Why Don't You Believe the Devil Exists?
Does the devil exist?
-Yes. The Bible lists more than 200 references to the devil’s existence. It tells us of his origin, his past and present activity and thankfully of his expected end.
If I say I believe in the devil won’t that make bad things happen?
-No. Jesus believes in the existence of the devil. He taught us more about the works of the devil, demons and how to deal with them than he taught us about anything else. Believing he [the devil] exists doesn’t give him any more power to use against you than he already has. Not believing or acknowledging his existence or ignoring him just makes you more deceived about why some things are happening around you and more willing to take a beating from him.
"But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost: In whom the god of this world [Satan] hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them".2 Corinthians 4:3-4
"The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly."John 10:10
"Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil." Ephesians 6:11
Isn’t the devil just a metaphor for evil?
-No. The Biblical references indicate that the devil is a personal being Not a force, an attitude or an imagination. He fell from Heaven. He spoke to God in the heavens; Eve in the garden and to Jesus in the wilderness. He entered into Judas and caused him to betray Jesus.
And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world : he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelation 12:9
Now there was a day when the sons of God came to present themselves before the LORD, and Satan came also among them. And the LORD said unto Satan, Whence comest thou? Then Satan answered the LORD, and said, From going to and fro in the earth, and from walking up and down in it. Job 1:6-7
Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? Genesis 3:1
Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of the devil. Matthew 4:1
Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.And he went his way, and communed with the chief priests and captains, how he might betray him [Jesus] unto them. Luke 22:3-4
Can’t I just ignore the devil and demons?
-You can try, but you can rest assured he will not ignore you. And, what would be the purpose in ignoring them??? Tell me, if your house was infested with bugs, wouldn't you want to get rid of them? Imagine, you open the cabinet and there are roaches running around. You open the cupboard and there are ants crawling everywhere. You open the closet and moths fly out to greet you; and, you open shower and water bugs are coming up the drain.You could ignore that, but would you? Probably not.
It is the same with the devil and demons.We have a means of getting the bugs out of our house and God has given us the weapons to get the devils out of our lives. We have a choice.... but rest assured, the bugs and the devils will only multiply against you if you don't take the responsibility to get rid of them.
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion walketh about, seeking whom he may devour". 1 Peter 5:8
Is it dangerous to talk about the devil?
-No because we have been given power over the works of the devil.
"Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Luke 10:19
"Who hath delivered us from the power of darkness and hath translated us into the kingdom of His dear Son. Colossians 1:13.
Does God want us to discuss and learn about the devil?
-Yes. Jesus spoke more about evil than He did about any other subject in the Bible. We are in a constant state of warfare. The devil and demons are our eternal enemies. We should talk about them to learn about them, their tactics and how to use our God-given weapons against. We should talk about them to learn how to stay free from their influence. The only one that wants us to stay quiet about the devil is the devil himself.
"Lest Satan should get an advantage of us: For we are not ignorant of his devices," 2 Corinthians 2:11
"But the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strongholds." 2 Corinthians 10:4
Does talking about the devil give him power?
-No. Talking about the devil gives us information on how to recognize him, and on how to fight him. Not talking about the devil and exposing his works gives him power to work in our lives unhindered. The devil doesn’t want us to talk about him because he knows the more talk, the more we learn about him and, the more we learn the easier it will be to recognize his activities in our lives and in the lives of others.
Finally, the more we recognize his activities, the more we successfully fight against him.
"Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour:" 1Petet 5:8
"Behold, I give you the authority to trample on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy, and nothing shall by any means hurt you." Luke 10:19 (New King James Version)
Who is the devil?
- The devil began as an archangel Lucifer the light bearer. He held a high place in Heaven. He became Satan when he fell from Heaven. Revelations. 12:7-9
-The Bible calls him:
That wicked, One 2 Thess. 2:8
The god of this world, 2 Cor 4:4
The tempter, 1 Thess 3:5
The power of darkness, Col 1:13
Your adversary, 1 Ptr 5:8
The accuser of our brethren, Rev 12:10
The prince of devils, Matt 12:24
The great dragon, old serpent Rev 12:3-4
Did God make the devil?
-No, God made the angels. Lucifer was one of the archangels and when he got lifted up in pride he changed. His attitude changed, his love changed; he became filled with pride and self-deception. He thought he could become equal to God almighty. This is what turned him into the devil or Satan.
How art thou fallen from heaven, O Lucifer, son of the morning! [how] art thou cut down to the ground, which didst weaken the nations! For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:I will ascend above the heights of the clouds; I will be like the most High. Yet thou shalt be brought down to hell, to the sides of the pit. Isaiah 14:12-15
What about demons? Where did they come from?
-Demons were angels who made the mistake of listening to Lucifer. When he fell, they fell with him.
- And the great dragon was cast out, that old serpent, called the Devil, and Satan, which deceiveth the whole world: he was cast out into the earth, and his angels were cast out with him. Revelation 12:9
Do demons have specialties?
-Yes, some do. Demons are assigned or associated with many physical, mental and emotional conditions. Each of the conditions is considered to be a “spirit “.
Spirit of Infirmity Lk 13:11
Dumb and deaf spirit Mark 9:25
Unclean spirit (used 22 times) Matt 12:43, Mark 1:23, Luke 9:42
Blind spirit Matt 12:22
Familiar spirits Lev. 20:27, Isa. 8:19, 2Kings 23:24
A lying spirit (used 4 times) 1 Kings 22:22-23, 2 Chronicles 18:21-22
Seducing spirit 1 Tim 4:1
Binding spirit Matt 18:18
A foul spirit (used 2 times) Mark 9:25, Rev 18:2
Jealous spirit (used 2 times) Numbers 5:14-30
Does all sickness and disease come from the devil and demons?
- All sickness, disease, trauma, heartache and all evil affect are in the earth because of Satans disobedience to God. Mankind was immune to it all before the disobedience of Adam and Eve.
Since the disobedience of Adam and Eve, mankind is subject to it all. Therefore, sickness and disease can be direct result of demonic influence or the result of our disobedience to physical, mental and spiritual laws.
Remember, the earth and everything on it is cursed. Remember the devil and demons HATE God and they HATE us. Their desire is to destroy all of God’s creation. God has given us provision to fight disease, we know that if we do certain things and stand on His Word, we can live in divine health. Divine health, mentally, physically and spiritually are promises from God and are a part of our "Born-Again Birth Right". If we ignore health regulations, we open the door for the devil to bring sickness upon us.
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have [it] more abundantly. John 10:10
But he [was] wounded for our transgressions [he was] bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace [was] upon him; and with his stripes we are healed. Isaiah 53:5
How did the devil become the “god of this world”?
- When Adam and Eve sinned, they turned the earth over to the temporary authority of the devil and demons. It’s like this, if you lease you house to some “filthy” people they are going to bring filth into your house. You still own the house, but you can’t legally come and go as you please because you gave them temporary authority to live there.
You have to wait until the lease runs out. You can only come in if one of the inhabitants invites you in. So it is with us, we have to invite God into our circumstances. Prayer, praise, worship, preaching, teaching, sharing the gospel and using the Word to fight against the devil all bring God on the scene.
Why do the devil and demons hate us?
-We are made in the image and likeness of God. The devil and demons hate God, God loves us and the devil hates anything that God loves. Also, God came in human form for the purpose of defeating the devil and redeeming man.
What will happen to the devil and demons?
-They will be cast into everlasting fire
- Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels: Matt. 25:41
1. What where Jesus’ encounters with the devil and demons?
-Jesus was tempted by the devil,
- Then was Jesus led up of the Spirit into the wilderness to be tempted of devil. Matthew 4:1
-Jesus resisted the devil,
-Jesus responded to the devil by speaking the Word of God
- Then saith Jesus unto him, Get thee hence, Satan:.. Matthew 4:10
-Everywhere Jesus saw demonic oppression He got rid of it.
- But he [Jesus] answered and said, It is written,...Matthew 4:4, 7
-Jesus called epilepsy and other seizures different sicknesses were of the devil.
- How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and power: who went about doing good and healing all who were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. Acts 10:38
- And, lo, a spirit taketh him, and he suddenly crieth out; and it teareth him that he foameth from him again, and bruising him hardly departeth from him. Luke 39:9
-Jesus corrected afflictions in the synagogue
-Jesus delivered people from the bondage of the devil
- And the blind and the lame came to him in the temple and he healed them. Matthew 21:14
-Jesus destroyed the works of the devil
- And ought not this woman being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound....Luke 13:16
-Jesus will ultimately cast the devil and all demons into the Lake of Fire
- He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil. 1John 3:8
- And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet [are], and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever. Rev 20:10
Should Christians be afraid of the devil or demons?
-Absolutely not!! Once you know the authority and power given to Christians by Jesus, there is no reason to fear the devil.
God has not given us the spirit of fear…fear is a tactic of the devil and demons. They will use fear against Christians in every way they can.
- And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth. Matthew 28:18
- Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you. Luke 10:19
- Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil, and he will flee from you.James 4:7
- For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.1 Timothy 5:7
What do demons and the devil do?
-They kill steal and destroy
- The thief cometh not but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy.... John 10:10
-They seek to devour people
- Be sober, be vigilant because your adversary, the devil, as a roaring lion walketh about, seeking whom he may devour. 1 Peter 5:8
They oppress people
- ... healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him. Acts 10:38
-They take people captive against their will
- And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will.2 Timothy 2:26
-They bind or tie people up
- And ought not this woman, being a daughter of Abraham, whom Satan hath bound, lo, these eighteen years, be loosed from this bond on the sabbath day? Luke 13:16
- They lie and deceive
- Ye are of [your] father the devil, and the lusts of your father ye will do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and abode not in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaketh a lie, he speaketh of his own: for he is a liar, and the father of it. John 8:44
- And the devil that deceived them... Revelation 20:8
-They set snares
- Moreover he must have a good report of them which are without; lest he fall into reproach and the snare of the devil. 1 Timothy 3:7
How do they operate?
-They plant thoughts into your mind.
- Now the serpent was more subtil than any beast of the field which the LORD God had made. And he said unto the woman, Yea, hath God said, Ye shall not eat of every tree of the garden? Genesis 3:1
-They fill your heart with evil.
- But Peter said, Ananias, why hath Satan filled thine heart to lie to the Holy Ghost, and to keep back [part] of the price of the land? Acts 5:3
-They attempt to get you to worship them.
- And saith unto him, All these things will I give thee, if thou wilt fall down and worship me.[Matthew 4:9]
-They attack your body, mind, emotions, spirit, finances, loved ones, relationships, and even your pets. [General scriptures through the Bible]
How do we fight the devil and demons?
- We follow the example of Jesus. When confronted with the devil and demons, Jesus spoke the Word of God. He used scripture to fight the devil. Matthew 4:1-11
And [that] they may recover themselves out of the snare of the devil, who are taken captive by him at his will. - How God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were oppressed of the devil; for God was with him
After all of this.....
...you should believe that the devil exists. If, after you have read this you are still in doubt, please know that you are loved by Jesus and being prayed for continually by the Body of Christ.
If you want to receive Jesus Christ as your personal Lord and Savior, now is the time to do so. Just recognize that you are a sinner and you need to be saved. Then a simple prayer will give you eternal life.
I come to you recognizing that I am a sinner in need of salvation. I believe that Jesus is the Son of God; that He died for me and that He rose from the dead. Jesus, come into my heart; be my Lord and Savior. I break fellowship with the devil and I receive you now along with everlasting life. I ask you now to fill me with the Holy Spirit and power. I thank you Father that I am now saved. In Jesus Name, amen.