- Religion and Philosophy»
- Exploring Religious Options
How to give a ceremonial prayer in a pluralistic setting
A Sample Graduation Invocation for a Secular Situation
This prayer template is based on more than 20 years of experience praying
before various types of secular assemblies. I hope it proves helpful.
God in heaven—It is our privilege to invite you here as the guest of honor on this __________________ (occasion). It is our request that you would bless this graduating class, but more than that and of first importance, we desire that you would be here with us this evening (morning, afternoon).
Among other things, O God, you are the Creator of the human mind, which you modeled in some fashion after your own great mind. Though we acknowledge that your thoughts are infinitely higher and more profound than ours, we glory in the notion that we may, on our own level, think some of your thoughts after you in this place. Thank you for the precious gifts of knowledge and discovery.
I ask on behalf of those gathered here that you would indeed bless each of these graduates. Give them the grace to make a difference for the good wherever they may find themselves in the years ahead.
- For those who will pursue further education, grant not only the knowledge they will need in their chosen fields, but also wisdom to apply that knowledge to life as it really is.
- For those who will be going directly into the workforce, give a sense of what is right and good and appropriate in the often-confusing issues they will face.
- For those in military service, may they draw courage and strength from you. May they serve our country and all of humanity with integrity and honor.
- For all of these graduates and the families of which they are a part, we ask that they may make a significant contribution to the general welfare of society. May they especially be a blessing to those whose lives they personally touch.
And now, may you be pleased with what is done here this evening (morning, afternoon). Thank you for your presence.
It is in the name above all others that I pray, Amen.
Check out my website: mbogart.com If you enjoyed this hub, there is a similar one at A Sample Invocation for a Public Meeting I also have a video explaining Islam from a purely objective viewpoint available on mindcuisine.com