newnation profile image 58

Is Islam Really a Peaceful Religion?

As I sat down to review the happenings in my country, Nigeria, one question kept creeping up in my subconscious...'Is Islam really a peaceful religion?'.Am sure this particular question has at one point or another crossed the minds of many Nigerians and the global community at large. Many Muslims believe that Islam is a religion of peace, but daily occurrence the world over keeps pointing in the opposite direction. The question of how peaceful the religion has been has eluded a good number of us.

whonunuwho profile image80

whonunuwho says

• newnation profile image

newnation 5 years ago

But many of these religions really don't have verses directing or upholding such violence as the Quaran does. I guess maybe that's the reason why there are so many Islamic malitias

KarlawithaK profile image70

KarlawithaK says

• newnation profile image

newnation 5 years ago

Verses abound in the Qur’an which supports violence ranging from religious intolerance (Suras 9:5),domestic violence against women (Sura 4:34), amputation of criminals (Sura 5:38), harsh punishment for anyone that speaks against the prophet (Suras 3:

yeagerinvestments profile image84

yeagerinvestments says

• andrew savage profile image

andrew savage 4 years ago

Sounds like another enemy of the American constitution. Do you know if they retranslate the Quran like they do with the King James Bible?

Rabiey profile image77

Rabiey says

Ms Dee profile image87

Deidre Shelden (Ms Dee) says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 5 years ago

Christianity is based on the life of a man who was clearly anti-war, yet all five of the major religious wars involved some form of Christianity. If a religion is defined by its people, and how they practice, then I would say very few are peaceful.

Jesus was a hippy profile image62

Jesus was a hippy says

• KarlawithaK profile image

KarlawithaK 5 years ago

I'm pretty sure that the words "completely peaceful" can only be used safely for the religions of Buddhism and Hinduism. Your conversation proves that a religion can be "peaceful" in theory but in practice and interpretation of teachings, violent.

onegoodwoman profile image78

onegoodwoman says

lostdogrwd profile image61

Richard Davis (lostdogrwd) says

• newnation profile image

newnation 5 years ago

I have critically examined some parts of the quaran, and it seems to me that it is full support of a lot of things ranging from domestic violence, amputation, stoning to actual murder. I want you to give me explanations for these verses in the quaran

andrew savage profile image61

andrew savage says

wongomowale says

SAQIB6608 profile image50

SAQIB (SAQIB6608) says