The Role of Faith In Stepping Into The Supernatural
Stepping Into The Supernatural
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth (Genesis 1:1). God Himself existed before creation begun and He himself is the beginning of creation (Colossians 1:17).
Now, when God created the universe, the Bible says that He created two kinds of universe—one which is visible, which we all know and study, can feel and can touch and can see. Then He also created the invisible one, which we cannot feel, touch or see on the natural (with our five natural senses). The Bible says in Colossians 1:15 &16 that "Christ is the image of the invisible God, the first born of all creation, for in him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers and authorities—all things were created through him and for him."
Child of God, you have to understand this that the invisible world is real. In fact, there are more stuffs out there than you can see and imagine. Principalities and powers, authorities in high places, they all exist in the realm of the spirit. This is what we refer to us the supernatural. When we talk about the supernatural, we are referring to the unseen world, and God directly or indirectly dwells in this realm—the realm of the spirit. Faith helps us to understand this reality of the unseen world.
God is a Spirit and they that worship him must worship in spirit and in truth.— John 4:24
The Basic Criteria For Stepping Into The Supernatural
As stated earlier, God is a spirit being and He directly or indirectly dwells in that realm—the realm of the spirit. Unfortunately, we are not in that realm because we are flesh and blood, but fortunately by grace, we can have access to that realm by following certain criteria in the Bible underlisted:
- Faith: Believing in God is the first step in gaining access to His glorious kingdom. Faith gives us the conviction that God really exists. The Bible tells us that without faith it is impossible to please God; for he that comes to Him must believe that God exists and that He is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek Him.
- Prayer and Fasting: As believers in the Christendom, our whole life depends on our prayer life—communing with God—and the Bible says that we must offer persistent and consistent prayers to God without ceasing. To tap into God's realm, we need prayers with fasting. "Some kinds goeth out not except by prayer and fasting" as said by Jesus in Matthew 17:21.
- Praise and Worship: Paise and worship unleashes the presence of God in a very intense manner. When we praise and worship God, we humble ourselves before him and he takes control of our emotions and thoughts, and by so doing we can connect with Him. God actually inhabits the praises of His people. He lives in our praise.
- Hearing His Voice: Throughout scripture, the Bible emphasizes this statement many times without number that he who has an ear let him hear what the spirit is saying, particularly occurring most in the book of Revelation. This means that when you hear the voice of God, you are in the same realm with Him, but it's obvious that many of us don't hear the voice of God because we tend to depend too much on the natural; the flesh. God is the master communicator and He admonishes us to tune our spiritual channels to catch up with His so that we can hear what he is saying to us as individuals and as a church.
So the aforementioned criteria are basically the paths through which we can connect with God in the realm of the spirit.
But today, I will focus my discussion on the aspect of faith. So let's get started.
For without faith it is impossible to please Him—Hebrews 11:6
For without faith it is impossible to please him. For whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he is a rewarder of those who earnestly seek him—Hebrews 11:6
What is faith?
In a layman's terms, faith can be explained as having the belief that something which you don't see actually exists. The succinct and the most comprehensive definition of faith can be found in the Bible. Hebrews 11:1 defines it this way:
"Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen".
THE NATURE OF FAITH
The Bible defines faith using two head words
- Substance: The word 'substance' as used in Hebrews 11:1, is from the Greek word hupostasis, which means substructure, foundation, assurance, support. This word describes faith as a foundation, in other words, something you can depend on. Something you can rely on. And the Bible says that faith does precisely this. From the image above, the house is built on a substance called rock. The inhabitants can go to bed and sleep without any fear of threat whatsoever, because they believe in the rock serving as the foundation. Faith, the Bible says is as real as the rock. Even more real. The Bible says that faith is rooted in the word of God (Romans 10:17) and everything was created by the word of God. That is by faith we understand that the entire universe was created by the word of God (Hebrews 11:3). The ground we are on is there directly or indirectly by the word of God, so which one do you think is more real? The word or the ground? It's obviously the word, and the Bible says that faith is rooted in the word. Think deeply about this.
- Conviction: This word is from the Greek word elegchos which means proof or evidence. So faith is the full evidence of the unseen. It's the proof that God exists.
Now, do you know that planes actually move on the air? The air is the substance by which it flies. Now the fact that you can't see the air does not mean that it is not there. Faith brings us to this reality of the unseen.
For All who are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God— Romans 8:14
How Do You Experience Faith
I love the Bible so much. How about you? Do you love it too? If you don't then I encourage you to do so because it's the book of truth and can literally answer all questions.
Now, how do you experience faith? Faith that can be compared to a rock or foundation?
The Bible, straightforwardly answers it in Romans 10:17:
"Faith comes by hearing and hearing by the word of God".
That is it! You wanna experience faith, read the word. Don't just read, believe what you read, don't just read and believe, practice the word and your faith will move mountains.
Do you believe that God exists?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Ernest Festus Awudey