- Religion and Philosophy
Top 15 Reasons Why People Are Leaving Christianity
A recent study conducted by the Pew Forum showed that more than one quarter of American adults are leaving the faith of their childhood. Though Christianity is the world's largest religion, each year many people choose to leave the faith and go their own way. Some continue to believe in God, some turn to other religions or Eastern philosophies such as Buddhism, some turn to agnosticism or atheism. But why to people leave Christianity? Here are the top 15 reasons that former Christians state as the cause of their apostasy.
- God just never shows up. They can see no proof of God's existence, not evidence of any intervention, especially in times of natural disaster and major economic adversity, such as hunger and AIDS epidemics in Africa.
- Their prayers are not answered. Once again, they see no evidence of any intervention from God, whether they are praying for themselves or others.
- They see no difference in attitude and behavior between Christians and Non-Christians. Non-Christians are equally capable of living a moral life as Christians.
- They have had several bad experiences in churches. (i.e. corruption, abuse, coercion, greed, gossip)
- The Bible contradicts itself, as well as with morality and reality. The Bible makes several claims that to a rational human being, just don't make any sense.
- They do not understand why a God that loves everyone would send anyone to hell. For example, people of other religions (we're talking millions of people here), according to the Bible, would end up in Hell because they have not accepted Christ. If God truly loves everyone, why would he doom all of those people to torture in hell for eternity?
- The Bible contradicts science and nature. According to the Bible, the world is only 6,000 years old, while science has proven that the world is, in fact, much older. This is only one instance in which science trumps the Bible.
- They realize that all religions claim to be the only true religion, and only one can be right. This causes them to doubt that out of all of the religions in the world, Christianity would be the only way.
- They see no evidence of anything supernatural, including God. Throughout history, supernatural beings have been used as a way to explain things that humanity did not understand.
- They realized that Christianity is a faith that borrowed several of its stories and teachings from older traditions, such as Paganism.
- They realize that, contrary to Biblical teaching, that people are inherently good. They cannot grasp the concept of original sin.
- They see more harm than good being done in the name of Jesus. (i.e. The Crusades)
- Christianity is too oppressive. Practically any natural human behavior can be labeled as a sin in at least one denomination.
- Christianity suppresses knowledge and creativity. Because science and nature contradict the Bible, Christians steer people away from discovering the scientific truth.
- Christianity suppresses human sexuality. (i.e. premarital sex, contraception, homosexuality)
Whatever the reason behind their decision to leave Christianity, the fact remains that Christianity seems to be losing its hold on the American people. After a few more generations, it may cease to exist all together.