Why Christians Should Forgive
Christians are taught to pray
In the Bible, Christians are taught to pray about everything (Phill.4:6). But today, I want to ask you a question, are you prepared to pray?
In the book of Mark Jesus makes it clear while praying, if we have anything against anyone, we are to forgive them; this can be done while we pray. Jesus also makes it clear that if we refuse to forgive neither will our Heavenly Father forgive us our wrongdoings (Mark 11:25-26).
Ten reasons Christians should forgive others:
1) We are a new creation (2-Cor.5:14-21).
2) We are to renew our mind (Rom.12:1-2).
3) We are to imitate Christ (Eph.5:1).
4) We are the children of God (1-Jn.3:10).
5) We are to walk in love (Eph.5:2).
6) We are God’s handy work (Eph.2:10)
7) We walk in true righteousness (Eph.4:20-32).
8) We are commanded to forgive (Mark 11:25-26)
9) We love one another (Jn.13:34-35).
10) We love God (1-Jn.4:20-21).
The Lord’s three goal for every believer
1) That all believers are saved (1-Tim.2:3-4).
2) That believers conform to the image of Christ (Rom.8:29).
3) That the followers of Christ receive eternal life (1-Jn.5:13).
Jesus’ message to every believer
1) If you love me, keep my commandment (Jn.14:15). And this is My commandment, that you love one another (Jn.15:12).
2) Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, even as Christ
forgave you (Eph.4:32).
Beleivers are transferred from darkness to light
Converting from an unbeliever to a believer is a spiritual battle every Convert faces. At the moment we confess Christ as our Lord and Savior, God supernaturally delivers us from the power of darkness and conveys us into the Kingdom of His Son, Jesus Christ (Col.1:13-14). God has freed us from sin, however, like the Israelites; although God freed them from slavery they still had a slave’s mentality. Likewise, although God freed us from sin, like the Israelites, sometimes our old conduct try’s to raise its ugly head, and we do and say things not taught by the Lord. And at times, we harbor bitterness, and unforgiving hearts.
Forgiving someone is not easy.
Forgiving someone who has wronged us is not an easy task; God knows this, however, if we want the Lord to forgive our sins, then we must somehow forgive the people who wronged us.Today’s Christians feel if they forgive the person who victimized or wronged them, they will get away with the pain and suffering they caused them, not so, God said I will avenge you.
Five reasons not to avenge yourself
1) Repay no one evil for evil (Rom.12:17)
2) Do not avenge yourselves (Rom.12:19)
3) I will repay says the Lord (Rom.12:19)
4) It is the Lord who avenges us (Ps.18:47)
5) The Lord is the one who repays those who have shed the blood of the innocent.
Approach God with a pure heart
Jesus said, out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, these are the things that defile a person (Mk.7: 18-23). Don’t let hatred, bitterness, & resentment fester in your heart, approach God with a pure heart, and forgive.
© 2017 Rev Dennis L Johnson