- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Bible: Summary Questions from the Book of Hebrews
Bible: The Word of God?
Do you believe the Bible is the only revelation from the true God?
The Cross of Christ
Moses with The Ten Words
Summary Questions for Hebrews
1. Who wrote Hebrews, and when did he write it?
2. According to the author, what task has God continued that He began millennia ago?
3. Through Whom did God finally disclose truth?
4. What seven facts does the author now set forth that establish the deity of “Son”?
5. Discuss the fact of the Son’s position as heir.
6. What does the term “beget” mean in this context?
7. What OT prophecy refers to the Son ultimately fulfilling Solomon’s reign?
8. What verses ultimately refer to the Son wedding His bride?
9. In the latter part of the first chapter, what does the author hope to prove?
- What statement indicates that the author probably was not a first-hand witness to Christ?
- Who, besides Jesus, will one day rule the Earth?
- What task does the Lord perform today?
- What did Jesus’ suffering prove?
- What three OT verses show that Jesus feels no humiliation in calling these “sons” His brethren?
- Discuss some of the purposes for the Incarnation, the Crucifixion, and the Ascension.
- Explain the distinction between expiation and propitiation.
- What two expressions in chapter three indicate that the author considered his readers to be true believers?
- What does “Apostle and High Priest of our confession” mean?
- To whom does the author now compare Jesus?
- How is Jesus superior to Moses?
- What does it mean to “persevere to the end”? How does “the perseverance of the saints” relate to eternal security?
- How does Psalm 95:7-11 illustrate what happens to people who do not continue to trust God?
- What do the author’s five rhetorical questions at the end of chapter three show?
Jesus, The Great High Priest
- How does one come short of God’s rest?
- In what sense do believers stop working when they trust God completely?
- What is able to reveal to individuals the morality of their thoughts and intentions? ______
- What does the clause “a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens” mean?
- How should having Jesus as our Representative before the Father affect believers?
- What, according to the author of Hebrews, are some of the qualifications for the high priesthood in Israel?
- Relate Psalm 2:7 and Psalm 110:1 to Jesus’ High Priesthood.
- What did Jesus’ passing of the obedience test qualify him to be?
- Explain the difference between babes and the mature in relation to the Scriptures.
Yahweh: "Abram, Count the Stars"
Melchizedek and Abraham
view quiz statistics
- Give your interpretation of Hebrews 6:4-8.
- How did God guarantee the fulfillment of His promise to Abraham?
- How does the author describe the believers’ hope?
- What were Melchizedek’s titles? ____ __ _______, _____ ___ _____________
- How does Melchizedek relate to Abram?
- How is Melchizedek a type of Christ?
- What action demonstrated that Melchizedek was superior to Abram?
- What does the principle of corporate solidarity come into play in the relationship between Melchizedek and Abraham, Levi’s sire?
- Why did Jesus have to be a Melchizedekian, and not a Levitical, priest?
- What “better hope” did God introduce to replace the Mosaic Law?
- In what ways is Jesus’ priesthood superior to that of Levi?
- In what way is the Older Covenant faulty? (short answer)
- When and with whom will God enact a new covenant? ____________, ________ and ________
The Law of God
- What were the two major sections of the OT tabernacle?
- What were some of the furnishings of the earthly sanctuary?
- What happened every year on Yom Kippur?
- What structure symbolizes the author’s current day?
- What will happen during “the time of reformation”?
- When did Jesus enter the heavenly tabernacle? Did He actually bring His own blood into the Most Holy Place in heaven?
- Compare OT purification with Jesus’ purification of sins.
- Compare the sacrifice of Yom Kippur and Christ’s sacrifice.
- How did Moses ratify the first covenant?
- What was “a shadow of the good things to come, not the very image of the things”? ___ __________
- Why did God command the Israelites to sacrifice animals?
- What act enabled the Holy Spirit to sanctify believers to God?
- What is “the new and living way”?
- What should believers do now that they have a Great Priest presiding over the Church?
- What are three specific offenses that apostates commit? Explain.
- What were some of the abuses that these Hebrew Christians were experiencing?
- What is the author’s exhortation to them?
- Explain the author’s description of faith.
- What do all believers gain by an exercise of faith?
- How may Enoch be a figure of the Church?
- What is faith’s two-fold characteristic that makes it an indispensable tool to those who desire to please God?
- What does the author’s two-part discussion of the faith of Abraham entail?
- What strengthened Moses to make life-changing decisions?
- What kinds of suffering did the heroes of the faith endure?
- In light of the many heroic examples he has displayed, what does the author exhort his readers to do?
- How is the Christian life like a race?
- How did Jesus run the race?
- What is God’s purpose in chastening believers?
- What are some reasons why the Hebrews should seek spiritual renewal?
- How does the author compare Mount Zion to the Mount Sinai?
- Explain the author’s “if . . . (how) much more” contrasts.
- What are some ways the Hebrews should respond to their religious commitments?
- Explain the author’s “weighty benediction.”
© 2013 glynch1