MAINTAINING AN ETERNAL PERSPECTIVE
An eternal perspective is viewing things through “spiritual eyes,” from God’s perspective. Simply viewing through “physical eyes” fails to see the eternal.
As we look at things in light of the big picture (eternal perspective) our mountains become molehills:
- 2 Corinthians 4:17-18: “17 For our light affliction, which is for the moment, worketh for us more and more exceedingly and eternal weight of glory; 18 while we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.”
As eternal truth gains entrance into our hearts the temporal things of this world, good or bad, take their proper place. The deceptive and temporal pressures and pleasures of the world are used in efforts to take us away from truth (as in the parable of "the Seed and the Sower" from Matthew 13, Mark 4 and Luke 8), but these “cares and riches and pleasures of life” are not even a drop in the ocean compared to the eternal treasures already laid up for us in heaven.
God is Faithful to His Promises:
- Hebrews 10:23: “Let us hold firmly to an unflinching avowal of our hope, for He is faithful who gave us the promises.”
Jesus Christ IS coming back:
- Acts 1:9-11: "9 And when he [Jesus] had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight. 10 And while they looked stedfastly toward heaven as he went up, behold, two men stood by them in white apparel; 11 Which also said, Ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? this same Jesus, which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come in like manner as ye have seen him go into heaven."
- John 14:1-6: "1 Let not your heart be troubled: ye believe in God, believe also in me. 2 In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. 3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also." - Jesus Christ
When he comes back the believers in Christ who have died will rise first and then we who remain and are alive will be gathered together with them to be forevermore with the Lord:
- 1 Thessalonians 4:16-18: "16 For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first: 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord. 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words."
We will appear with Christ in glory:
- Colossians 3:4: "When Christ, who is our life, shall appear, then shall ye also appear with him in glory."
Our beliefs and our experience will finally line-up with who and what we really are in Christ, at which time we will also get new bodies, fashioned like unto his glorious body:
- 1 John 3:2: "Beloved, now are we the children of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he [Christ] shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is"
- Philippians 3:20-21: "20 For our conversation [citizenship] is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Savior, the Lord Jesus Christ: 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself."
We have a wonderful inheritance reserved for us in heaven that is incorruptible, undefiled and will never fade away or perish:
- Peter 1:3-6: "3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, which according to his abundant mercy hath begotten us again unto a lively hope by the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 To an inheritance incorruptible, and undefiled, and that fadeth not away, reserved in heaven for you, 5 Who are kept by the power of God through faith unto salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6 Wherein ye greatly rejoice, though now for a season, if need be, ye are in heaviness through manifold temptations:"
We keep our eyes fastened upon the Lord Jesus Christ and his accomplishments, looking at things as God says they are, viewing things from the vantage point of eternal truth. This exposes the lies, bringing to null the devil’s trickery.
“That the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give unto you the spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of him: 18 The eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that ye may know [experientially know] what is the hope of his calling, and what the riches of the glory of his inheritance in the saints, and what is the exceeding greatness of his power to us-ward who believe, according to the working of his mighty power, which he wrought in Christ, when he raised him from the dead, and set him at his own right hand in the heavenly places, far above all principality, and power, and might, and dominion, and every name that is named, not only in this world, but also in that which is to come.” - Ephesians 1:17-21