kallini2010 profile image 85

What do you do when your teenage child tells you "I hate you!"?

If there is one phrase to make parents to fly off the handle it is this one "I hate you!", but there is whole repertoire of very effective combat starters like "You're ruining my life!", "I am sorry I am such a disappointment to you!", "It's not fair!", "You just want somebody who is perfect!", "You never..." and "But why?"

chef-de-jour profile image89

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I agree as well. My son, not a teenager yet, kept saying "I hate my father!" and I asked him to just stop saying this. He looked at me, sat down quietly in the corner and started crying. I had to deal with the feeling, not the decorum.

CertifiedHandy profile image81

Chaplain Bernell Wesley (CertifiedHandy) says

onegoodwoman profile image83

onegoodwoman says

Sherry Hewins profile image96

Sherry Hewins says

xanzacow profile image82

Cynthia (xanzacow) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I would agree the most with this answer - never to make the fight bigger than it is. It is the context in which the words are said that is more important and it is the adult who is more mature who stops first.

SoManyPaths profile image60

SoManyPaths says

LongTimeMother profile image97

LongTimeMother says

justateacher profile image89

LaDena Campbell (justateacher) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 years ago

Wow these responses seem like and ego power trip over someone younger. I hope I guide by reason and set examples of love that preclude such a response. It is not like fate that teenagers act that way, it is by parenting.

CrescentSkies profile image82

Michael Ward (CrescentSkies) says

stas karimov profile image60

Stas Karimov says