kallini2010 profile image 85

What do you do when your teenage child tells you "I hate you!"?

If there is one phrase to make parents to fly off the handle it is this one "I hate you!", but there is whole repertoire of very effective combat starters like "You're ruining my life!", "I am sorry I am such a disappointment to you!", "It's not fair!", "You just want somebody who is perfect!", "You never..." and "But why?"

chef-de-jour profile image89

Andrew Spacey (chef-de-jour) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I agree as well. My son, not a teenager yet, kept saying "I hate my father!" and I asked him to just stop saying this. He looked at me, sat down quietly in the corner and started crying. I had to deal with the feeling, not the decorum.

LongTimeMother profile image98

LongTimeMother says

onegoodwoman profile image82

onegoodwoman says

xanzacow profile image81

Cynthia (xanzacow) says

• kallini2010 profile image

kallini2010 4 years ago

I would agree the most with this answer - never to make the fight bigger than it is. It is the context in which the words are said that is more important and it is the adult who is more mature who stops first.

CertifiedHandy profile image80

Chaplain Bernell Wesley (CertifiedHandy) says

CrescentSkies profile image82

Michael Ward (CrescentSkies) says

Sherry Hewins profile image93

Sherry Hewins says

justateacher profile image87

LaDena Campbell (justateacher) says

• Ericdierker profile image

Eric Dierker (Ericdierker) 4 years ago

Wow these responses seem like and ego power trip over someone younger. I hope I guide by reason and set examples of love that preclude such a response. It is not like fate that teenagers act that way, it is by parenting.

stas karimov profile image61

Stas Karimov says

SoManyPaths profile image60

SoManyPaths says