- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
The Power of Prayer in the Secret Place - 5 Important Things to Note
There is Great Power In Prayer
There is power, truly great power in prayer. James 5:16b says that, 'the prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective'. There is great power to be accessed and released, on your knees in 'the secret place' in prayer.
5 Important Things to Note About the Secret Place
Matt. 6:6 says, 'when you pray, go into your room - to the secret place, close the door and pray to your Father who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you'.
5 Important things to note:-
1. The person called to be a person of prayer... is me (and you). Matt. 6:6a - 'but you, when you pray'. You (and I) have been called to the privilege and adventure of prayer. Prayer is launching out into the realm of the spirit and meeting with Almighty God. It's a place where nothing is impossible.
2. It is worth making a priority of prayer. It costs relatively little to discipline our time and our lifestyle to make a priority of prayer - but it costs so much more not to. As 2 Chron. 7:14 says, '... if my people who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face... then will I hear from heaven...' God has chosen to use prayer as a vehicle by which you and I get to play an integral part in His plans and work in this world.
3. The place of prayer in is the secret place, the quiet secluded place free from the noise and distractions of everyday life. Prayer isn't about impressing God nor is it about repetition or simply going through your 'list' of needs and issues. Martin Luther said, 'Prayer is the pouring out of the soul to God'. Psalm 61:8 says, 'Trust in him at all times, O people; pour out your hearts to him for God is our refuge'. The 'secret place' is a spiritual place where we can turn all awareness off the world around us and tune into God as we meet with Him there 'face to face'.
4. There is a promise in prayer in the secret place. Our Heavenly Father is in the secret place waiting for us to turn up and meet with Him there. Intimacy is there in the secret place with our Heavenly Father. As we meet Him and behold Him there, we are changed. At the moment we pray, we connect to the most powerful force in the universe, God Almighty himself.
5. There is always a product of prayer. God sees in secret and He will reward. There is always a product of every moment in prayer. Prayer always produces something. Prayer changes things. God will answer. 'As soon as you call I will hear; while you are speaking I will answer.' Father God is big enough and mighty enough to act on our behalf ... when we come before Him in prayer.
Bible Verses on Prayer
Matt. 21:22 - And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith.
Eph. 6:18 - Praying at all times in the spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for the saints.
1 Thess. 5:17 - Pray without ceasing.
Col. 4:2 - Devote yourselves to prayer, being watchful and thankful.
James 5:13, 16 - Is any one of you in trouble? He should pray... The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.
Phill. 4:6, 7 - Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.
Quotes on Prayer
'Don't pray when you feel like it. Have an appointment with the Lord and keep it. A man is powerful on his knees'. - Corrie Ten Boom
'We have to pray with our eyes on God, not on the difficulties'. - Oswald Chambers
'God does nothing except in response to believing prayer'. - John Wesley
'... so does the praying Christian, when delay and denial face him, increase his earnest asking, and ceases not until prayer prevail'. - E.M. Bounds
'God has given us the total victory of the power of the cross through the weapon of prayer. Isn't it time that we covenant together to pick up that awesome weapon and use it to His glory?' - Catherine Marshall
'Too often we try to find a quick fix to our problems by asking everyone else to pray for us. There's nothing wrong, of course, with having others pray for you, but you'll never get your life to a place of permanent victory until you begin to pray yourself'. - Kenneth Copeland
Hope this was helpful.
Thanks for reading my Hub.