caiaphas was the High Priest in the time of Jesus in the New Testament. In Matthew, Luke and John, Jesus was brought before this priest for questioning. This Ossuary was found in Jerusalem and contains the bones of Caiaphas.
7. St. Peter's House: This site was found in the late 70's or 80's near the Seal of Galilee. In the house there were found two (2) churches with inscriptions and other religious items. It has been questioned by some if this find is the real deal but, most experts believe it to be of the right time and place in history. It is more hard to disprove than just to believe the find. For more information on Peter, you can read about him in The Holy Bible.
8. Kensington Runestone: This stone has the inscription. "Hail Virgin Mary, Save From Evil." It is located in Minnesota, in the United States. This object has questions regarding the time it was actually made but, at any rate it is very old and historical nonetheless as it pertains to Christianity and religion.
9. The Los Lunas Stone: In 1933 it was excavated in New Mexico. The inscription Yahweh appears 4 times and it looks to be like an old tablet of Ten Commandments. The date has been challenged but Carbon dating proves it to be near the ancient times to say the least about the subject.
10. Inscription of The House of David: In the house was found, texts with the inscription, House of David and large fragments of pottery which carbon date to the 8th century B.C.
I now know someone who was privileged enough to go to Greece this past summer on an archeological dig. It sounded like the trip was going to be exciting. I have gotten word that he had a great time.
* If you have a certain religious discovery that tickles your fancy I would love to hear from you. simply leave your thoughts in the comments capsule located at the bottom of this religious article.
Where was it found?
view quiz statistics
Links To Religion
- Prophets of the Old Testament
This article is about the Prophets of the Old Testament in the Holy Bible. Pictures, videos and commentary are featured in this article along with other religious information.
- Persecuted and Hurt: The Early Christian Church Carried On
This article describes the early Christian Church and their efforts to form a world wide congregation. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are listed in this hub as well as other facts about the church during it's early years.
- Bible Miracles
This internet article is about some of the many miracles in the Bible. The turning of water into wine, and the feeding of the 5,000 people with several loaves of bread and more are listed in this blog. Pictures, you tube videos, maps and commentary a
- Mini Jerusalem in Alabama
This particular hub was written after 2 trips to Cullman, AL, to the Ava Maria Grotto. This is not a bad drive considering this particular Landmark is in Alabama and kind of close to me. This hub will explain each individual work of art and his inspi
- Catholic Traditions
This article is about the Most Blessed Sacrament located in Hanceville, Alabama. This Shrine is for Catholics, monks and any lover of God to visit. It has a beautiful church adorned with amazing paintings and pictures. You tube videos, pictures, poll
- Jimmie Hale Mission: Helping Those In Need
This article is written on The Jimmie Hale Mission, located in Birmingham, Alabama. It is much more than just a homeless shelter, they also help with job placement. Volunteers work year round especially during the holidays, to make sure they get ever
Shroud of Turin
Real or Fake?
Some religious discoveries have been proven to be frauds while others have been proven to be authentic. Many people, Theologists included, argue over many religious items and whether their are real or fake articles. The Dead Sea Scrolls and the Shroud of Turin have been the subject of many debates over the years.
Television documentaries have been made several times over the decades about this topic.
Location of the Dead Sea Scrolls
© 2012 Buster Johnson