- Religion and Philosophy
Samhain Pagan Pumpkin Carving Printable Stencils
Wiccan Pumpkin Stencils
I love jack-o-lantern carving. I especially love to make my own pumpkin stencils to create unique designs. Since Samhain is different from Halloween to me, I like to make more Pagan- friendly pumpkins to put out on the altar and around the home. Nothing like doing a ritual in a room surrounded by glowing Pagan-themed jack-o-lanterns!
I’m offering these jack-o-lantern stencils for your own use this Halloween if you like.
Please keep in mind, stencils are all originals, copyright WiccanSage.
- Print them
- Use them on your jack-o-lanterns
- Take pictures of your finished jack-o-lanterns and share them (though if you post them on a website I would appreciate a link back)
- Direct your friends to this page to share them
- Print and distribute them for free to other Pagans pumpkin carving activities in non-profit gatherings
And just for the record, you may NOT:
- Use them for jack-o-lanterns you intend to carve and sell as decoration
- Print and distribute them for profit
- Publish them on your own web page without written permission from the artist (myself)
- Put them in any newsletter, book, disc, packet of printed papers or any other collection for distribution without written permission from the artist
- Use the design on clothing, holiday cards, coasters, bags, buttons or other novelty objects, either for sale or free distribution without permission from the artist
Hope you enjoy them! Have a blessed Samhain!
Blessed Samhain Pumpkin
Pumpkin Carving Tools!
If you want to do a great job, get the right tools. Nix the little plastic ones for kids, and trie a good carving kit, you'll be amazed at how much better your carvings come out!
Basic Carving Instructions
- Cut a hole about 5 inches in diameter on the bottom of the pumpkin. Scrape out the shmutz.
- Examine the pumpkin for the smoothest side, the perfect size to carve. Try to thin the wall of the pumpkin on the side you're putting the carving to about 1/2 inch thick.
- Resize the image to fit the pumpkin and print it out.
- Cut around the pattern, leaving about 1/2 inch border.
- Tape the pattern to the pumpkin on the smooth side. You may need to crease the paper slightly to ensure it lays flat.
- Transfer the pattern with a metal skewer or a toothpick by poking holes about 1/16 to no more than 1/8 inch part along the edges of the gray and black designs.
- Peel off the taped image, and put the pattern in front of you as a reference.
- Carve through with a pumpkin saw, holding it perpendicular to the pumpkin.
- Scrape (remove just the skin leaving behind the yellow flesh) by tracing around the design shape with a craft knife, piercing the skin and going about 1/8 inch deep. Then hold the craft knife on a 45 degree angle to remove the orange skin.
Samhain Pumpkin Pattern:
Best Tool for Scraping
I use X-acto knives for so many different crafts, and I've found nothing helps cut away layers of pumpkin skin better. This is great for scraping off the orange parts but not cutting all the way through.
- Carve the black pentagram first, straight through with a pumpkin carving saw.
- Scrape the smoke puffs away.
- Carve the cauldron top through with the pumpkin knife.
- Scrape away the skin from the gray parts of the flame.
- Cut through to remove the black parts of the flame.
- Turn the pumpkin upside-down and cut out the letters, starting with the H (using the pumpkin saw to cut clean through). Remve the M and A, then the A and I, then the S and N.
Samhain Ritual on a Pumpkin
Samhain Ritual Pumpkin Pattern
Carving Instructions for Samhain Ritual:
- Carve through the black 'aura' around the head, moon, candle flames. censer, cup reflection and top edge of table.
- Drill holes to make 'stars'.
- Use the scraping technique to remove all gray areas.
- Leave all white areas intact.
Yin/Yang on a Pumpkin:
Yin Yang Pumpkin Pattern
Carving Instructions for Yin/Yang:
- Carve out moon.
- Scrape away skin on left gray shaded area of yin/yang (leave the sun shape skin intact, so it's orange).
- Carve out backwards black "s" shape. Carve the black lines rounding the left and right side of the yin yang.
- Carve out the moon shapes. The top moon, leave intact; just scrape away the gray area.
Spiral Goddess Pumpkin
Spiral Goddess Pumpkin Pattern
Spiral Goddess Pumpkin Instructions:
- Scrape away all the gray areas.
- Carve out the spiral.
- Carve out the black moon parts.
Great Rite Pumpkin
The Great Rite Pumpkin Pattern
Great Rite Carving Instructions:
- Carve through the triple moons, then the knife blade reflection, then the black on the knife handle.
- Scrape away the gray cup. Scrape away the gray knife handle.
- Carve through the black sunburst. Remove them in 'chunks' rather than as whole pieces.
Blessed Samhain Pumpkin
Blessed Samhain Pumpkin Pattern:
Blessed Samhain Carving Instructions:
- Carve out the pentagram first, starting with the inner edges of the lines, working your way to the tips.
- Carve away the D and E at the end of the word 'blessed'.
- Carve away the spiral.
- Carve away the M, H and A in the middle of the word 'Samhain'.
- Carve away the A and the S at the beginning of 'Samhain'.
- Carve away the I and N at the end of Samhain.
- Carve away the S, S, E, L and B of 'blessed'
- Carve away the crescent moon shape around the pentagram. You may need to put your hand inside and hold behind the star to prevent it from breaking off and falling in.
Green Man Pumpkin Stencil
Green Man Carving Instructions:
The Green Man is a very complicated pumpkin pattern and I urge you to wait until you are very comfortable with your carving skills before attempting it. I won't even give too many detailed instructions because once you develop some impressive carving skills you'll know what you should do.
The white parts are the parts you want to go. Keep the black parts, and scrape away the yellow. I know this changes the usual pattern color coding, but this one is so confusing I find it easier to do it this way.
I will remind you that you starting from the inside nose and eye area, begin carving away the white sections, and scraping away the yellow sections, working your way outward as you go.
More Free Pagan Printable Pumpkin Patterns
Want More Pumpkin Patterns?
You can find my most recent patterns here!
This year I've added:
- Maiden, Mother & Crone
- Samhain Cat
- Horned One
- Blade, Cup, Wand & Pentacle
© 2013 Mackenzie Sage Wright