- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
The Mormon Church is Not For You
Considering Joining the Mormon Church? Consider This!
I've seen a lot written on the Internet about why people should avoid the Mormon Church. I've sorted through commentary ridiculing Joseph Smith, articles denouncing the Book of Mormon, and hundreds of comments belittling Mormonism and the teachings of its modern prophets. Here are a few reasons I've identified that explain why the Mormon Church is not for you.
Service and Sacrifice
- If you don't like to serve people and can't stand the thought of spending some Saturday afternoons or weekday evenings visiting your aging neighbor, helping a new family move in, sharing your talents for free, or otherwise serving in some capacity without material pay, the Mormon Church is probably not for you.
- If you hate being asked as part of your spiritual devotion to contribute money to the poor, to help the fatherless and the widows, to be a means of lifting up your neighbors and your community, feel free to ignore the Mormon Church.
- If you are opposed to giving up two straight meals on a particular day once each month so that you can be better suited to hear the voice of the Lord as he speaks to your humbled self, you might not be suited for the Mormon Church.
Mormons Give Service? Crazy!
A Morally Clean Lifestyle
- If you think it's a bad idea to let a religion set protective boundaries for your lifestyle and admonish you to avoid the damage that comes with carnal habits such as illicit sex, drinking alcohol, smoking, being dishonest, and abusing others, you'll probably not find much use for the Mormon Church.
- If you endorse pornography, and you hate having your church leaders tell you to avoid it on a regular basis, the Mormon Church is probably not for you.
- If you are so bent on promoting the false notion that God intended that a man should ever have sexual relations with a man or a woman with a woman that you'd rather persist in that lie than even consider the other, more fulfilling side of life as a member of a functional family, you're probably not going to fit in with the Mormons.
Mormons Have Standards? Wackos!
Faith in the Living Jesus Christ
If the following statement by James Talmage describes your belief system, and you actively choose not to respond to your God-given yearning for religious truth, you may not be cut out to be a Mormon.
"The heathen's faith may be weak and imperfect, for his ability to recognize the evidence upon which belief in God depends may be small."
- If your determination to take up your pastor's cause and bear false witness against the Book of Mormon, Joseph Smith, and the Living Jesus Christ who reveals his will to modern prophets makes it so that you are immune to the whisperings of the Holy Spirit telling you that Jesus Christ's Church is once again on the earth, then forget about being a Mormon anytime soon.
- If you can't find a way to accept that God speaks and appears to modern witnesses of the Savior, then the Mormon Church is not for you.
- If you'd rather wallow in doubt, fear, and ignorance than feel the light of the Restored Gospel shine down upon you and bring greater purpose and fulfillment to every aspect of your life, including your education, your family, your occupation, and your health, then you'd probably be "better off" letting Mormonism alone.
Revelation from God to Man? Unbelievable!
On the Other Hand
...but if you can find a way around those roadblocks, here's what you could find...as a part of the Mormon Church.
- An understanding of the true nature of God and your purpose for existence
- Better relationships with your family and friends
- Enlightenment and encouragement to learn, to gain valuable experience, and to fulfill your potential as a child of perfect Eternal Parents.
- An enabling faith in a plan of happiness set up to guide you through life on earth with a less anguish from transgression and more joy from living right.
- Possibly a spot as a washed up, "has been" point guard on your ward basketball team.
If you can get past whatever might be make you think the Mormon Church is not for you, you're welcome to chat with a Mormon right now.