- Religion and Philosophy»
- Astrology & Metaphysics
Some Thoughts on a Deeper Meditation
Meditation is something that I try to do often. Normally when I meditate my mind clears for a bit and it leaves me feeling clear headed and peaceful and I go on my way. However, every once in a while I seem to drift into a deeper meditation than usual. When I come out of it I still feel that clarity, but I have a lot of questions and processing about the things that went on during the meditation. For some reason, this still comes to a surprise to me when it happens. I never really know for sure what triggers this when it happens, it can be a variety of things.
Steps to a Deeper Meditation
- Find a quiet, dimly lit room ( I do like to have some light, either a soft lamp, candles, or a salt lamp lit.)
- Find a position that is comfortable for you. I usually sit with my legs crossed. Lying down on your back works to. Just be comfortable.
- Close your eyes and start taking deep breaths ( your belly should expand when you inhale).
- Make sure to keep breathing, evenly.
- I usually set an intention and invite only Divine spirits to join me in the meditation.
- I clear my mind and sit quietly.
Suggestions to Go Deeper
To go deeper I usually chant. "OM" is a good chant to use. There are others as well. This has always helped me just focus on the present and not let my mind wander.
Another way is just to focus on the breathing. Think how your breath feels coming in as you inhale. Think of how it feels going out as you exhale. Feel the rise and fall of your chest. Feel the expansion of your belly.
Use a guided meditation program. There are a lot of these, you can even find some on YouTube or other internet places. You can download them or buy them from various places. These can help you stay focused if you have trouble sitting there quietly. These are good, especially if you're just learning.
Music. I love to listen to music as I meditate. Something gentle and relaxing though. They also have music for meditation available. Singing bowls make for an amazing meditation.
Uh Oh! I Can't Clear My Mind!!
That's OK! It takes practice to learn to meditate and clear our minds. It's hard not to let your mind wander and the chatter of the day go on inside. Some things you can do:
- Re-focus on the music, breathing, etc...
- Start out meditating for just a few minutes (eg. 5-10 minutes) when you can do that with a quiet mind, add on to it until you reach your goal.
- Use that guided meditation I mentioned earlier!
- Just remind yourself to stop thinking.