Would you consider John the Baptist as one of the first christians?

John the Baptist was teaching on the Kingdom of God and Christ first coming. Many teaching of John was also taught by Jesus. The church came a number of years after John's death, but does that mean that John could not have been a chirstian or could he? After all, he did baptize Jesus?

PlanksandNails profile image89

Best Answer PlanksandNails says

graceinus 3 years ago

PandN- Is there any way to know at what point John started baptizing people in the name of Jesus? I realize baptism of people through the Father, Son and Holy Spirit didn't come until after Christ's death. Many thanks for your answer.

graceinus 3 years ago

Ericdierker- You have also made a very valid point and I agree. I do thank you for your answer.

celafoe profile image73

charlie (celafoe) says

graceinus 3 years ago

celafore- I don't no if this question has very been brought up before regarding John and in my opinion I have to agree with you. However, I do wonder of others opinions on this question. Many thanks celafore.

connorj profile image79

John Connor (connorj) says

graceinus 3 years ago

manatita44- There were a few in John's time who mistakenly thought that John was the Christ due to his qualities. Only to learn that he was not. As John 1: 20 explains. Many tthanks for your answer maanatita44-

graceinus 3 years ago

duffsmom- Thanks so much for your answer

graceinus 3 years ago

JThomps42- I realize the word christian did not come about until long after the death of Jesus. My understanding of the meaning of this word christian is "to be Christ like". It would seem to me John was as it's described. Many, many thanks Jthomps44