Why do we need to fast?
What is FASTING? ( Oxford dictionary defines fasting as)
- Abstaining from food, or certain food, for a time.
And what is biblical fasting?
- Fasting is a Christian’s voluntary abstinence from food or drinks or other fleshly appetite (e.g. TV, internet, sport/game, sex, spa, etc.) for a specified period of time for a spiritual purpose.
Why do we need to fast?
· It is a discipline practiced by Christians
· To have a deeper level of intimacy with God
· To achieve spiritual breakthroughs and revival
What can one expect from fasting?
1. Divine intimacy. Fasting means we worship God by earnestly seeking Him more than worldly pleasures. When we say no to our fleshly appetites, our hunger for God grows, and we get to taste His presence. (James 4:8; Luke 14:18-20; Mark 4:19)
2. Divine instruction (or guidance). Fasting makes us more sensitive to God’s voice. We get to live in accordance with God’s plans and purposes for our lives as our steps are directed to where God wants us to be and to do what He wants us to do. (Isaiah 58:6)
3. Divine intervention (or power). There are strongholds of Satan, sin patterns, habits, or problems (like obstacles to the salvation of people) that cannot be removed or solved except through fasting. Fasting reduces the power of self so that the Holy Spirit’s power can work.
Example: In Acts 13:1-5, fasting and prayer resulted in people being called (divine intimacy), people responding to the call (divine instruction or guidance), and spiritual revival taking place thereafter (divine intervention or power).
Kinds of fast:
1. MEAL A DAY FAST (1 skipped meal per day)
2. 2 MEALS A DAY FAST (2 skilled meals a day)
3. FULL FAST (no meals during the day)
4. Fleshly pleasures, appetites besides food ( TV, INTERNET, SPORT/GAME, SECULAR MUSIC, SECULAR BOOKS/READING MATERIALS, SEX (only if there are married couples), SHOPPING, SPA, OTHERS.
EXAMINE YOUR LIFE.
- What may be the things (relationships, work, plans, etc) that you are settling SECOND-BEST for?
- What blessings are you missing because you have settled for second-best and not God’s best?
- What problem or situation are you in at present that needs God’s supernatural intervention?
- Not only evil things take us away from God but even good things. What are the blessings and good things God has given you but could take you farther from Him?
As Christians, we must aim for righteousness beyond human eyes. What matters is what God thinks of us.