Weird Dreams in Lockdown What Is Going On?
The widespread Lockdown caused by the Coronavirus is really messing with people's Dreams. People on social media are all talking about having really vivid weird dreams. But why is this happening? And what is the cause behind it?
I have had some really strange dreams myself recently. And from a psychological point of view, they can be explained to a certain extent.
Even though I only work part-time, something odd is definitely happening.
One night this week I dreamt I was late for work. I woke up, (in my dream) jumped out of bed, showered, got dressed and grabbed my bike. Peddling madly to work, (it was in a supermarket which I have never worked in real life) I asked the girl, 'am I supposed to be here today?'
She just laughed and said no. So I turned around, ran out of the door and jumped back on my bike. Strangely enough, I found myself peddling along the seafront and trying desperately to get through thousands of tourists! Then I spotted a group fo five-year-old school kids, who needed help getting changed. So I stopped to help them.
For starters, I don't live by the coast. So, what made me dream that?
I believe it's because I am missing crowds. Makes sense. But the part about the children is puzzling. Maybe it was a comfort thing, or just that it was something I could do, or be in charge of.
As for the job, I have often dreamed of my old office work, but never a supermarket. But I think that is self-explanatory, don't you?
I do always dream, but this was very real.
So, have your dreams changed or become much more vivid?
Let me know in the comments at the bottom of the page.
But before that, let's take a look at social media, and see what other people have had to say about their dreams.
Some may be obvious, but others are pretty bizarre.
'We are such stuff as dreams are made on, and our little life is rounded with a sleep.'— William Shakespeare
You Are Not Dreaming.....
Obviously the Pandemic is causing a lot of anxiety, and often people are sleeping in later than usual, or maybe not at all.
Here are just a few of the weird dreams some people have experienced;
- "I called a taxi, and a hearse pulled up!"
- "I was on the Titanic. And I was helping people get into the boats, but I was shouting to keep social distancing. And people wanted masks more than boats"
- "I dreamed Boris Johnson was feeding me ice-cream from a spoon"
So far, not too bad. But the one with Boris is a bit weird, to be honest. Maybe some sort of fetish going on? (grin)
Okay, but what about the darker ones? Nightmares and spooky stuff.
- "My husband was at the top of a hill, and I was at the bottom. In between us was a huge wolf with big fangs"
- "I dreamed of big flying bugs coming at me, I tried to swat them away, but they kept on coming"
- " I was stuck in a tiny glass elevator. There was hardly room to breath. I just couldn't get out"
- "I was panicking and trying to phone my boyfriend, but I kept dialling the wrong number"
As you can see, most of these have the same type of thread.
Panic, being out of control, and not being able to do anything about it.
I must admit, the dream that did get me puzzled was the one that stated:
"I was stuck on the toilet, or peeing on the floor in front of Will Smith"
Er...okay, can't figure that one out but.....
Obviously it's an embarrassment dream. And for whatever reason, poor Will Smith got the butt end.
I spoke to a few people over facetime and asked them. Some answers were funny, others just plain stupid, but there were a few that did creep me out a bit.
- "I couldn't move. I felt someone, or something crawling up my body. I closed my eyes, didn't even know they were open. Were they open? Said a prayer, and it was gone!" Yikes!
- "My husband was missing. I was looking everywhere for him, but I just knew he was in the cupboard. I went to open it, then woke up, terrified!"
- "People were walking around my room. I was awake, sorry, I dreamed I was awake, and there were lots of people just standing around talking. Then they all turned to look at me! I woke up in a panic!"
- "I couldn't get home. For some reason, I was walking instead of in the car. But every single time I went to walk to my street, it turned out wrong. Not too bad I know, but there was something there with me, that scared the hell out of me."
When I asked if these were normal dreams, they all said no.
To me, every single one of them shows that they feel out of control. Doesn't matter what the situation was, they were all, in a sense, alike.
Your Brain Likes Jigsaws
Our Brains Fill in The Gaps
One thing I have come to believe over the years is that our brains try to compensate for something that is missing.
Psychologically, most people have around twenty things they do in their lives. Sounds a small amount I know, but bear with me.
Virtually everything we have, or do, is a mixture of our senses, or experiences. For example, we may do things that involve smell, or taste, hear, see, or touch.
- We rise in the morning
- Eat breakfast
- go to work
- have friends
- interact with lots of people
- have a partner, or live alone
- Go on holiday
- do gardening
- cuddle or intimacy
Obviously there are more but you get the point.
All around the world we are doing the same thing. We are not that different from each other.
And if we are lucky, we keep these things, well, at least most of them.
But if they are suddenly taken from us, I believe our brains try to keep us balanced to compensate for the missing emotion or person.
Rather like filling in the gaps of a giant Jigsaw Puzzle.
Has The Lockdown Upset Your Dreams?
One Last Thing......
I did something the other night I haven't done for years.
I talked in my sleep!
I used to do it all the time when I was little and living at home. I believe it was caused by the fact that I was bullied every day for ten years at school.
When I left school, I never did it again.
- Sleepwalking - Is Reincarnation or the Supernatural the Answer
I nearly killed my brother while sleepwalking! Is reincarnation or genetic memory the answer to this question, why do we walk in our sleep?
- Dream Your Way To Success Like These Famous People I...
These people dreamed their way to success, literally! Winning a Nobel Prize for Science, inventing the sewing needle, great works of literature and many more. Interpret your dreams.
- A Dream of Cavaliers Reincarnation or Genetic Memory...
Reincarnation or past lives, have we lived before? Or is it genetic memory? oOr dreams open our mind to the past, and sometimes take us back to when we lived before. This is my story.
- Why Do We Dream The Same Thing Over And Over?
Do you have a recurring dream that is so frightening it wakes you at night? Here we take a look at spooky house dreams and why they disturb us so much. Includes my story of a house of horror.
- Genetic Memory - Are You Dreaming Your Ancestors Mem...
When you dream do you feel as though it is someone else's memory? Do you ever dream of other times and places? Here we take a look at Genetic Memory and how it may influence your life.
- Are Dreams Really Just Random Memories or Pathways t...
Science now believes that we are part of an amazing network of parallel worlds that interact with our own. Are dreams part of that scenario and do we visit these other worlds while we sleep?
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2020 Nell Rose