- Religion and Philosophy
THE OCCULT FOUNDATION OF ELLEL MINISTRIES DANGEROUS PRACTICES
Psychology is typically regarded as a "soft" science because of the lack of substantive proof that any of its theories are actually true. Because psychology is a science of the mind, variables include emotions and behaviour which are not directly observable. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders (DSA) has been called a work of fiction by its critics and many regard psychology as a pseudo-science.
Sigmund Freud (1856-1939) is considered the father of psychoanalysis. He was an agnostic Jew, a cocaine addict and depressive who accepted the theories of Charles Darwin. Freud experimented with the occult and there are many similarities between Freud’s psychoanalysis and the occult doctrines of the Cabala. His deep unconscious teaching involved a process of regression under hypnosis in order to uncover repressed sexual desires in the subconscious mind which he believed were the primary cause of people’s problems.Freud described religion as an illusion and compared it to childhood neurosis. In particular he was very hostile towards Christianity and rejected the biblical doctrine that sin is the root of the problem of the human condition.
Carl Jung (1875-1961) introduced Jungian analytic psychology and his theory of the ‘collective unconscious’. He was an adept who was heavily into the occult having ‘spirit guides’, two of which were called Philemon and Basilides. Both Freud and Jung were members of the Society of Psychical Re-search in London (SPR) and the American Society for Psychical Re-search in New York. Jung saw his psychology as a contemporary counterpart to Gnosticism. At one point Jung felt that his house became crowded with spirits which he concluded were the spirits of the dead. 'From that time on, the dead have become ever more distinct for me as the voices of the Unanswered, Unresolved, and Unredeemed'. (gnosis.org) There is a link between Freud, Jung and Theosophy since both men were associated with the Viennese Blue Lodge of Theosophy. Alice Bailey, founder of The Lucis Trust (formerly Lucifer Trust) took instruction from Jung . Both Freud and Jung’s alternative to the problem of sin was inner healing through the very shaky hypothesis of psychiatry.
I only mention the above very briefly because it is on this foundation of sand (Matthew 7/24-27) that the teachings of Agnes Sanford (1897-1982), the so called "Mother of the Inner Healing Movement" are built. Sanford began to introduce Jungian psychology and occult ideas into the church under the guise of Christianity in the 1940s. In her books there are many references to Jung and she used identical terminology. Sanford was a leading figure in the Charismatic movement in the US during the 1960s and 70s and it was through her influence that inner healing took hold of Christianity. Inner healing is now widespread within many denominations, but it must be rejected because its roots are in psychology and the occult - if the root is bad then the whole tree is bad. (Matthew 7/17-20; Luke 6/43)
Mrs. Sanford taught that the principles of prayer and healing are universal—that is, they are included in all religions, yet transcend all religions. http://heyjoi.tripod.com/
In her Book The Healing Light, Sanford’s unbiblical pantheistic beliefs are very obvious. God is a life force, a form of energy like electricity; "the original force that we call God (p 30)....we are part of God (p 34)....He's in nature, and He is nature (p 35)....I was conscious of oneness with God, and therefore with the snake which God had made" (p 69). Sanford claimed to have had an out-of-body experience and went back to the time of her pre-existent soul.
Agnes Sandford’s books are used by the Luciferian Theosophical Society, as her mysticism is ancient occult practice.
Ellel Ministries is just one of the many so called Christian ministries involved with inner healing. Ellel combines inner healing and deliverance with the dangerous teaching by Derek Prince about generational curses which apply the curses of Deuteronomy 28 to believers. Ellel is a highly sophisticated non-denominational organisation whose Founder & International Director is Peter Horrobin.
Peter Horrobin teaches that Christians can be inhabited by demons, not on any scriptural grounds, but on the grounds of "experience". He argues: On the premise that demonic deliverance is unknown in secular society we must conclude that deliverance is only applicable to Christians. Below is a summary of Peter Horrobin’s teaching in this area which is taken from ‘Sex and the Demonic’ (youtube.com):
When theology contradicts experience then there is something wrong with our understanding of theology. We must go back to scripture and seek God for His understanding. Regarding generational sins, Nehemiah 1 says “I and my ancestors we have sinned”. Generational sins can be dealt with by a breaking or cutting of the generational line through confession and repentance of ancestral sins. The word ‘possess’ means to own so that Christians are bought with a price - the blood of Jesus which makes us His possession. However because we are possessed by Jesus this does not make us free of the demonic because Jesus takes us just as we are. Just as in a house purchase when we take possession of a property –that property may have termites and we have to take action to get rid of them – i.e. we deliver the house of termites. Deliverance is part of the sanctification (cleaning up) process. Jesus overcame Satan personally but the world is under the control of the evil one.
From a Biblical perspective there are several problems with Peter Horrobin’s teaching:
· There is no biblical precedent for casting out demons from believers. It is not part of the Apostles teaching. Demons were always cast out of unbelievers in the Bible.
· There is no record in the Bible of any believer ever being demon possessed.
· Experience is no substitute for scripture. The Bible tells us not to "lean on our own understanding’"(Proverbs 3/5) – our own experience cannot be relied upon. Interestingly, Agnes Sanford also said that "experience comes before theology’"
· The assumption Peter Horrobin makes is that there is something wrong with our theology when it does not fit into our experience. We cannot read into scripture something that is not there (this is eisegesis - making scripture fit what we want it to say).
· The Bible says that we have received forgiveness of sins: In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of our trespasses, according to the riches of his grace. (Ephesians 1/7) The only time we need forgiveness is when we sin in the future – all past sins are blotted out on conversion. See also Acts 10/43, 26/18 etc.
· The house purchase metaphor is contradictory. What Peter Horrobin is saying is that Jesus Christ takes possession of us ‘just as we are’ i.e. any demons that we may have had remain after conversion. If we go back to Peter Horrobin’s own metaphor of the house; when we do take legal possession of a literal house, the old inhabitant has to move out. If anyone has a demon by biblical definition they are possessed i.e. owned: Strong’s No. 1139 daimonízomai (from 1142 /daímōn) means to be possessed by a demon. The Bible says nothing about joint possession – we cannot be possessed by two owners, Jesus Christ and demons at the same time. The ‘termites’ as Horrobin puts it, are not the owners of that house, they do not possess it, and so by very definition they cannot be demons. Christ does not take possession of an old house with termites, the new birth and indwelling of the Holy Spirit necessitates that we become a ‘new creation’ in Christ Jesus. Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation. The old has passed away; behold, the new has come. (2 Corinthians 5/17) We have passed from darkness to light: Therefore do not become partners with them; for at one time you were darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Walk as children of light (for the fruit of light is found in all that is good and right and true), and try to discern what is pleasing to the Lord. Take no part in the unfruitful works of darkness, but instead expose them. (Ephesians 5/7-11) Paul says that we ‘are light’ present tense. Paul would have been very remiss if he forgot to tell us that we needed to be delivered from demon possession. Paul simply said that we should consciously walk in the light and shun evil.
· The Apostle Paul was very clear about where his focus was: But one thing I do: forgetting what lies behind and straining forward to what lies ahead. (Philippians 3/13) Paul counted his past ‘achievements’ in worldly terms literally as refuse. If Paul considered past things as refuse then past painful memories are also refuse. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord. For his sake I have suffered the loss of all things and count them as rubbish, in order that I may gain Christ. (Philippians 3/8)
· The Bible makes no connection whatsoever between sanctification and deliverance: (Strong's Greek: 38. ἁγιασμός [hagiasmos] — 10 Occurrences: Romans 6/19,22; 1 Corinthians 1/30; 1 Thessalonians 4/3-8; 2 Thessalonians 2.13; 1 Timothy 2/15; Hebrews 12/14; 1 Peter 1/2)
· Transformation of Christian believers is achieved by the renewal of the mind: Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. (Romans 12/2)
· Luke 11/24-26 and Matthew 12/43-45 indicate that only an empty "house" can be occupied by demons.
· It is correct that the world is under the control of the evil one, but Christians are not of the world. (John 7/14; 15/19; 17/16)
· Peter Horrobin’s teaching on cutting generational ties : “There may be situations where people are still struggling. There may be other generational powers, other rituals that have taken place which we haven’t yet faced, but in all cases you work through it bit by bit”.
In many instances the same vulnerable people keep going back for more and more so called "deliverance", either for the same or related issues. It is a vicious circle that brings bondage and not the freedom promised by Jesus Christ. It is also worth noting that in the Bible no one went back to Jesus Christ for repeated sessions of deliverance.
· Deliverance focuses on self, but the Bible tells us to ‘think about these things’ …..whatever is true, whatever is honourable, whatever is just, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there is any excellence, if there is anything worthy of praise, think about these things. (Philippians 4/8)
· The Bible says that it is the truth that will set you free: If you abide in my word, you are truly my disciples, and you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. (John 8/32)
· This teaching of inner healing is a basic denial of the faith. It necessitates the need to do other things which are extra biblical to become free instead of believing that Jesus Christ has set us free.
The two quotes below are from very reliable teachers, their sites are well worth a visit:
Simple logic says that probing into the past to uncover “lost memories” of former traumas, as in psychotherapy or the Christian brand known as “inner healing,” is a vain pursuit for two reasons: 1) one can never be sure of the accuracy of such memories, due to a lack of objective verification; and 2) if one “lost memory” could have such a heavy influence upon the person’s thinking, emotions and conduct, who can say that there may not be other “memories” of equal or greater importance that likewise need to be recovered and “worked through” endlessly? http://www.thebereancall.org
The same is certainly true of the overwhelming majority of so called 'deliverance ministry' - it is purely psychological with absolutely no biblical precedent for casting demons out of saved Christians. Deliverance manifestations and Toronto manifestations alike mainly come from the same source - the human soul. It is a matter of hypnotic induction used by Satan to mislead people. Jacob Prasch http://www.moriel.org
Satan would love us to fall into bondage, witchcraft and New Age occult beliefs and practices such as regression, guided imagery and visualisation, and this is precisely what inner healing involves. Satan disguises himself as an angel of light. (2 Corinthians 11/14) Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. (1 Peter 5/8)
For consider your calling, brothers: not many of you were wise according to worldly standards, not many were powerful not many were of noble birth. But God chose what is foolish in the world to shame the wise; God chose what is weak in the world to shame the strong; God chose what is low and despised in the world, even things that are not, to bring to nothing things that are, so that no human being might boast in the presence of God. And because of him you are in Christ Jesus, who became to us wisdom from God, righteousness and sanctification and redemption, so that, as it is written, “Let the one who boasts, boast in the Lord. (1 Corinthians 1/26-31)
The above verses show us that there are many people who have suffered damage in a worldly sense prior to accepting Jesus Christ as Lord. Those of us who are "damaged goods" from a worldly perspective should be incredibly joyful and thankful to be chosen by Him. That damaged person is dead and gone so why would we want to dwell on past hurts and or failures. We are a new creation in Christ Jesus if we trust Him and are born again by His Spirit.
Peter Horrobin is a man who follows his own preferences and ungodly ideas. He left his wife for a younger woman some years ago and is living in an adulterous marriage. Jesus Christ teaching is very clear - divorce and remarriage are adultery. Paul writes that we should not associate with people who indulge in sexual sin (1 Corinthians 5:9).
Jesus Christ: I say unto you whoever divorces his wife except for unchastity makes her commit adultery and whoever marries a divorced woman commits adultery' (Matthew 5: 32).