- Religion and Philosophy»
- Christianity, the Bible & Jesus
Why I became a follower of Christ
My prayer in writing this article is that my life changing journey becomes your journey and that the treasure I have found will be yours as well. I recommend taking about 15-30 minutes to truly experience this article. Take some time to reflect as you read and watch the videos. Go ahead grab a warm beverage and let's get started.
Chasing the Wind
I believe in my younger years I spent most of my time chasing the wind. Most of my longings were for trivial things such as excessive material possessions, money, and other things that have no eternal value. With these pursuits came, emptiness, debt, shattered expectations and other miseries that lead to an unfulfilled life. It leads you down a path that makes you wonder about our purpose in life.
I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.— Ecclesiastes 1:14
To understand my journey, we first need to visit humanities struggle and need for a savior to truly appreciate this incredible journey that I have been on.
The Slavery of Sin
I've often been asked, "What is the big deal about sin?" Before we can answer this question, we must first have to understand what sin is. To help answer this question, let's watch this short clip:
What does the bible say about sin?
Now the works of the flesh are evident, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissensions, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the like; of which I tell you beforehand, just as I also told you in time past, that those who practice such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.
— Galatians 5:19
When we reflect on this scripture, It becomes painfully evident how these practices can lead to brokenness, death, and separation from a love (God) that is beyond comprehension.
Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.
-- Matthew 7:13-14
Something to think about: Ever wonder why we see so many people in the news with fame and fortune yet struggle deeply with depression? Instead of living for God, they become disconnected and run after those things that never truly satisfy. How can someone appear to have everything the world has to offer yet still feel alone and broken inside?
Let's watch an amazing testimony from a person who found themselves in this exact predicament.
What an amazing testimony. Why would we reject such a great calling to bring God glory, that brings fullness of life, and trade it for brokenness?
"But your iniquities have separated you from your God; And your sins have hidden His face from you, So that He will not hear."
— Isaiah 59:2
The Need for a Savior
God is a righteous and holy God and will judge the world according to His righteous and standard. The bible tells us that:
- "The Lord is righteous in all His ways, "
-- Psalms 145:17
- "For the wrath of God is revealed from heaven against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men, who hold the truth in unrighteousness;"
-- Roman 1:18
- "But the Lord shall endure forever; He has prepared His throne for judgment.He shall judge the world in righteousness, And He shall administer judgment for the peoples in uprightness."
-- Psalms 9:7-8
- "He is the Rock, His work is perfect; For all His ways are justice, A God of truth and without injustice; Righteous and upright is He."
-- Deuteronomy 32:4
Our pastor said something so profound, "Could you imagine if God was not a perfect, righteous, and loving God? Our universe would be utter chaos." There really would be no justice and evil would abound.
The bible says that we have all fallen short of His righteous standard. How then can we be saved? Let's watch this next video to learn about the greatest gift of love the world has ever known!
for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God
— Romans 3:23
Here are some incredible truths about the Good News of Jesus Christ from the infallible Word of God:
- For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
— Romans 6:20-23
- For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life.
— John 3:16
- Most assuredly, I say to you, he who hears My word and believes in Him who sent Me has everlasting life, and shall not come into judgment, but has passed from death into life.
— Romans 5:24
Why am I here? What is my purpose?
Something I soon realized is that there truly is more to life. The bible tells us that we were created to bring glory to Him. What an incredible calling for mankind, that the creator of the universe would call us for His purposes! The trivial things I used to place a high value on pale in compare to this great calling! Take a moment to listen to this song from Paul Baloche over at Leadworship.com called "The Same Love" which beautifully describes this calling. Also, meditate on the following scriptures that reveal these incredible truths.
Here are some scriptures to further discuss God's calling for our lives:
- For by Him all things were created that are in heaven and that are on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or principalities or powers. All things were created through Him and for Him.
— Colossians 1:16
- Everyone who is called by My name, Whom I have created for My glory; I have formed him, yes, I have made him.
— Isaiah 43:7
- But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, His own special people, that you may proclaim the praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light;
— 1 Peter 2:9
- “Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?” Jesus said to him, “‘You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.”
— Matthew 22:36-40
Jesus calls us to love Him and others. Could you imagine what the world would be like if all of humanity followed these commandments? Nations would no longer rise up against nations. Peace would reign on earth.
There are so many things in this life that promise to bring happiness but always come up short. Ultimately I came to a point in my life where I asked myself, "Why would I choose a life of brokenness over a life with Jesus that brings fullness of life and a promise of eternal life?"
In closing, let's celebrate everything that Jesus has done for us with another song from Paul Baloche from www.leadworship.com.
My hope and prayer is that you will also join me in this incredible journey. What an amazing gift of love that Jesus paid the penalty for our sin and that he has given us a hope and a promise for eternal life with Him.