America Is Lost - Pray for the Church!
Banner of the Pilgrims
The Only Nation Blessed by Name!
I Am Thankful to be an American.
One Nation Under God - Nice Thought.
Being that I have been around longer than most of my readers, I grew up in a political atmosphere that was diametrically opposed to that we are subjected today. Love of country, Merry Christmas was politically correct, BB guns and 22's were highly acceptable gifts, no fences in our neighborhood, schools promoted femininity and masculinity via dress codes, corporal punishment via the "board-of-education" was the standard practice in home or school and our only true threat would come from Russian bombers. Enough memory lane for it was all a ruse, a calm before the storm that would be unleashed in the 60's.
The 60's was the era of the true nature of America's sin problem finally festering to the surface and bursting forth into full bloom. Prayer was banned from the schools, the murder of the unborn became a legally protected right, women rushed to become more man-like, while men began to investigate their feminine side. Mainstream cinema was unleashed to foist on the American public the vulgarity, the pornographic and horrid realism that once limited those kind of movies to back-alley theatres used by the social perverts.
But the worst of it all was how quickly the American church capitulated to the onslaught by trying to evolve into a more society-friendly institution rather than maintaining a true separation from the mainstream culture. The church rushed to produce more friendly bible translations and tons of paraphrases, many designed to make them appear more accepting of the sinner and less condemning of the sin! Jesus became a fire insurance policy, a needed friend to help you in all your problems in life. We changed our music from a godly dependence upon God to one of self-esteem and being centered on our strength: how many songs have you heard that stress the phrase "I will"? So much to say; so little time.
History, So Much His-Story!
Israel - One Nation Under God!
No where in scripture do we find one nation other than Israel being chosen (elected) by God for salvation and being held accountable to His religious and civic standards for holiness. The Law did not come through America; the millennial reign of Christ was never promised to any one nation save Israel and no city on earth outside of Jerusalem did God choose to place His name (1 Kings 11:36). Only Israel as a nation:
- ...has been called to holiness. Leviticus 19:2
- ...has been elected by God to salvation. Deuteronomy7:7-8 "The Lord did not set his love upon you, nor choose you because ye were more in number than any people; for ye were the fewest of all people: but because the Lord loved you and because He would keep the oath which He had sworn unto your fathers..." Romans 11:26-28 "And so all Israel shall be saved....As concerning the Gospel, they are enemies for your sakes: but as touching the election, the are beloved for the father's sakes."
- ...is a nation with a Savior. Acts 13:23 "...according to His promise, raised unto Israel a Savior, Jesus:".
America has played at godliness from its founding because the people as a nation enjoyed the peace, the opportunities and the freedom that comes naturally to following, in a large part, biblical principles. Do not be deceived, the wickedness has been here from beginning but at time ordained by God, He has allowed a shaking of this country to its very core and the shallowness of our peace and prosperity churches is now blatantly evident. There always have been and will be Churches that stand upon the Word, that preach the Truth, in season and out and will not cave in to the mores of the day. Sadly, they are becoming more and more rare as so many compromise, thinking they will be able to reach more for the Savior. They have forgotten that it is the work of the Holy Spirit to draw men to Christ and not the latest hottest programs, dumping the older and wiser thinking that their success lies in reaching the youth which is a massive failure or the watering down of the Gospel message so as not to offend. We in a large way have become a stench in the nostrils of God: is it any wonder the Church is suffering a terrible shaking in America to rid us of chaff we have allowed into our sacred assemblies?
The Once Vaunted Symbol of America.
What Is Our Duty To Our Country?
"When I hear or read the phrase - we need to pray for America - the first thing that pops into my mind is - what are we to pray about?
- Lord give us a Christian as president or least someone who is kind of religious or...
- Help us to maintain our current lifestyles that we may continue in our present spiritual state or...
- Give us new leadership that hates the things we hate and will bring swift justice to those policies and individuals we hold to be unjust or...
- To lower our tax burdens that we may keep more of what we earn and give more to Your work - (right) or...
- Take us back to a more godly America which as I stated, was just a ruse or in the word's of Yul Brenner in the King and I - etc., etc., etc.
The Word is very specific and to the point concerning our relationship to the country in which we find ourselves, whether it is in America, Hong Kong, Europe or South Africa. Five points:
- We are to submit - whoa, what a nasty word. 1 Peter 2:13-15 "Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord's sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme; or unto governors...For so is the will of God...". In other words we are not to be known as law breakers no matter the form of government we live under.
- We are to honor - (the un-honorable?) 1 Peter 2:17 "Honor all men. Love the brotherhood. Fear God. Honor the king." We are to give respect to the position and the one holding the position no matter our personal take. Our Lord honored Pontius Pilate and brought no accusation against him as point 4 will make this more clear. As a Marine, I did as I was ordered, though not always agreeing with the command but one thing always ensued, order was maintained.
- We are to pray - now that's more like it. 1 Timothy 2:1-3 "I exhort therefore, that, first of all, supplications, prayers...giving of thanks be made for all men; for kings, and for all that are in authority, that we may lead a quiet and peaceable life in all godliness and honesty. For this is good and acceptable in the sight of God our Savior;". I do not see anything about maintaining the status quo, nor improving our lot in the secular society or replacing the existing authorities with more acceptable individuals. God has His own reasons.
- The American and all governments are ordained by God! Romans 13:1 "...For there is NO power but of God: the powers that be are ORDAINED of God." I would be very careful resisting that which He has ordained for His purposes. None of the apostles resisted the power of Rome but worked within the system according to the will of God and you and I are here today as a result of their faithfulness. The best example is our Lord Jesus, He never once resisted the authority of Rome and in John 19:11 He validated Pilate's authority was from the Father - "Jesus answered, Thou couldest have no power at all against me, except it were given thee from above: therefore he that delivered me unto thee hath the greater sin."
- We need to be prepared - to suffer for obeying God rather than men. Acts 4:19-20 "...Whether it be right in the sight of God to hearken unto you more than unto God, judge YE. For we cannot but speak the things which we have seen and heard." And in Acts 5:29 - "..We ought to obey God rather than men." Notice no rebellion but left themselves to the judgment of the powers that be in the face of doing that which is right according to Word of God.
In America, the church has taken the way of the world in that we demand our constitutional rights rather than suffering for doing that which is right in God's eyes. We don't rejoice, we sue. Every time we do, we bring shame and hatred to the name of Christ as we cram our citizen's rights down the throat of those we so indignantly oppose. Christian attorneys are big business in this country, so very similar to the Pharisees who were more concerned with man's laws and traditions than the power of the Truth. The Hall of Faith (Hebrews 11) is filled with the godly who obeyed God rather than men and suffered the consequences at men's hands, not because of rebellion but because of faithfulness.