What To Expect When Seeing a Medium Or Psychic
What is Mediumship or Psychic ability?
Mediumship has been around for a very long time, but it gained popularity in the 19th century. Mediums claim to mediate communication with people that have passed out of their physical bodies via the act we refer to as death. All Mediums are psychic, but not all psychics are mediums, meaning, many psychics will be able to give you information about your past, present, and possibly future, but do not channel or speak with those that have left their physical bodies. Mediums not only communicate with those in spirit, but can also do psychic work and often forms of energy healing.
There are many different forms of mediumship, the most common today being mental mediumship. I won't go into all the different types, but it is important to keep in mind that all psychics and mediums have different ways in which they work. Mediums however do not typically rely on tools, such as: tarot cards, astrology, numerology, pendulums, etc. They will use them if they choose but it's not needed when communicating with spirit. Are we all psychic? To some degree yes we are. We are all made of the same matter and all inter-connected. Some people just take to this form of communication more than others, like any other ability, some just happen to excel at this, they act as a conduit or channel for spirit communication.
National Spiritualist Association of Churches
What type of reader should I contact?
Mediums and or psychics are often referred to as readers. Depending on what type of reading you are looking for will determine who you'd want to contact. If you are trying to reach someone that has passed away, you will want to contact a spirit medium. If you are over-all curious about your career, love life, healing, things transpiring around you, a psychic can help with that. A medium can help with all these things as well, but don't be surprised if you visit a medium for a basic reading and your late Aunt Sally pops in for a chat. If you are looking for health information, past life details, spirit guide information, etc...some mediums will help, and healers can also be of service. If you find a medium you are interested in speaking with, ask them how they work and what areas they focus on. Let them know what you are hoping to accomplish by speaking to them. A genuine reader will be happy to tell you how they work, and if they cannot help you will gladly refer you to someone that can.
Many mediums can be found by google, online for free in chat groups such as on facebook, local spiritual churches, and phone directories.
What is the purpose of seeking a medium or psychic reading?
There are many reasons people wish to speak with a medium, psychic or healer. Here are a few of the main ones.
- For confirmation that their loved one(s) in spirit are okay and to talk to them after their current physical life has transferred into spirit.
- For healing; mentally, physically and spiritually.
- For information and guidance on their current life path/journey
How do mediums work?
This obviously won’t apply to all mediums as many work differently. But there are some similarities worth mentioning. Please keep this in mind when contacting a psychic or medium.
1. No psychic or medium has all the answers, they will never tell you what to do, as we all have free will choice (this typically comes up in relationship reads, finance issues, career, etc). We also have lives to live here, families, work and responsibilities just as you do, including off days. It is not healthy for mediums to read all the time, or for people to want reads all the time.
2. Not all readings are the same and not all connections with spirit feel the same. We give information we get, and cannot always answer specific questions you may have. We ask you to keep an open mind, and when things don’t make sense, hold the info for later reflection. A lot of times info in a read will make more sense weeks, months or even years out. Spirit communication is not texting or instant messaging. Spirits are pure energy who vibrate intelligent concepts to the medium through frequency transfer, usually in the form of evidence. Evidence of the identity of a spirit comes in many ways. It could be how the person looked while alive, cause of passing, personality profile, name, significant dates, memories or an awareness of things happening in your life since the person passed. Do not volunteer information but be prepared to verify these pieces of evidence so the medium can proceed to messages the spirit needs to communicate to you.
3. Medium readings are typically like a 3 way phone conversation, with the medium being the telephone line. Be sober and available. We do not have spirit on speed-dial, and you may wish to speak to your mother, but your uncle or grandma will come through. Sometimes whole families will come through. If the channel is open, we do not always know who will want to get a message to you. Sometimes the message isn’t even for you, it may be a parent wishing to get a message to your sibling, etc...
4. Sometimes information can become quite sensitive or personal in nature, the goal of a reading is to promote healing, but keep in mind sometimes difficult information can come up.
5. Sometimes messages received are very short, and right to the point. A reading can go on and on, or it could simply be one simple message. Unfortunately this varies by spirit and also the capabilities of the psychic or medium.
6. Don’t feel discouraged or aggravated if you do not get the information you are looking for. Typically you will get what you need but not always what you want. Demanding doesn’t seem to speed up the process. Please don’t take this personal, it is not.
7. Some things do not always seem important to spirit/or mediums guides that may be to you. Such as relationship reads, lost objects, the future. Keep things in perspective, you are the master of your soul, and the builder of your life. This obviously varies greatly by mediums and their spirit teams as well as by abilities. Many approach a reading wanting to know about their future. Spirit contact isn’t about prophecy; it is about guidance and healing. Prediction is possible, but it is you—not a spirit—who has the decision making power to affect your own future. Rarely do psychics or mediums do future reads. Some can advise on guidance for certain issues that pop up in your current life, but future information should always be taken with a grain of salt and with your own personal discernment.
8. Whenever you receive a reading, you should ideally walk away from it feeling more positive, more hopeful, more healed, and more peaceful. We are not predictors of gloom and doom.
9. What is your role in a reading? It is your role to validate the information the medium presents from a spirit. Be respectful of the medium and let them know when they are correct and do not try to confuse them. Many pieces of information which come through during a reading may not make sense to you right away. Don’t be so quick to say “no” when something is communicated through a medium. Instead, take it under advisement and give yourself time to reflect upon it. Do not talk over, interrupt or argue with the medium or insist things be done your way. This creates unnecessary tension and may very well result in termination of the reading. It is also very important to be open and honest during the session. Please avoid playing “Test the Psychic” or try to stump and confuse the medium. It is counterproductive to the reading and is disrespectful to both the medium and the spirits who are very sensitive to our behavior and intentions. Let the spirits come through on their own and let the information transmitted by them to the medium flow naturally. After a reading it is best to do something relaxing. You may want to sit quietly or go for a walk. Give yourself a break and let the messages from the Other Side settle in. It often requires days and sometimes even weeks for you to receive the maximum benefit of the information presented during a reading.
Things a medium or psychic should never do
Being that all spiritual workers work differently, there are still a few things that should be said about what a medium or psychic should NOT do during a reading.
- They should never charge you so much that your bank account runs dry, this is work and it's okay to charge for services, but anything sounding ridiculously expensive is just not okay. Genuine mediums do not want to rip people off. Keep that in mind.
- They should never scare you. They should never tell you that you are cursed and that you have hexes that need to be removed, or spiritual attachments that can't be removed without payment. They should not give advice they are not trained to give, such as; legal, financial, or medical.
- They should not require you to sit in person with them (although some prefer that), this simply is not needed.
- They should NEVER tell you what to do with your life or choices, or tell you what you should believe or not believe in. Period. Especially when it comes to religious views.
- They should never claim they can completely predict the future, nor should you take future predictions as absolute fact. There are simply to many variables constantly at work that can affect outcomes.
Things a Medium or Psychic May do
- Offer guidance, advice, and support for your current life situation
- Bring forward those who wish to speak to you in spirit and to mediate communication and healing
- Refer you to other spiritual workers that may specialize in fields they do not, such as: past life regression therapists, astrologers, numerologists, Shamans, healers or those that work specifically with ascended masters or spirit guides
- Smudging; Native American Sage Burning-why you shoul...
Burning sage should be done to keep yourself and environment balanced. It promotes maintaining a peaceful state of being, and clears negative energy. Think of it as
Q&A and quick tips
- Ask a medium for testimonials on readings they have done, so you can get a feel for how they work and validity in what they can do.
- Is it unreasonable for a medium to charge? NO. However, if a medium is charging an exorbitant amount or claiming they can remove curses, hexes or attachments for a fee, decline and find someone to help that you can comfortably afford. Many will also help when in a financial situation, so don't hesitate to ask.
- An authentic medium will NEVER scare you or try to empty your bank account.
- What is a reasonable amount for a medium reading? This varies, but it's typical to see fee's ranging anywhere from $50-$300 an hour and sometimes much more.
- Unless the medium works with tools, they should not require much information to read for you other then perhaps your first name. Any reader asking more questions then giving information you should be cautious of.
- If you go to see a medium hoping to hear from your mother and don't, does that mean she can't be contacted? NO. Mediums do not have control of which spirits will try to come in to talk. You could go to speak to your mother and hear from your uncle, or even hear from half your family, lost friends, etc...
- Do readings have to be done in person? NO. Spirit communication does not have any time, space, or distance barriers like we do here on the earth plane. Readings can be done in person, online, and over the telephone. This is also true for distance healing.
- During a reading, a medium should be able to give you multiple verifiable facts about people in spirit. This is called validation. This information can come in various ways, but a lot of the times it will be names, dates, the personality of how they were when living, how they looked, details on how they passed, etc...
- Do I have to go to a reading alone? NO. But please ask the medium how they work and if they will allow a friend or spouse to sit with you during the reading.
- Relax during your reading, have fun, and welcome any growth or healing that may come from it.
How to prepare for a reading and what to expect
Here are some things to consider when contacting any type of reader and what to expect from a reading.
Go into a reading with an open mind. Be willing to accept the information you are given. Mediums are people too, keep this in mind and be respectful. Sometimes things do not always make sense and will after some time passes. Asking the reader to be allowed to record, tape, or receive a copy of your session should always be permitted, and many will provide that anyhow. Some mediums will ask for a photograph, or personal item of the person who has passed, be willing to provide an item if asked, but do not give them information they do not need or request. When seeking a medium read in person, it is always okay to remove any personal items from your being that may disclose things about yourself; such glasses, work attire, and wedding rings.
DURING A READING
Relax, and keep an open mind. If you are in person for the reading, you may be asked to sit with your limbs uncrossed or not folded, this is to allow a reader to pick up on your aura field/energy surrounding your physical body. Some readers will request your first and last name, not only for their own safety but also to get a vibration off your name. Keep in mind that readers are just like you. We are all made of the same spiritual "stuff" and you should not feel uncomfortable in any way, or pressured to give them info you do not want to give. We all have our unique way of working, as well as individual personalities, so some mediums you may find you just "connect" well with, and others do not. This is all okay. If you do feel uncomfortable, trust your own instincts and leave the reading or find another reader to help you. Many mediums use tools such as stones/crystals, cards, music, pen and paper, incense, smudging etc, there is no need to feel uncomfortable, just keep in mind they all work differently and be open to the possibilities.
Before beginning make sure you are recording the session if that has been discussed. Many times people seek a reader for help and during excitement or nervousness not all things make sense, so it is nice to have recordings or documents to review at a later time. If the medium or psychic asks questions during the read, please answer them simply with "yes" "no", "or I don't know", or "I can't take that" as the reading progresses you will get a feel for how much info needs to be shared, but should not disclose information that would make the reader know all about you or your particular situation. Many times, due to the nature of this work, mediums will receive images or words that they cannot decipher. They may give you this information and ask if it makes sense to you, simply "yes I can take that" or "that makes sense" will help keep the connection in your reading. It is important to remember that messages are unique and for YOU. Genuine mediums will be able to give you facts about the person or people you are trying to talk to in spirit, and this information can come in many forms. A good medium will always be respectful, non-judgmental, and never intentionally scare or frighten you. Do not be disappointed when receiving a reading and not getting the information you wanted. Again, go with an open mind. Many times we will get the information we need, but not always what we want. This has nothing to do with the authenticity of a reader. A medium or psychic is like a channel or antenna, they simply deliver the information they receive. This is worth keeping in mind in case you go for a reading and the person you had hoped to hear from does not come through.
- How to Read and See Aura Energy
With a little effort and practice, you can begin to easily see and read energy auras. Here's how.
What you should expect as a client
A medium should be aware of your grief and be compassionate should you have just lost a loved one. However, please keep in mind they are not grief counselors and may suggest outside help if needed. They should be kind and considerate while delivering messages they are receiving. They should be able to provide you with ample PROOF about your loved ones in spirit. They should never make you feel scared or concerned about your safety or well being. They should never tell you what to do, what to believe, or condemn any act you've done or acts of others. The experience should be uplifting, healing, and should help you remember that we simply do not die upon the physical act we call death. If all goes well, you will walk away from your reading feeling better, happier, and hopeful.