- Religion and Philosophy»
- Paranormal Beliefs & Experiences
Science vs Paranormal-Near Death Experiences
Scientific part of the argument
First of all, I hope that scientists or scientific minds do not kill me or hunt me down after this post because I am a 100 percent believer in near death experiences, so I am sorry scientists and scientific people, but for me you have lost this argument. Just kidding and this article is not about my viewpoint its about yours who is reading this.
Let us get started by first describing what an near death experience really is. NDE is an experience that takes place when a person is on the brink of death and involves strange experiences and sensations. These experiences and sensations involve levitation, out of body experience, vision of a tunnel, meeting dead relatives and much more. The experience that took place in Bruce Almighty when Jim Carrey was hit by a truck that is an NDE. Now those of you who did not knew what an NDE is know what it is so let us move forward.
Let me focus on the scientific part of the argument first.
* NDE involves out of body experiences and the temporal junction is said to be the part of the brain that is responsible for out of body sensations. Temporal junction collects data about body's senses and organs to form a perception of the individual's body.
* Excessive carbon dioxide is the cause of white light and the tunnel according to some scientists and I almost forgot that it is maybe the cause of white light and tunnel. Maybe being the keyword here and that means scientists are not sure.
* Lack of oxygen to the brain causes hallucinations and nde is nothing other than a hallucination.
* NDE occurs when the person is conscious before death or after his or her revival and not in between and it all takes place inside the brain without anything paranormal about it.
Paranormal part of the arguement
Now let us come to the paranormal side of the argument. Paranormal side of the argument is that near death experiences are real and the soul actually goes out of the body when a person is dead for some time or almost dead. All the experiences like floating, watching your own body, going through a tunnel and meeting dead relatives all are real for the paranormal believers. Some cases of ndes are there were actual happenings that took place when a person was dead have been confirmed by that person when he or she was dead but scientists disagree.
Now let me tell you something about a person named Pam Renolds. Pam Renolds has the strongest case of nde experience.
* Pam was going through a surgery and her body temprature was lowered so that her heart beat could be stopped and she can be put to death.
* After being clinically dead she had an nde that changed her life.
* Pam verified the equipment, number of people in the operation room and the talk between the nurses.
* Pam also claimed that she met her deceased uncle, grandmother and other friends and relatives at the end of the tunnel which she passed through during her nde.
* Pam Renolds also confirmed the song that was playing when she got back into her body.
* Nde believers take Pam's case to be the best proof of nde while scientists deny it to be true.
* Pam's case is just one and there are many cases in which people have reported certain facts when they were dead or nearly dead and these reporting these facts is not possible without the existence of something paranormal.
* Even things that are happening out of the room have been reported.
Now let me tell you something about the world's largest near death experiences study conducted by Dr Sam Parnia.
* This study was done on 2060 patients of 15 different hospital from Austria, United States and United Knigdom.
* The study concluded that more research is needed on the subject on nde and one case was validated and conciousness seemed to occur when the person was dead.
* 9 percent people also had nde and 39 percent had awareness but no recall of events.
* 2 percent had full awareness along with OBE's and recall of events.
* It was concluded that this is not proof of nde atleast scientifically because of very low percentage of such patients but IT IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DISCLAIM OR DISCREDIT THEM EITHER.
* Clearly more research is needed in the area.
* One more thing that is confusing is the similarity of experiences among different individuals and the seemingly paranormal nature of the experiences. If brain activity is heightened then experiences should vary from individual to individual but all experiences are almost alike confirming the existence of something paranormal.
The doctor in the video is a real doctor as I have verified it.
It is simple to assume that both of these sides have strong beliefs and explanations for their beliefs. These sides may not ever agree or they may agree but one thing is for sure that more research is necessary in this field to prove or disapprove the phenomenon know as near death experience. One more thing is that I am not going to reveal my view of this arguement.
These links are for your further reference
- Evidence of the Afterlife: The Science of Near-Death Experience by Jeffrey Long, MD with Paul Perry
'Evidence of the Afterlife' presents evidence of an afterlife and shares firsthand accounts of those people who have died and lived to tell about it. Through their work at the Near Death Experience Research Foundation, radiation oncologist Jeffrey Lo
- Peace of Mind: Near-Death Experiences Now Found to Have Scientific Explanations - Scientific America
- Decoding The Mystery Of Near-Death Experiences : NPR
Some researchers are exploring whether a mind can operate while the brain has stopped. One neuroscientist says that after a near-death experience, people's brains appear to undergo changes at the neural level.
© 2016 Kshitiz Gaur