What is the purpose of our existence?
Is there an ultimate purpose?
There are so many comments and questions regarding the purpose of life.
Common questions such as why did God create this world if he intends to destroy it in the end? Or why did God allow satan to rule this world and bring about evil on the earth? Or why did God allow disease and disasters to happen? Or why is it that good people seem to suffer or die young while the wicked seem to prosper and live long lives?
Some golden rules need to be to understood before discussing the purpose of life:
There are three forces in existence in this world; God, Man, Satan. Each of these have their own agenda. This needs to be clear to the reader.
- First we will start with Man. Since the Garden of Eden, there has been a curse on the land, as a result of human disobedience and rebellion (see Genesis). Human disobedience, idolatry, wiitchcraft , and rebellion etc is prevalent in societies all over the world. These are acts of lawlessness! God created this whole world! So do you honestly think he is going to sit back and allow this wickedness to continue without any kind of retribution? The rebelliousness of mankind is part of man's purpose, to rebel against God and try to show independence, without God. Many attempts have and are still being made, to completely erase God and his love from this world. Mankind says boldly 'He can manage perfectly well without a mighty God', (rather like a rebellious teenager just before he leaves home). However, people fail to acknowledge (because they are so grounded in deception, intellectual arguments and debates or theories, and puffed up with pride,) that they forget God created them! So Man's goal is to try to supercede God in everyway.
- That reminds me of the other force - satan! That is also his goal, ironically both Mankind and Satan have the same goal! Both choose to rebel against God and both seek ways to supercede the Almighty Creator! Can you see how easy it is therefore, that satan has found his followers? People who rebel against God are natural followers, so he has an automatic army of nations, particularly the antichrists and antisemites! Satan rebelled against God and was cast out of heaven, however, he has been given free reign over this world for a purpose and his time is limited to when God says "It is Done!" Satan's goal now is to attempt to reduce God's army,( consisting of christians and Jews on earth) so that he will have victory over this world. To achieve this, it is satan's goal to attack God's chosen and then Yeshua's people! He has done this in several ways, but he attempts to abduct/entice /kill/ or render them incompetent (loose their faith or motivation to fight, or pray etc). He steals those who are on a sandy foundation, weak in faith and lacking wisdom or knowledge of God's word. He leads them from God's righteous pathway and then dumps them in the slough of dispondency, doubt or disbelief where they become vulnerable to the world of sin, corruption, lawlessness and idolatry!
- And now we come to God's purpose - he is so different to mankind and satan - he oozes love, mercy, grace, gifts, and gave up HIs only Son so that we may walk with him for ever! He actually wants to share what he has with us! He wants to be part of our lives, as a family! He is the most powerful, most awesome and the only divine out of the three forces yet -mankind in his foolishness chooses to follow satan who gives them temporary gifts - that have no guarantee to last! Satan does not and cannot offer eternal life only the opposite! He shows false love and showers gifts only to achieve his goals. He has no interest in love, only destruction. His people (subjects) are but puppets on a string, used to lure the 'saints' and 'chosen' into the traps'! God's purpose is for His people to be refined like rare and precious gold! To become holy as God is holy! To have fellowship with him. He has many wanderful gifts for us to help us through this world but also future promises for the world to come. There is so much more to God's purpose but too much for this hub! It is sufficient to say that God has great plans for his people in the near future and it includes Yeshua (Jesus) as the king of the New Jerusalem!
The reader needs to understand that God has made promises, covenants and prophesies which he intents to keep. He does not change his mind,he may delay events, but he does not make a covenant or a promise and then take it away or change it! Why because he foreplanned the events of this world, he knew each one of us before we were even born. The scriptures demonstrate that God is Almighty and powerful and created everything, therefore God is not under the power of satan or requires the work of mankind in order to survive or to be successful, or to fulfil is prophesies. Through his son Yeshua, he has given his people the power to stand against satan so it is obvious therefore that God is mightier than satan!
- A fallacy people have is that without mankind's help God could not fulfil his plans. He has the power to destroy this world at a flick of a finger if he so desires, he certainly does not need our help for anything. However, he does want to have fellowship with us and he does request our help purely out of love, as a loving parent who encourages a child to help with the housework knowing full well the child will make more mess when helping, than the mess in the first place!
- Another important rule is to understand that God does not control peoples lives like puppets, even though he knows our path in life- each one of us has two choices, 1) is to chose the path of righteousness (God's way) or 2). choosing the unrighteous pathway. God knows the heart of those he creates and therefore he knows the path that person is likely to take. However, he still (by His grace and mercy) provides many opportunities to change our unrighteous course to the righteous one. His ultimate grace and mercy option came to his people via Jesus Christ! Again this was always God's plan for mankind, to send Yeshua (Jesus) to us as a mediator, this was prophesied in the psalms, the proverbs, in the book of Isaiah, and many other books prior to Yeshua's life in Jerusalem. He is the ultimate 'way' for people to become righteous. Many were righteous before Yeshua came to this world, such as Abraham, Moses and Joshua. But this generation has the privilege of a saviour and the direct gift of salvation, that previous generations did not physically experience. Previous generations came under a different grace (which takes too much explanation in this hub). Previous generations knew of Yeshua and many even saw him but the cross and its significance was not presented as it is to us today. It is because we are the last generation that Yeshua came as 'The Way, The Truth, and The Life! All of this is God's purpose!
- God has demonstrated, throughout his Word, of his judgement. He despises evil deeds! He knows those who commit evil deeds just as he foreknew us before we were ever born. He created everything and everybody in the world. He does not change his mind. Believers have convinced themselves that because Yeshua came into the world that God has changed his mind about evil and he has imparted his grace upon everyone regardless of what they do, regardless of their evil. All through scripture, including the New Testament, God demonstrates his judgement on the individual and the nations because of their wickedness! He is a loving God but he also punishes sin! People throw their arms up in the air when disaster strikes, saying 'why did God do that? Yet they fail to look to themselves( as an individual or nation) to see what evil may have caused it. Mankind collectively is responsible for the events that occur. It isn't always God's judgement or punishment. There are specific examples of God's destruction of wicked nations (in the scriptures), e.g. the story of Sodom and Gomorrah, these two nations were totally destroyed because of the homosexuality and sexual immorality that took place there! The same thing happened in the flood where people's sexually immoral behavior and their idolatry brought about God's wrath so that they were all destroyed by the floods. Thousands of Israelites were destroyed, because as God's own chosen, they let him down by choosing idolatry over Him! They made a golden calf. God killed many of those he had loved (his chosen). Because they turned their backs on Him-they were destroyed! How much more will he bring his punishment on those who do not even know him? Mankind is responsible for many things that happen in society, mainly because of sin and greed and the need for power! Greed has created a world of hunger and devastation, not God. However, In these final days (The final Hour) God will bring judgement on the nations and individuals as he did with Pharaoh when he refused to let God's people go. So it shall be in the last days! There will be plagues and war that will come directly from God onto those who turn their backs on him. But God has given them many opportunities and choices and shown his options, through Christ. It is the individual's choice!
- Another rule to remember is that nothing is by coincidence, when you understand this principle then everything falls into place! There is a purpose for everything. All through God's scriptures it reveals his purpose for All mankind, there is one road for the rebellious and another road for the righteous. The first road is very wide and many will walk on this road that leads to destruction, it is the road of the rebellious. The other narrow road leads to eternal life in fellowship with Yeshua and the heavenly father. God has many promises for those who love him, obey him, and look to him in faith and he never changes his mind!
The purposes of God is as follows:
A Message first to the Jews - God's firstborn and chosen ( who God still loves and still has a divine purpose!) Note* God did NOT replace the Jews with Christians. These are two very different peoples and both Jew and Gentile were destined to have the opportunity for salvation. God has different goals for each group -until the end when they come together as one. The Jews have always and will continue to be the apple of God's eye -His First born! The Jews have sinned throughout history and continue to do so and the Christians are no different. Christians and Jews alike are favoured by God for different reasons. The Jews have a covenant with God the father through Moses and the Christians have a covenant with the Son through Christ!
God says to the apple of His eye:
Thus sayeth the Lord, " For to you and your descendants I will give all these lands and will confirm the oath I swore to your father Abraham. I will make your descendants as numerous as the stars in the sky and will give them all the lands, and through your offspring all nations will be blessed, because Abraham obeyed me, my commands, my decrees and my laws." Genesis 26:3-5. However!
"The land must not be sold permanently, because the land is mine and you are but aliens (strangers) and my tenants," Leviticus 25:23 .However!
"But if you will not listen to me and carry out all these commands, and if you reject my decrees and abhor my laws...so violate my covenant...I will scatter you among the nations and draw out my sword and pursue you. Your land will be waste, and your cities will lie in ruins. (Referring to Jews suffering the wrath of God with the rest of the nations, if they disobey God). Leviticus 26:14-15,33. However!
If you do listen to the Lord, "Blessed are you, O Israel! Who is like you, a people saved by the Lord!" Deuteronomy 33:29 AND " In that day the LORD will reach out his hand a second time to reclaim the remnant that is left of his people..(from the nations)... " Isaiah 11:11
And a Message now to the Gentiles:
" The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance. But the day of the Lord will come like a thief. The heavens will disappear with a roar: the elements will be destroyed by fire, and the earth and everything in it will be laid bare. Since everything will be destroyed in this way, what kind of people ought you to be? You ought to live holy and Godly lives ..."2 Peter 3:9-14
"Without holiness no one will see the Lord.
" Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the Kingdom of God. " 1 Corinthians 6:9-10
But the following is the result if you accept Jesus Christ as your saviour and Lord:
"And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God", verse 11.
If you choose to reject God's grace and the gift of salvation through His Son Jesus Christ then:
" See, the Lord is going to lay waste the earth and devastate it; he will ruin its face and scatter its inhabitants - it will be the same for priest as for people, for master as for servant, for mistress as for maid, for seller as for buyer, for borrower as for lender, for debtor as for creditor. The earth will be completely laid waste and totally plundered. The Lord has spoken this word." Isaiah 24 & cross reference with Matthew 24.
People! I request you do not ignore God's warnings! Do not ignore His words! For if you desire a future you can only find it through Christ!
Ignore those pointless theories, those foolish debates and philosophies that try to say God does not exist or that Yeshua was just a man or just a prophet- Step out in faith and the answers to your questions will be revealed. You make the first step and God will respond, it is never the other way around. God will not give you answers until you take a step of faith first! You need to ask in prayer to be shown the truth! " Ask and it shall be given, seek and you shall find, knock and the door shall open".
Step beyond the intellect and put your mind into submission to the Lord Almighty, it is through humility and a broken spirit that he is able to speak to you. It is not until people step out of their comfort zones that they start to look to God for help. Do not wait until a crisis befalls you, it may become too late!