Rhonda D Johnson profile image 78

Are all opinions equal?

Most of us insist on our right to our own opinion and that is as it should be. Does that mean everyone's opinion is of equal value? Honest debate will often prove that certain statements are not facts. It seems to have become a tactic to declare what was previously offered as a fact to be "just my opinion." The statement is now inviolable, holy and above reproach. Honest debate becomes a violation of someone's right to their opinion.

Georgie Lowery profile image95

Georgianna Lowery (Georgie Lowery) says

Larry Wall 5 years ago

Well to keep the flow going how are you going to inform me that your opinion is of equal value to my opinion, when I disagree with you on the value, objectivity, study and testing of the information that you are using to form your opinion.

Lisa HW profile image82

Lisa HW says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

A standing ovation to you. The distinction you make here is clear and precise.

SidKemp profile image94

Sid Kemp (SidKemp) says

• Catherine Kane profile image

Catherine Kane 5 years ago

I'd say that Truth is not always loving. Indeed, I've seen Truth used like a weapon.

An opinion can usually be useful if we're clear about it being an opinion. It can be useful to know how other people perceive things (another kind of Truth...)

Freeway Flyer profile image85

Paul Swendson (Freeway Flyer) says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

So balance is of the essence, as is the availability of information.

That's not an opinion. That's an observation.

eapratte profile image81

Erika A. Pratte (eapratte) says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

The author Garrison Keiler said "Equality can only be reached from the bottom of a deep hole."

edhan profile image60

edhan says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

This is true.Even a child might see something the experts cannot see. say the purloined letter or the fact that the emperor isn't wearing any clothes.

Radikum profile image61

Radikum says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

Oh, I'm not looking for an answer. I just wanted to start people discussing and thinking about this and that's what everyone is doing. Thanks for your comments!

Agantum profile image61

Agantum says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

I agree with you. And there is a difference between having and holding. Having=this is my $.02 I'd like to put out there and see what happens. Holding=This is my baby! MINE!MINE! ALL MINE! So there!

MilesArmbruster profile image60

MilesArmbruster says

• Rhonda D Johnson profile image

Rhonda D Johnson 5 years ago

The abstract world and the real world. You are right, people tend to trust authority, yet even authority is not infallible and certainly not inerrant. What to do? Ask questions. And you are right, a bad attitude is a bad sign.

pstraubie48 profile image89

Patricia Scott (pstraubie48) says

Norine Williams says