- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
The Life We Have (The Heart: Your Relationship with God)
Your relationship with God is a vital one. It is available to have it, but without that knowledge, your understanding is unfruitful when it comes to walking in the fellowship that He desires for you to have.
2 Peter 1:3
According as his divine
power hath given unto us
all things that pertain
unto life and godliness,
through the knowledge
of him that hath called
us to glory and virtue:
God has given you all things that pertain unto life:
The availability to have a sweet and prosperous life.
3 John 1:2
Beloved, I wish above all things that thou mayest prosper and
be in health, even as thy soul prospereth.
The principles in His Word are sound doctrine. They make absolute sense to anyone that hears it, but it is their blindness that prevents otherwise to act and believe it to come to pass. The Word also says to be ye doers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves in James 1:22.
Everthing in life is in His book, which should be better known as the "Manual of Life". The how to in every category on how to run your life smoothly according to the promises of God. The promises in which He has surely backed up and has never failed one bit...and that is over 900 promises.
2 Peter 1:4a
Whereby are given unto us exceeding great and precious promises:
Exceeding great, take a look closely at those two....they both are super positives, both are very big words..
- To extend beyond or outside of
- To be greater than; surpass
- To go beyond the limits of:
- Unusually or comparatively large in size or dimensions
- Large in number; numerous
- Unusual or considerable in degree, power, intensity, etc
- Wonderful; first-rate; very good
- Being such in an extreme or notable degree
- -So much more-
My goodness! Put those two together and you have some super duper big stuff going on here. Exceeding pass the limitation of great and beyond, far beyond our human logic. But that isn't the last thing as well.
- Of high price or great value; very valuable or costly
- Highly esteemed for some spiritual, nonmaterial, or moral quality
- Dear; beloved
The promises are so precious, that He will do what it takes to protect it. Think about you possessing a very valuable item...worth millions of dollars and is very sentimental to you...you would do what it takes to protect it right? Well God has more than 900 of those precious promises and still protects it.
It is very important to study His Word frequently. It will keep fresh the promises He has in store for you, waiting for you to learn about and apply it in your life. Here's a quick list on what you might learn.
- -How to be a better parent
- -How to be a better spouse
- -Walking in love
- -Being simple minded to avoid confusion
- -Humbling yourself
- -Being confident
- -Loving yourself
- -Living without guilt and condemnation
- -How to be more than a conqueror
- -How God protects you
- -How God inspires and helps you
Now on to the next part of 2 Peter 1:3
God has given you all things that pertain unto godliness:
The availability to have a sweet fellowship with the Father and live above it all.
The first thing that needs to be built on this foundation is the actual source...where it comes from and what it is in order to understand more of the relationship with God.
2 Peter 1:4b
That by these ye might be partakers of the divine nature,
having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust.
His very essence, God's very nature, He is what He is and nothing changes it...God is love.
Just like a bird is a bird, a dog is a dog, a car is a car, and a plane is a plane, God is love. Not only is it just the love that we know of, but the unconditional, pure, undefiled love that our minds cannot even come close to comprehending.
1 John 4:8
He that loveth not, knoweth not God; for God is love.
God so loved us, that He sent His Son to deliver us from sin...which we are delievered, past tense, by way of Jesus Christ. Because the grace God has for us, we can now walk forth with believing Romans 10:9,10 and become born again to be rescued from the corruption of this world. To be holy and without blame before Him in love. To have a reserved seat in the heavenlies. To be more than a conqueror...and more importantly....to be God's child.
9. That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe
in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
10.For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
Believing is a step harder than breathing, you do it all the time and it's all based on your heart.
The true and pure relationship with the Father, is a must. When you were a child, your instincts and you had to rely on the parents and/or guardians that cared for you. But as you got older, the responsibilities slowly or even completely leaned into your shoulders for you to take care of. But the opportunity for the parents to help you financially, emotionally, and physically starts to become harder. Some parents have passed away, some refuse to help, some gladly helps but can't help out with everything...it's all on your shoulders, and you need something or someone to cast on over to to take care of.
1 Peter 5:7
Casting all your care upon him; for he careth for you.
God so desires to help you with any need and wants that you have. But you have to put Him first in everything you do. What does that mean you say?
But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and
all these things shall be added unto you.
When you seek God first what does that mean? This is the basics, the foundation of having your relationship with God. To seek Him first.
30. And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with
all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this
is the first commandment.
31. And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor
as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these.
To love God with all your heart, mind, soul, and strength, and to love your neighbor as thyself
The greek word for neighbor is plesion (πλησίον)
1) a neighbor
- a) a friend
- b) any other person, and where two are concerned, the other (thy fellow man, thy neighbor), according to the Jews, any member of the Hebrew nation and commonwealth
- c) according to Christ, any other man irrespective of nation or religion with whom we live or whom we chance to meet
Anyone who you know, who is around you, who you work with, who you play sports with, down at the local bingo shop...this word neighbor literally means anybody. Just like is says God is love, He loves every single person out here, and He is no respecter of persons. This is keeping His commandment when you love others with the love of God...want to know how to love others?
1 Corinthians 13:4-8a
4. Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not
itself, is not puffed up,
5. Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked,
thinketh no evil;
6. Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth;
7. Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
8. Charity never faileth:
9. Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to
that which is good.
10. Be kindly affectioned one to another with brotherly love; in honour
preferring one another;
11. Not slothful in business; fervent in spirit; serving the Lord;
12. Rejoicing in hope; patient in tribulation; continuing instant in prayer;
13. Distributing to the necessity of saints; given to hospitality.
14. Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.
15. Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep.
16. Be of the same mind one toward another. Mind not high things, but
condescend to men of low estate. Be not wise in your own conceits.
17. Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight
of all men.
18. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men.
19. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath:
for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.
20. Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink:
for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head.
21. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.
These principles show you how to love your neighbor....seems like a lot huh? This is where you put forth you heart into learning His Word, to continue to walk in fellowship and God will pour all kinds of revelation to help and love His people. Now that's putting Him first.
God looks down on a man and woman's heart. Not by what you wear, say, do, try, or think. He loves you for who you are.
Now concerning the things about God blessing you, when you love someone, He will give you an eternal reward. He doesn't bless you according to your works. You've been a good boy or girl so you get to be treated so nicely. It doesn't work that way. It works by faith (believing). You believe the promises God has, and you act upon it, putting Him first in everything you do, He will give it to you. It's all about believing, and believing from where? That's right, your heart. That's what trusting God is about, putting Him first, loving Him, doing His commandments, and doing His Word and applying it in your life.
1. There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus,
who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
8. So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
It's after the spritual things of God. The flesh cannot please God. So your vital relationship with God is through Holy Spirit, the gift God gives you when you believe on the ressurection of His Son Jesus Christ.
And to finalize everything of this chapter...
2 Peter 5-7
5. And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
6. And to knowledge temperance; and to temperance patience; and to patience godliness;
7. And to godliness brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness charity.
This ties everything that has to do with the life and godliness God has given to you, the loving caring Father that made it available to have that beautiful life He longs for you to have.
To push yourself with all diligence to believe on His Son Jesus Christ and to believe the knowledge of His Word, therefore making it applicable in your life to keep it balanced with temperance (keeping things moderate instead of extreme, your not perfect you know), and having the patience to bear all things that come before you, allowing you to put on the love of God in the renewed mind to love others with charity, which is love.
Now that is a beautiful life and relationship with the Father.