No One Can Predict When The End Of The World Will Be
The Bible clearly states that no one will know when the end will be. But every year or so someone predicts when the end will happen. They come up with evidence to claim their date is right. It might be something Nostradamus predicted or the lining up of the planets or whatever. The Mayan Indians used a date at the end of 2012 and many predicted it would be the date, but it never happened.
I would believe all of these when they are suppose to happen, but the Bible clearly says that no man will know. It does however say that we should watch for the signs of its coming. Matthew 24:36 says "But of that day and hour knoweth no man, no, not the angels of heaven, but my Father only." Jesus was speaking to his apostles because they asked what the sign of his second coming and the end of the world would be.
Christians are instructed to watch for changes that will predict the time is near.
After the apostles asked about it, Jesus told them these things.
1. First he said that many would come in his name saying they are the Christ and will deceive many. Matthew 24:5
This may be referring to both Christians and non-Christians. We need to beware of false prophets.
2. He also said there would be wars and rumors of wars, but that does not mean the time has come yet. Matthew 24: 6
There have been wars throughout history, so the wars we are having now can't be considered a sign neccesarily.
3. There will be famines and pestilences and earthquakes, in various places. Matthew 24:7
Famine is predicted for the future. Right now food prices are rising and they expect the trend to continue as the Chinese are consuming more food, because of their improved economy. Australia had flooding and many nations had droughts. By the year 2030, it is predicted that there won't be enough food to feed the world.
Japan has had their earthquake and tsunami and we need to watch whether that was a sign or not. If we experience more earthquakes than normal, we need to watch for other signs.
4. Christians will be delivered up to be afflicted and killed because they believe in Jesus.They will be hated by nations because of his name. Matthew 24:9
This verse could be speaking of the times the early Christians went through as they were slaughtered by lions, or it could be speaking of present times. Don't forget Al Queda and Bin Laden. Christians are hated for their faith and may be persecuted in the near future for their belief. Christians have been persecuted throughout history at various times.
5. False prophets shall arise and deceive many. Matthew 24: 11
False prophets have already arisen and call themselves Christians. I'm not going to name church names, but if you are a Christian you may know who I am speaking about. When the end is arising we will see more and more of this.
6. Iniquity will abound and many Christian will have their hearts become cold. Matthew 24:12
No one can deny that we are living in sinful times. Our hearts can be dulled by seeing sin over and over again. It can become a problem if we see others sinning constantly and we begin to think some things are alright, when they aren't.
The special promise in V.13 is "But he that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved." We need to guard our minds and hearts so we don't become like the world.
7. Everyone will have the opportunity to have knowledge of the Gospel. The end will come when the gospel has been preached to all nations. Matthew 24:14
We now have television, radios, printed Bibles, the internet, cell phones and so many other devises that can let the entire world know about the Gospel.
8. "When ye therefore shall see the abomination of desolation, spoken of by Daniel the prophet, stand in the holy place" Matthew 24:15
The abomination of desolation refers to when the Antichrist insists he must be worshipped in the temple instead of God. A pig will be offered on the altar. The Antichrist is the "man of sin" who will be in control of the world. All of this will happen at the mid point of the tribulation.
9. In the last days there will be many scoffers that say the end hasn't happened and they think it never will.
There is some disagreement whether Christians will live through the tribulation or if the Rapture will happen before that time. The Rapture is the time that Jesus comes back and gathers all Christians and takes them up to heaven.
These are all signs that the tribulation period which last 7 years is about to happen. At the end of the tribulation period we will see the end of the earth as we know it and the judgement will begin. There are many things that will happen during this tribulation. God does promise those that follow him and are believers that there will be a new heaven and a new earth. Watch for the signs and prepare yourself.
Do you think the end of the world will happen during your lifetime?
- When Will We Go to Heaven After We Die?
All of us have wondered what will happen to us after we die. If you look at the Bible some verses sound like we will go to heaven immediately after death and others sound like we will rest in our graves and...
- Finding Peace And Contentment - Bible Study
When I was younger, I had a problem being content. I searched the Bible high and low for the word, but only found it in one place. The best verses to teach us to be content and at peace are found in...
- How Should I Pray? A Guideline to Prayer
A friend offered me this advice about prayer and it has always been a guideline for me as I pray. Use the word "Acts" (adoration, confession, thanksgiving, supplication) and you'll always pray in the proper...
- Hannah And Her Answered Prayer - Bible Study
Hannah is one of my favorite characters in the Bible. She comes somewhere after David and Paul. Even though she is in only one of the chapters of the Bible, her life offers some important lessons. We find...