The Mystery of The Shroud of Turin
The History of The Shroud
The Shroud of Turin is a linen cloth measuring 14.3 x 3.7 feet that bears an image of a man who seems to have been tortured immensely. This man is believed and has since been proven to be Jesus Christ. The first time the Shroud was first mentioned, at least on record, was in 1390 when the then Bishop wrote a letter to Pope Clement 7.
In 1390,The Shroud was first said to be in France. It now stays in Turin, Italy at The Cathedral of Saint John The Baptist. This is a very fitting place for The Shroud to be displayed.
There are many doubters that say, the Shroud could not be possible. It has been analyzed many years over.
Share your opinions on this subject by leaving comments in the box at the bottom of this article.
Real McCoy or Fabricated Relic?
Arguments That The Shroud is Fake
1. Radiocarbon Dating Puts the Shroud in the Middle Ages which is after the Crucifixion of Jesus Christ. The critics do not like the timing is so good. The timing is so good in fact, that the truth of the radiocarbon dating would be to prove the time period from when this was from.
2. Forensic tests done in the 1970's claim that there is no blood on the cloth only Tempera paint tinted red color.
3. The features are off such as a small forehead and one arm is longer than the other and both are too long. Also, the eye brows are too far from the top of the head.
4. The Shroud could be done using a dust- transfer technique which when done carefully looks similar to the Man on the Shroud plus it was a technique used in Midevill times.
5. If The Shroud was real then why did the Disciples not mention it after Jesus rose from the dead.
6. The Shroud can not be explained, Therefore , it must not be real. This is one of the main arguments that is used.
Location of the Shroud (Turin, Italy)
The Viewing of The Shroud
What Do You Think?
Do you believe the Shroud of Turin is the burial cloth of Jesus Christ?
Arguments That The Shroud is Real
1. Even with new technologies an exact 3D replica can not be made. NASA's VP8 Image Analyzer concluded that like no other image before it has properties that allow it to decode into a 3-D image.
2. The image on The Shroud, bears a man's image consistent with man who was tortured. The Shroud shows pierced side, holes in head from the crown of thorns that he wore, and both feet that have a hole in them, there are blood stains, etc.
3. The Hercules Aerospace Company in Utah compared dirt particles from The Shroud with dirt found in ancient tombs in Jerusalem. The tests concluded it was Travertine Argonite Limestone and they were virtually identical. The critics also do not like this critical fact in favor that The Shroud is proving to be more real and authentic.
4. A Botanist at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem did pollen tests and concluded that the outlines of the plants point to Jerusalem's environment.
5. Robert Bucklin, a forensic pathologists and physician, constructed a simulated autopsy. His findings showed signs of a man being whipped, beaten, crucified and it even showed bruises and markings on his right shoulder blade which is consistent with toting a very hard object. We as Christians believe this to be The Cross, that Jesus was crucified on.
6. The Shroud can not be explained, Therefore, it must be the actual burial cloth of The Lord.
Real Or Fake?
Shroud of Turin Documentary
The Shroud of Controversy
It's still a mystery because every time their seems to be proof it's a forgery it's refuted by other information. I'm not sure if it's the burial cloth of The Lord or not but it's something beyond our understanding to be sure. However, It's fascinating that whether the Shroud is from the time of Jesus or from Medieval times it can not be fully replicated even in 2013 with all of our advanced computer technology.
So many relics and religious items have been found and some have been authentic. On the other hand, Many forgeries have been discovered which always leads to speculation about new artifacts that have been located. Scientists, artists, Theologists, photographers, and other experts in their respective fields have been studying the Shroud of Turin for centuries and to this day their has been no definitive evidence to prove it to be a fraud or to prove it to be genuine.
The debate rages on and maybe one day we will all know the answer to one of the biggest mysteries that has ever been found. This topic is interesting to say the least as it always is when it comes to religious findings.
* Please feel free to leave your thoughts and opinions on this subject in the comments box located at the bottom of this page. I always welcome any religious information that I can learn.
The Burial Cloth of Jesus?
- Miracles of The Holy Bible
This internet article is about some of the many miracles in the Bible. The turning of water into wine, and the feeding of the 5,000 people with several loaves of bread and more are featured here.
- Noah's Ark of The Holy Bible
This article documents Noah's Ark from the Old Testament of the Old Bible. This story has had films made about it including the comedy, Evan Almighty. Pictures, polls, maps, you tube videos and commentary are listed in this hub along with other infor
- Archangels in The Holy Bible
This article describes the three archangels as described in the Holy Bible. The three angels that are listed in this hub are: Micheal, Gabriel and Raphael. Pictures and videos are featured here.
- Shrine of The Most Blessed Sacrament
I visited the Shrine of the Blessed Sacrament in Hanceville, AL. This is a great place to visit if you are looking for a day trip that is not expensive. It has a beautiful Cathedral and religious pictures adorned the walls. Pictures, You tube videos,
- Land of Religious Importance
This article is about different religious land of the world. Rome, Jerusalem, Syria and Iraq are listed in this hub. Pictures, you tube videos, maps, polls and commentary are highlighted in this hub. Mexico, Philippines and Saudi Arabia are listed he
- Persecuted and Hurt: The Early Christian Church Carried On
This article describes the early Christian Church and their efforts to form a world wide congregation. Pictures, maps, polls, you tube video clips and commentary are listed in this hub as well as other facts about the church during it's early years.
The Shroud of Turin Documentary
Shroud of Turin Video
view quiz statistics
Investigating The Shroud of Turin
© 2013 Buster Johnson