- Religion and Philosophy
The Best Places to Pray
Where is the best place to pray?
It's an age-old problem. Let's say you've decided to follow the Lord. You understand that prayer is the way to His heart. But where is the best possible place to pray? Where must you go to be heard clearly? At what elevation is His ear most inclined to pick up the frequency of your plea? What places are most holy, and where will He just tune you out and ignore you? What places might actually anger Him if you prayed there? To the right we see a monk in prayer. He is probably in a church or a chapel, and he is on his knees with the cross in his hands. Is that the right way to do it? Is it the only way to do it, or does God allow a little more flexibility than that?
A working list on the very best places to pray to God
- In church.
- On your knees by your bedside at home.
- During grace at the dinner table.
- Whenever and wherever you are when you face a huge problem that just won't wait.
- Whenever and wherever you are when you see something unusually beautiful or meaningful.
- When you've suffered a huge loss.
- When you've enjoyed a wonderful triumph.
- On the top of a mountain, viewing God's glory.
- In a beautiful flower garden, viewing God's glory.
- When you get a job.
- When you lose a job.
- When you are feeling grateful to have a job.
- At the sight of a car wreck or other disaster, praying for those who have come to harm.
- In a closet or basement during a tornado, praying that the disaster pass over you.
- In the home of a friend who is facing a bitter, terrifying problem.
- Holding the hand of a stranger who has begged you for alms. (But give him the earthly help as well.)
- In your bed when you are sick.
- Beside the bed of another person who is sick.
- Wherever you are, the moment after you've lost your temper. (Even if you are certain you are right.)
Do You Think That's Enough? Well, Here's More.
- At work when you are about to make an important decision.
- After the big sports match, whether you win or lose.
- At home when you are about to make an important decision.
- While you are doing household chores.
- In the car while you are stopped by a red light/train/traffic jam.
- When you are waiting... anywhere.
- When you are planning what you need to do that day.
- During your daily exercise.
- When you are settling down to sleep for the night.
- While you are sleeping, if the impulse strikes.
- When you are pondering things in the shower.
- When you are pondering things on the toilet.
- While you are eating.
- When you are walking from one place to another.
- When you have five free moments of peace.
- After you pay your bills.
- Before you do your taxes.
- Instead of watching television.
- While listening to music.
- After a night out with dear friends.
- After a bitter dispute with somebody you really don't like.
- When you are feeling very alone and unconnected.
- While writing hubpages, regardless of the content.
- Whenever the Spirit calls you, wherever you may be, for whatever purpose He is calling you.
- This is a partial list. Amend and lengthen as necessary.