- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Who Am I? - An Inspirational Devotional With 'Who I Am in Christ' Scriptural References.
Who Am I ... really?
'IMAGE!' You can't escape it. We read and hear about it everywhere. We live in a society where 'image', or 'having the right image' is very important.
We have to project the best possible 'image'. People regularly re-invent themselves and 'change their image'.
We pay stylists and spin-doctors to come up with and create the 'cutting-edge image' that is socially acceptable and will set a new trend.
People aspire to emulate a certain 'image'.
However, if 'image' is a constantly changing thing, and 'image' is not 'who I am', cause 'who I am' is truer than 'image' or where I am or what is happening in my life at present ... then 'WHO AM I' ... really?
'Who I Am' is Truer than 'Where I am'
I remember that in the beginning, I started out as 'Daddy's little girl'. However, very soon I became 'the baby's big sister'.
Then one day I became the girlfriend, the fiancé and suddenly I was someone's wife.
Before I knew it I was 'Mum can i?' 'Mum I want!' "Mum where is it? - and 'Muuuuuuum - I'm staaaaaarving!' 'Mum can I have? .... money usually....'
I've been a commuter, an employee, a delegate, a representative, a consumer, a producer, a student, a muso, a member, a leader, a failure, a success, a spectator, a competitor, a witness. EXHAUSTED!
I'm 'the householder, a valued customer, 'to whom it may concern', dear Sir/Madam, a 'Gold Class' driver and I have 'the whole whole in my hand' - Mastercard No. 123456.
I'm a 'choleric melancholic' who is best friends with a 'sanguine phlegmatic'. I love being with people except for when I like being alone. I'm Passport No. 13579. Medicare No. 246810.
I'm 'a good credit risk', 'the policy holder', a subscriber, a graduate, a neighbour, a sister, a daughter, a believer, of French and English extraction with a Spanish deviation.
Some people would try to tell me - I'm a product of my environment, conditioned by my upbringing under the influence of an astrological star sign...but who am I really?
I'm bi-lingual, of 'no distinguishing features, 'and wife', average height and weight, a baby boomer, a carer, an empty nester, and a confidante.
I'm blood type A+ with a caffein additive. I've got my Mum's eyes, my dad's nose, and a mind of my own.
Musically, I'm left of jazz, right off classical and R and B bent. I'd like to be a slave of fashion but I'm enslaved by a 'Tar-get' budget. I'm middle class suburban Aussie with a distant aristocratic ancestry. I'm the lady next door.
I have dreams, hopes, desires, ambitions, fears, frustrations, disappointments, strengths, weaknesses - but who am I?
Our True 'Image'
Well, God says in Psalm 139 that He has searched me and you and He knows us intimately - He's familiar with all our own unique ways. In fact He has made us that way - We are fearfully and wonderfully and awesomely made! He's already thought about you and me even before we were born and He's planned good things for your life and mine. As Jeremiah 29 verse 11 says - He knows the plans He has for us - plans to prosper and not to harm, plans to give a hope and a future.
Here's who God says you are:-
* A child of God - Galatians 3:26 and 4:7.
* The righteousness of God in Christ - Philippians 3:9.
* More than a conqueror - Romans 8:37.
* Always triumphant - 2 Cor. 2:14.
* Forgiven - Ephesians 4:32; Colossians 1:14.
* Healed - 1Peter 2:24; Isaiah 53:6.
* Blessed - Deut. 28:1-13: Galatians 3:9; Ephesians 1:3.
* Able to do all things through Christ - Philippians 4:13.
* At peace with God - Romans 5:1.
* Loved by God - Romans 5:5; Ephesians 1:4.
* A friend of God - Romans 5:17.
* Holy - 1 Corinthians 1:2.
* In partnership with Jesus - 1 Corinthians 1:9.
* A new Creation - 2 Corinthians 6:17.
* Free - Galatians 4:5; Colossians 1:14.
* Adopted into God's family - Ephesians 1:5.
* God's masterpiece - Ephesians 2:10.
* Called by God - Ephesians 4:1.
* A citizen of Heaven - Philippians 1:27.
* Holy and blameless, without a single fault - Colossians 1:22.
* Alive with Christ - Colossians 2:13.
* God's prized possession - James 1:8.
* Kept safe, protected - Psalm 37:28; Psalm 91.
* The head and not the tail - Deut. 23:13.
* Above and not beneath - Deut 23:13.
* Elect - Col. 3:12; Rom. 8:33.
* Victorious - Rev. 21:7.
* Set totally free - Jn. 8:31-33.
* Peaceful - Phil. 4:7.
* A joint heir with Christ - Rom. 8:17.
* Complete...in Him (Christ) - Col. 2:10.
* Alive...in Christ - Eph. 2:5.
* Overtaken with blessings -- Deut. 28:2; Eph. 1:3.
* The light of the world - Matt. 5:14.
* A partaker of the divine nature - 2 Pet. 1:4.
* Called of God - 2 Tim. 1:9.
* Chosen - 1 Thess. 1:4; Eph. 1:4; 1 Pet. 2:4.
* Being changed into His image - 2 Cor. 3:18; Phil. 1:6.
* Beloved of God - Col. 3:12; Rom. 1:7; 1 Thess. 1:4.
In fact, Genesis 1:27-28 says, 'So God created mankind in his own image. In the image of God He created them...then God blessed them.
You are a masterpiece, one of a kind
Created perfectly, for all that God had in mind
Your life's story written, each day planned by Him
To bless you and lead you, Through bright days and dim
Your future's in His hands, as well as today
God will always stay with you, simply trust and obey
M.J. Drury (c) 2015.
All rights reserved.