- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Who You Know
To Know Jesus is to Know the One True God
There is an old saying that most of us have heard at one time or another: "It's not what you know, it's who you know." This can be true in the business world, for instance. A person gets ahead in a company not simply because they are good at a job, although they may be. Rather they are given a promotion because they are friends or relatives of the boss. While this may not always seem fair, nonetheless the boss can hire whom he pleases. He is, in fact, the boss.
Have you ever considered that who you know not only applies to this life, it has a spiritual application as well. You may have all the knowledge in the world and be considered the next Einstein. You could have many connections to some great and influential people in your present life. The world may bow to you and see you as the smartest and greatest human being on planet earth. However, that won't get you anywhere in the Kingdom of God. It's not what you know, or for that matter, what you have. Your eternal destiny is simply based upon Who you know. And that person is the Lord Jesus Christ.
I. Man Without Christ Falls Short of God's Glory
The Bible says that all are sinners and fall short of the glory of God. (Romans 3:23). As sinners, we all deserve death, both physical and spiritual. (Romans 6:23). Physical death is a separation of the body from the soul. Spiritual death is our separation from the God of the universe. This eventually leads to eternal death, which is an eternal separation from God in Hell.
Isaiah says that all our righteousness is as filthy rags. (Isaiah 64:6). Further, man on his own doesn't even seek after God. (Romans 3:11). Indeed, before Jesus became the perfect sacrifice for sin, man was in a hopeless condition (Ephesians 2:12). There was no way to be reconciled to a Holy God who couldn't even look at sin. We were in need of a Savior. Otherwise heaven could never be our home.
II. Jesus is the Only Way to Heaven
Man seeks many ways to work their way to heaven and become acceptable to whatever god in whom they may believe. However, the Bible teaches that there is one, and only one way to spend eternity with the only God that truly exists. That is by placing your faith in the finished work of Jesus Christ, the eternal God-Man who died on the cross for our sins, was buried and rose again. Scripture teaches this very clearly. Here are some major verses on the subject, all either spoken by the Son about Himself, or others speaking about Him:
1) " I am the Way, the Truth and the Life. No man comes unto the Father but by me" (John 14:6).
2) "Neither is there salvation in any other. For there is none other name, under heaven, given among men, whereby we must be saved." (Acts 4:12).
3) "For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life." (John 3:16).
4) " He who believes on the Son has everlasting life. But whoever rejects the Son will not see life, but God's wrath remains on him." (John 3:36).
5) " And the testimony is this, that God has given to us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; and he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life. These things have I written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, so that you may know that you have eternal life." (I John 5:11-13).
The Scriptures are abundantly clear that it's not what you know, but who you know.
There will come a time when every knee shall bow and every tongue will confess that Jesus is Lord to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 2:10). Man will be forced to acknowledge and bend their knees before Christ. It is then that many will claim to have done great things in His name in order to win some last minute favor. However, Jesus will say to these pretenders: "I never knew you: depart from me you that work iniquity." (Matthew 7:23).
There will be a day when it is too late to get into the proper relationship with the only person that we need to know to have eternal life. We have this lifetime to acknowledge Him. Don't put it off until it's too late and die without a saving relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ. Because, once it's over, nothing that we know or have will matter. Jesus Christ is offering a relationship with Himself and with the Father. "Now is the accepted time. Now is the day of salvation." (II Corinthians 6:2). Jesus! Don't leave this earth without Him!