Vastu and Colors
Colors have a remarkable influence on our environment, mood and health. Colors have the capacity to either uplift or depress and thus play an important role in health and happiness.
Colors are also linked with the three gunas- Sattva, Rajas and Tamas. Sky blue, green, white and other light colors are considered Satvic. Bright red, orange and bright pink is Rajasic while dark-brown, navy blue and black is considered Tamsic. Dark colors should be avoided in a house as they sap our energy and cause depression. It is advisable to use softer, lighter and satvic colors in the house.
According to Vastu, colour therapy plays an important role in balancing our body, mind and spirit. Certain colours stimulate energy into different spaces and positively influence the home and its residents. Vastu Shastra states that different colours are ideal for certain directions of the home.
Having the right Vastu colours for our home is vital. Colours in accordance with Vastu Shastra attract healing energy into the house. Vastu based guidelines for choosing the right colors for each room of your house are as follows :
Vastu Shastra enunciates that the flawless placement of your home is a matter of direction and colors.
Colors based on directions
- Light blue is the color for North-east direction wall
- White or light blue is the color for East direction wall
- South-east direction is direction of fire. Orange, pink and silver are the colors representing the power and energy of fire. You can use any of the 3 colors or a combination of the three to enhance energy.
- The North rooms of the house, represented by Mercury can be in light shades of green as green represents Mercury.
- White, light grey and cream are the colors representing air. Since North-west direction represents the direction for air, use any one or a combination of these colors for this direction.
- West direction is ruled by Lord Varun, the God of water. So go with either blue or white for the walls.
- Peach, muddy color, or light shade brown color will be suitable for South-west direction
- For South direction, you can use either Red or yellow.
Colors based on the room roles
Many experts in Vastu Shatra do agree on the part that selection of colors must be made on direction as well as purpose of the room. Here are the suggested colors by Vastu experts for rooms with different job roles:
- Different shades of green and yellow should be used in study rooms as these colors represent positivity and wisdom.
- Kitchen and dining room can use light shades of orange as it is a social color with considerable drive and energy.
- Experiment with different shades of yellow, orange and purple in areas that are used for conversation such as drawing room. Stimulating colors help in setting up an atmosphere for scintillating conversations.
- Cool colors such as indigo, violet and blue have a calming and introspective influence. Different shades of these colors can be used for meditation and puja rooms.
- Red being a passionate and fiery color should be avoided in bedroom as it can lead to disturbed sleep and insomnia.
- Soft colors like peach, light pink, sky blue, lavendar etc. are ideal for bedroom as they keep the bedroom tranquil and induce good sleep. Pink symbolizes deep love and thus, is an ideal color for newlyweds, and should especially be used by couples wishing to conceive.
- Blue is a good color to be used for the rooms of children who are hyper-active and aggressive.
- Peach, light orange and yellow color support assimilation, fusion and digestion in one’s system.These colors will complement your dining space.
- Colors with light shades maintain a good balance of energy flow in the house and generally go well with every house.
- Dark shades of colors like brown, red, grey and black are owned by some fiery and cruel planets of astrology i.e. Sun, Saturn, Mars and Rahu. Although these planets play a substantial role in an individual's life but their owned colors are not advisable from Vastu point of view.
- Do not use bright colors on walls facing South and West windows and doors,as they reflect light and cause glare.
- Black should not be used on gates, doors and walls that face East and South.
- Red should not be used on gates, doors and walls that face West and North.
Importance of Color in Vastu by Vastu Sashtra Expert in India
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Shaloo Walia