- Religion and Philosophy»
- Angels & Demons
The Nine Types of Angels
I Believe in Angels
I was raised in a Christian household, so my belief in God and supernatural existence was a given. However, during my childhood and most of my adult life I rarely considered the validity of angels until today. So, I started a journey to uncover my innermost thoughts about angels. I read a lot and thought about encounters in my life where I may have met face-to face with an angel. At the time, I considered those encounters lightly, but now after doing some research I believe strongly, that my encounters were in fact meetings with angels.
Here is what I have discovered and what I believe about angels. Angels are spiritual beings who were created to fulfill God’s desires. They are messengers, overseers, and deliverers of God’s sentences whether rewards or punishment. When angels interact with human beings, they can be invisible, audible, and/or take on the human form in order to accomplish whatever task God has commanded of them.
Angels are mentioned at least 108 times in the Old Testament and 165 times in the New Testament. If you have an online Bible, type in the word “angel” and read scriptures that speak of angels. Jesus Christ, son of God is sometimes referred to as the Angel of God, or the Angel of the Lord. In addition to Christ, there are nine types of angels. These angels are placed on a hierarchy scale and grouped into spheres or choirs.
1. Seraphim (singular Seraph) – Isaiah 6:2 - These angels are closest to God. They praise God and represent His love. There are only four of them. Their primary mission is to protect the throne of God. They have six wings: two cover their faces, two cover their bodies, and two cover their feet.
2. Cherubim (singular Cherub) – Genesis 3:24 and Ezekiel 10:1-22 - These angels are the second highest in the nine hierarchies of angels. They are intercessors of God. Their mission is also to protect the throne of God. They are fierce angels.When they come to earth, they have great power of apocalypse nature. They have four faces: one of a man, one of an ox, one of an eagle, and one of a lion.
3. Thrones – Colossians 1:16 – Their name literally means throne or highly ornamented chair. These angels dispense God’s divine judgment. The lower hierarchies of angels need the Thrones to gain access God.
4. Dominions – Colossians 1:16 - These are the angels of leadership, regulating the duties of the angels. They give power to heads of government and other authority figures. They have the appearance of humans with wings.
5. Virtues – 1 Peter 3:22 - These angels are known as the Spirits of Motion and control the elements. They govern all nature and perform miracles. They provide courage, grace, and valor.
6. Powers – Colossians 1:16 - These angels have the task of controlling the border between heaven and earth. They are warrior angels who fight against evil. They are the angels of birth and death.
7. Principalities – Colossians 1:16 - These angels look over groups of people. They are in charge of the world’s nations, cities, and towns. Their duties include taking charge of religion, politics, and the duties of the angels on earth below them.
8. Archangel – 1 Thessalonians 4:16 - This angel is the chief angel, guardian of people and all things physical. The archangel appears only in human form and has the task of being God’s messenger to people at critical times of need.
9. Angels – Throughout the Bible from Genesis to Revelation - These angels act as our personal guardian. They deliver prayers to God and God’s answers and messages to us. They have the task of nurturing, counseling, and healing us.
To be complete, I need to mention that there are also fallen angels, demons as we know them. They exist. I believe in them, but I do not entertain them by discussing them. I mention them in this paragraph for readers who might question that I did not give credit to “all” angels.
Much is available on the subject of angels. Below, is a list of articles that I found valuable in helping me unravel the mystery of angels.
Additional online resources about angels:
Christian Answers: http://www.christiananswers.net/q-acb/acb-t005.html - Get basic answers and biblical references about angels, where they came from, who they are, and why they are here.
I Believe in Angels: http://www.ibelieveinangels.com - Read inspirational stories about how angels have appeared in people’s lives to comfort and protect them.
Spirit Home: http://www.spirithome.com/angels.html - Most of my questions were answered by reading the explanations on this web site.
Angels Ghost: http://www.angelsghosts.com/angel_names - A list of angel names from different religions, mythologies, and lore. The list does not include fallen angels.
All About God:http://www.allaboutgod.com/types-of-angels-faq.htm - A multitude of information about God and angels can be found at this web site.