- Religion and Philosophy»
- Exploring Religious Options
What Allah & Muhammad (pbuh) Say About Jesus Christ (pbuh) and Mother Mary (pbuh)
The end of every year brings a joyous occasion, Christmas. People from across the globe celebrate the festival of the Birth of Jesus Christ (peace be upon him) with great fervor and enthusiasm. At the advent of this sacred occasion I extend my warm greetings, Wish you all a very happy Christmas.
On the eve of this auspicious occasion, I would like to open up the Islamic Door for you, just let yourself in and find out how the Divine Injunctions describe the Divine Persona of Jesus Christ (pbuh) and Mother Mary (pbuh) with great reverence. The words of God not only adorn these Divine Personalities but also provide us with a solid platform to work towards communal harmony and mutual co-operation.
Through this write I would like to introduce to you the teachings of Allah (Quran) and His Messenger (Hadith) about Jesus Christ (pbuh) and Mother Mary (pbuh), with a hope that a sense will surely prevail that Muslims too are equally participating in your joyous moments.
Jesus Christ in the Quran
In the Quran description of Jesus Christ (pbuh) appeared 25 times (whereas that of Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) is just 4 times), the details are as under, the verses have been quoted here in the same sequence as appeared in the Quran:
- And We gave Moses the Book and sent after him a train of Messengers in succession. Then We sent Jesus, son of Mary, with clear Signs and supported him with the Holy Spirit. Then how is it that whenever a Messenger came to you wish that which did not suit your lusts, you grew rebellious against him, and repudiated some and slew others. (Ch 2: Verse 87).
- Say to them, "We believe in Allah and the Guidance which has been sent down to us and which was sent to Abraham, Ismail , Isaac and Jacob and his descendants and which was given by their Lord to Moses and Jesus and to all other Prophets. We do not discriminate against any of them and we have completely surrendered to Allah as Muslims." (Ch 2: Verse 136).
- Of these Messengers (whom We sent for the guidance of mankind), We raised some above the others in rank. Among them was one with whom Allah Himself had direct talks. There were others whom He raised high in rank in other ways. Likewise We gave clear signs to Jesus, son of Mary, and supported him with the Holy Spirit…..(Ch 2: Verse 253).
- And when the angels said: 'O Mary! Allah gives you the glad tidings of a command from Him: his name shall be Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary. He shall be highly honored in this world and in the Next, and shall be one of those near stationed to Allah. (Ch 3: Verse 45).
- And when Jesus perceived their leaning towards unbelief, he asked: 'Who will be my helpers in the way of Allah?' The disciples said: 'We are the helpers of Allah. We believe in Allah, and be our witness that we have submitted ourselves exclusively to Allah. (Ch 3: Verse 52).
- (And it was part of His scheme) when Allah said: 'O Jesus! I will recall you and raise you up to Me and will purify you (of the company) of those who disbelieve, and will set your followers above the unbelievers till the Day of Resurrection. Then to Me you shall return, and I will judge between you regarding what you differed. (Ch 3: Verse 55).
- Surely, in the sight of Allah, the similitude of the creation of Jesus is as the creation of Adam whom He created out of dust, and then said: 'Be', and he was. (Ch 3: Verse 59).
- Say: 'We believe in Allah and what was revealed to us and what was revealed to Abraham and Ishmael and to Issac and Jacob and his descendants, and the teachings which Allah gave to Moses and Jesus and to other Prophets. We make no distinction between any of them and to Him do we submit. (Ch 3: Verse 84).
- And their saying: 'We slew the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary', the Messenger of Allah - whereas in fact they had neither slain him nor crucified him but the matter was made dubious to them - and those who differed about it too were in a state of doubt! They have no definite knowledge of it, but merely follow conjecture; and they surely slew him not. (Ch 4: Verse 157).
- We have revealed to you as We revealed to Noah and the Prophets after him, and We revealed to Abraham, Ishmael, Isaac, Jacob and the offspring of Jacob, and Jesus and Job, and Jonah, and Aaron and Solomon, and We gave to David Psalms. (Ch 4: Verse 163).
- O People of the Book! Do not exceed the limits in your religion, and attribute to Allah nothing except the truth. The Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, was only a Messenger of Allah, and His command that He conveyed unto Mary, and a spirit from Him (which led to Mary's conception). (Ch 4: Verse 171).
- And We sent Jesus, the son of Mary, after those Prophets, confirming the truth of whatever there still remained of the Torah. And We gave him the Gospel, wherein is guidance and light, and which confirms the truth of whatever there still remained of the Torah, and a guidance and admonition for the God-fearing. (Ch 5: Verse 46).
- Those of the Children of Israel who took to unbelief have been cursed by the tongue of David and Jesus, son of Mary, for they rebelled and exceeded the bounds of right. (Ch 5: Verse 78).
- Imagine, then, when Allah will say: 'Jesus, son of Mary, recall My favor upon you and your mother, and when I strengthened you with the spirit of holiness so that you talked to men in the cradle and also when you became of age; and when I taught you the Book and Wisdom, and the Torah and the Gospel; and when, by My leave, you fashioned from clay the likeness of a bird and you breathed into it, and by My leave it became a bird; you healed, by My leave, the blind from birth and the leprous; and when, by My leave, you caused the dead to come to life. And recall when I restrained the Israelites from you when you came to them with clear proofs whereupon those of them who disbelieved said: This is nothing but clear magic. (Ch 5: Verse 110).
- Also recall when the disciples asked Jesus, son of Mary: 'Jesus, son of Mary, has your Lord the power to send down to us a repast from the heaven?' There- upon Jesus said: 'Fear Allah if you do indeed have faith.'(Ch 5: Verse 112).
- Jesus, son of Mary, then prayed: 'O Allah, our Lord, send down to us a repast from the heavens that shall be a festival for the first of us and for the last of us, and a sign from You. And provide us with sustenance, for You are the best Provider of sustenance.'(Ch 5: Verse 114).
- And imagine when thereafter Allah will say: 'Jesus, son of Mary, did you say to people: Take me and my mother for gods beside Allah? And he will answer: Glory to You! It was not for me to say what I had no right to. Had I said so, You would surely have known it. You know all what is within my mind whereas I do not know what is within Yours. You, indeed, know fully all that is beyond the reach of human perception. (Ch 5: Verse 116).
- (And of his descendants We guided) Zakariya (Zachariah), Yahya (John), Isa (Jesus) and Ilyas (Elias): each one of them was of the righteous. (Ch 6: Verse 85).
- This is Jesus, the son of Mary; and this is the truth about him concerning which they are in doubt. (Ch 19: Verse 34).
- And (O Prophet,) remember the Covenant that We took from all the Prophets-from you as well as from Noah and Abraham and Moses and Jesus son of Mary. We took a solemn Covenant from all of theme. (Ch 33: Verse 7).
- He has appointed for you the same Way of life which He had ordained for Noah and which (O Muhammad) We have now revealed to you; and which We had already enjoined on Abraham and Moses and Jesus, stressing: "Establish this Way and be not divided in it.” The same thing to which you (O Muhammad) are calling the disbelievers has set them ill at ease. Allah chooses for Himself whomever He wills, and He guides to His Way only him who turns to Him (in penitence). (Ch 42: Verse 13).
- And when Jesus had come with clear Signs, he had said, "I have brought wisdom to you, and have come to make plain to you the reality of those things in which you differ: so fear Allah and follow me. (Ch 42: Verse 63).
- After them We sent Our Messengers, one after the other and followed them with Jesus son of Mary and gave him the Gospel, and We put in the hearts of those who followed him, compassion and mercy, but monasticism they themselves invented-we did not prescribe it for them: they invented it themselves in order to seek Allah's good will. But then they did not observe it as it should have been observed. We gave those of them who had believed their rewards, but most of them are transgressors. (Ch 57: Verse 27).
- And remember what Jesus, son of Mary, had said: "O children of Israel, I am indeed a Messenger sent to you by Allah, confirming the Torah which has come before me and giving the good news of a Messenger who shall come after me, whose name shall be Ahmad” (Ch 61: Verse 6).
- You who have believed! Be helpers of Allah even as Jesus, son of Mary, had said to the disciples, "Who will be my helpers (in calling) towards Allah?" and the disciples had answered, “We are helpers of Allah.” Then, some of the children of Israel believed and others disbelieved. So We aided the believers against their enemies, and they alone became triumphant. (Ch 61: Verse 14).
Mother Mary (pbuh) in The Quran
The name of Mother Mary appeared 34 times in the Quran, of which 18 times appeared in the verses mentioned above, they are – Ch 2: Verse87, 2:253, 3:45, 3:45, 4:157, 4:171, 4:171, 5:46, 5:78, 5:110, 5:112, 5:114, 5:116, 19:34, 33:7, 57:27, 61:6, 61:14 – and rest of the appearances are as follows:
- But when she gave birth to a female child, she said: 'O Lord! I have given birth to a female' - and Allah knew full well what she had given birth to - 'and a female is not the same as a male. I have named her Mary and commit her and her offspring to You for protection from Satan, the accursed.'(Ch 3: Verse 36).
- Thereupon her Lord graciously accepted Mary and vouchsafed to her a goodly growth and placed her in the care of Zechariah. Whenever Zechariah visited her in the sanctuary, he found her provided with food. He asked her: 'O Mary, how did this come to you?' She said: 'It is from Allah. Allah provides sustenance to whom He wills beyond all reckoning.' (Ch 3: Verse 37).
- Then came the time when the angels said: 'O Mary! Behold, Allah has chosen you, and made you pure, and exalted you above all the women in the world. (Ch 3: Verse 37).
- Mary! Remain devout to your Lord, and prostrate yourself in worship, and bow with those who bow (before Him).'(Ch 3: Verse 43).
- We reveal to you this account from a realm which lies beyond the reach of your perception for you were not with them when they drew lots with their pens about who should be Mary's guardian, and you were not with them when they disputed about it. (Ch 3: Verse 44).
- And for their going so far in unbelief as uttering against Mary a mighty calumny, (Ch 4: Verse 156).
- Indeed those who said: 'Christ, the son of Mary, he is indeed God', disbelieved. Say 'Who could have overruled Allah had He so willed to destroy Christ, the son of Mary, and his mother, and all those who are on earth?' For to Allah belongs the dominion of the heavens and the earth and all that is between them; He creates what He wills. Allah is All-Powerful. (Ch 5: Verse 17).
- And surely they disbelieved when they said: 'Christ, the son of Mary, is indeed God'; whereas Christ had said: 'Children of Israel! Serve Allah, Who is your Lord and my Lord.' Allah has forbidden Paradise to those who associate anything with Him in His divinity and their refuge shall be the Fire. No one will be able to help such wrong-doers. (Ch 5: Verse 72).
- The Messiah, son of Mary, was no more than a Messenger before whom many Messengers have passed away; and his mother adhered wholly to truthfulness, and they both ate food (as other mortals do). See how We make Our signs clear to them; and see where they are turning away! (Ch 5: Verse 75).
- They take their rabbis and their monks for their Lords beside Allah, and also the Messiah, son of Mary, whereas they were commanded to worship none but the One God. There is no god but He. Exalted be He above those whom they associated with Him in His divinity. (Ch 9: Verse 31).
- Recite in the Book the account of Mary, when she withdrew from her people to a place towards the east. (Ch 19: Verse 16).
- Then she came to her people, carrying her baby. They said: 'O Mary! You have committed a monstrous thing. (Ch 19: Verse 27).
- And We made Mary's son, and his mother, a sign, and We gave them refuge on a lofty ground, a peaceful site with springs flowing in it. (Ch 23: Verse 50).
- And when the son of Mary was cited as an example, your people raised a clamor at it. (Ch 43: Verse 57).
- And (Allah) cites the example of Mary, daughter of Imran who had guarded her chastity. So We breathed into her body of Our Spirit, and she testified to the Words of her Lord and His Books, and she was one of the obedient. (Ch 66: Verse 12).
Note: the name Mary has been appeared twice in Ch 5: Verse 17, please refer no. 7 above.
Jesus, the Messiah (pbuh)
In the Quran Jesus Christ (pbuh) has been referred as Messiah about 11 times, of which 9 appearance can be found in the above verses, that is – Ch 3: Verse 45, 4:157, 4:171, 5:17, 5:17, 5:72, 5:72, 5:75, 9:31, and the remaining two appearances are as under:
- The Messiah neither did disdain to be a servant of Allah nor do the angels who are stationed near to Him; and whoever disdains to serve Him, and waxes arrogant, Allah will certainly muster them all to Him. (Ch 4: Verse 172).
- The Jews say: 'Ezra ('Uzyr) is Allah's son,’ is Allah's son,' and the Christians say: 'The Messiah is the son of Allah.' These are merely verbal assertions in imitation of the sayings of those unbelievers who preceded them. May Allah ruin them. How do they turn away from the truth? (Ch 9: Verse 30).
Hadith on Jesus Christ (pbuh)
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) sayings on Jesus Christ (pbuh) can be found in almost all authentic books of Ahadith, wherein different dimensions regarding Jesus Christ (pbuh) have been mentioned with a specific reference to the relationship between Jesus Christ (pbuh) and Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) . A few of them are:
- I heard Allah's Apostle saying, "I am the nearest of all the people to the son of Mary, and all the prophets are paternal brothers, and there has been no prophet between me and him (i.e. Jesus)." (Narrator Abu Huraira, Bukhari Book of Hadith).
- Allah's Prophet said, "Both in this world and in the Hereafter, I am the nearest of all the people to Jesus, the son of Mary. The prophets are paternal brothers; their mothers are different, but their religion is one." (Narrator Abu Huraira, Bukhari Book of Hadith)
- Allah's Apostle said, "By Him in Whose Hands my soul is, surely (Jesus,) the son of Mary will soon descend amongst you and will judge mankind justly (as a Just Ruler) (Narrator Abu Huraira, Bukhari Book of Hadith)
- Allah's Prophet (pbuh) said: I am most close to Jesus, son of Mary, among the whole of mankind in this worldly life and the next life. They said: Allah's Messenger how is it? Thereupon he said: Prophets are brothers in faith, having different mothers. Their religion is, however, one and there is no Apostle between us (between I and Jesus Christ). (Narrator Abu Huraira, Abu Dawood Book of Hadith).
Prophet Muhammad (pbuh)’s guidance for co-existence:
With Islam’s rising influence in Arabia by 626 A.D., Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) sent a series of letters to the kings and leaders surrounding the Arab peninsula with an intention for peace and cooperation. One such letter he provided to a delegation from St. Catherine’s Monastery which is called the “Charter of Privileges.” St. Catherine Monastery at Mount Sinai proudly commemorates Prophet Muhammad’s letter . The original letter can be found at the royal treasury in Constantinople in Turkey. A copy is preserved and is on display at the St. Catherine Monastery. The letter reads:
"This is a message from Prophet Muhammad son of Abdullah, as a covenant to those who adopt Christianity, near and far, we are with them. Verily I, the servants, the helpers, and my followers defend them, because Christians are my citizens; and by Allah! I hold out against anything that displeases them. No compulsion [in religion] is to be on them.
Neither are their judges to be removed from their jobs nor their monks from their monasteries. No one is to destroy a house of their religion, to damage it, or to carry anything from it to the Muslims' houses. Should anyone take any of these, he would spoil God's covenant and disobey His Prophet. Verily, they are my allies and have my secure charter against all that they hate. No one is to force them to travel or to oblige them to fight. The Muslims are to fight for them. If a female Christian is married to a Muslim, it is not to take place without her approval. She is not to be prevented from visiting her church to pray. Their Churches are to be respected. They are neither to be prevented from repairing them, nor the sacredness of their covenants. No one of the nation (of Muslims) is to disobey this covenant till the Last Day (end of the world)."
We are at the juncture of joyous occasions, Marry Christmas then New Year; let us resolve to abide by something constructive and what resolution can be better than dreaming of a world of peaceful co-existence and formulation of an action plan in accordance with it?
© 2014 - Muhammad Abdullah Javed ( m abdullah javed)