iantoPF profile image 87

What does it mean to "Believe in" something?

I keep hearing and reading people say "I believe in" followed by Gods, Devils, Supernatural forces and even scientific debates, (Creation, Evolution, etc.) I know what "Believe" means and I know what "in" is. The two words, put together, do noe make sense to me. Can anyone clarify?

Gentle Fist profile image82

Best Answer Gentle Fist says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

"When you believe in something, it means you give yourself fully to that idea"

That is an excellent definition, thank you.

CR Rookwood profile image92

Pamela Hutson (CR Rookwood) says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

A truly beautiful answer. Thank you.

AnnaCia profile image85

AnnaCia says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

I agree totally. If the phrase has any meaning at all it is being misused.

juneaukid profile image83

Richard Francis Fleck (juneaukid) says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

Very well put. Let me see if I understand; It is one thing to believe myth as truth and another thing to see myth as presenting archetypes of the human consciousness. Interesting points.

kmaskreations profile image74

kmaskreations says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

Thank you but there lies my problem. I understand you believe. How does "believe in" make sense?

edhan profile image60

edhan says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

"we believe in our hearts that God exists."

Thank you edhan; that is the first time, in these answers, that I have seen the phrase "Believe in" make sense.

owhorspecial profile image69

owhorspecial says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

I know it makes sense to you but how does the word "believe" followed by the word "in" make sense?

Also; if you have Love, Respect, faith and patience, you have something wonderful. When you add obedience and fear you have an abusive relationship.

Faith, Family And Friends75

Faith, Family And Friends

libby101a profile image60

libby101a says

• iantoPF profile image

Peter Freeman (iantoPF) 5 years ago

Not as self explanatory as you might think. "Believe" is like Faith. "In" means being inside. The two words together don't make sense.