There's Something Strange in the Neighborhood: Is Your Neighbor a Witch?
Are Witches Real
With witchcraft mentioned in the Holy Bible, it was at least real at the time the books of the Bible were written. Here are some scriptures from the King James Version of the Bible about witches.
Deuteronomy 18:9-13 King James Version (KJV):
- 9 When thou art come into the land which the Lord thy God giveth thee, thou shalt not learn to do after the abominations of those nations.
- 10 There shall not be found among you any one that maketh his son or his daughter to pass through the fire, or that useth divination, or an observer of times, or an enchanter, or a witch.
- 11 Or a charmer, or a consulter with familiar spirits, or a wizard, or a necromancer.
- 12 For all that do these things are an abomination unto the Lord: and because of these abominations, the Lord thy God doth drive them out from before thee.
Galatians Chapter 5: 19-21 King James Version (KJV):
- 19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are [these]; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness,
- 20 Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies,
- 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told [you] in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.
2 Kings 21:6
- 6 And he made his son pass through the fire, and observed times, and used enchantments, and dealt with familiar spirits and wizards: he wrought much wickedness in the sight of the LORD, to provoke [him] to anger.
These are just a few of the scriptures which mention witches and wizards in the Bible, but I ask you, "are witches less evil today than those listed in the Bible?"
In addition to the above scriptures, there are many news stories published about witches today. One can be found in "Scientific America: Witch Hunts Today: Abuse of Women, Superstition, and Murder Collide in India:" https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/witch-hunts-today-abuse-of-women-superstition-and-murder-collide-in-india/
How Many Witches Live in the United States
According to numerous studies, there are as many as 1.6 million people in the U.S. that claim to practice "Wicca," also known as witchcraft. There may be many more, due to the fact, some people don't want their employers, friends, and neighbors to know they practice Wicca.
According to statistics, every state in the Union, plus the District of Columbia, have groups, or Covens of practicing witches. According to records, there are more witches than Presbyterians in the U.S.
Are You or Your Neighbor a Witch
According to Bev G, who is a contributor to Hubpages, and identifies herself as a witch, there are numerous characteristics which help identify witches. Her article on this subject can be found at, "Are You a Witch? Telltale Signs and Characteristics to Look For." To read the article, click on https://exemplore.com/wicca-witchcraft/Are-You-a-Witch-Signs-and-Characteristics-of-a-Witch
You may also find others who identify themselves as witches by searching the Internet or going to your public library.
Are There Any Tales of Witchcraft Passed Down Through Your Family's History
How many tales of witches and witchcraft have you heard about through your family tree? I, for one, have many. Some seem plausible, while others seem very far fetched. Many of mine deal with my great-grandfather on my mother's side of the family. Which side of your family do the legends and mythologies come from?
What Do I Believe About Witches
I have mixed feeling about witchcraft and its evil side, ver5ses its good side. I do believe that there were practicing witches during Biblical times, who were evil, as opposed to many today, that do not want to cause harm to anyone, but I must say, my belief, above all else, is that Christianity rules over all other belief's, but, "I do not wish to throw rocks at glass houses!"
After this article was published I got this message, so I thought I should add it to the article. It is from someone much more knowledgeable about witches tan I am. This is the message: "Wicca is organized religion's version of witchcraft. Witchcraft and Wicca are NOT the same thing. I do not believe in organized religion. I am a "solitary witch". I don't need a crowd to practice my craft. Wicca is an organized religion. Most witches are solitary and I promise you'd never know unless she allowed it..."
This was followed by a second message from the same individual, and my reply: "And BTW I do believe in God and I worship only HIM. It's obvious that you need to do some more research. There are many different kinds of witches. THERE IS NO DEVIL IN THE CRAFT."
My reply: "Thank you for the information. I stand corrected and will add this information to the article."
King James Version of The Holy Bible
History of Witches
© 2019 Gerry Glenn Jones