kallini2010 profile image 83

Did you know that the expression "A sound mind in a sound body" was incomplete?

It was one of my mother's favourite expressions and it was delivered to me on a daily basis when I was a child. In Latin. Maybe because she was a doctor and I was a sickly weakling. Now, my son brought it from school "How do you understand the expression "A sound mind in a sound body". Thanks to Google and the Age of Technology - I am looking it up - only to find out - it means the opposite - the Original Roman saying meant "It's hard to find a sound mind in a sound body". Now, how do you understand the expression?

Mr. Happy profile image83

Mr. Happy says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

You see? The point is so few people stop to read even... The idea is - when we are healthy, we take it for GRANTED and there is not even a chance to develop our thinking mind - when we get sick - our brain picks up - we develop empathy and...

livhappy profile image60

Josh Schaitel and Olivia Alverson (livhappy) says

Garifalia says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

The Latin quote says "Pray to to Gods that you have a sound mind in a sound body..." Both sayings are correct - what I am trying to say - you have to get sick to start thinking about your health... Being healthy is like breathing - you don't notice

edhan profile image60

edhan says

Specialkitty says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 2 years ago

Thank you for your answer. I did not keep the source because I did not find it necessary. It struck me as a curiosity. I gave a few explanations in the comments, if you read them, you will understand that it really does not matter what it means.

shivanchirakkal10 profile image61

shivanchirakkal10 says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I am NOT going to turn a question into a DEBATE - this comment is for everyone - I AM NOT looking for the conventional meaning. I am asking to pay attention that the original expression had an OPPOSITE meaning.