jlpark profile image 90

It is not religion that causes intolerance - thoughts?

"It is not religion that causes in tolerance - It is intolerance that uses religion to give alleged "moral" support to the real cause of intolerance - hatred of those perceived to imagined to be oppressors or threats to one's own welfare" - what are your thoughts on this quote? Why do you feel that way? Do you agree or disagree? (Again, I'll close it if you get nasty). NOTE: this is not directed at any one or any one religion...it's a quote from a book I'm reading that provoked my curiousity as to what you guys think.

Best Answer sheilamyers says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 2 years ago

Thanks Sheila. You make a good point with the fact that even if religion was abolished people would find a way to support their intolerance somehow. Food for thought.

Sri T profile image79

Sri T (the mystic) (Sri T) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 2 years ago

Very true. Thanks for your thoughts Sri T

arksys profile image93

Irfan (arksys) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 2 years ago

That's what I kinda see it as saying.

cjhunsinger profile image68

cjhunsinger says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 2 years ago

Interesting thoughts cj! I do see what you mean re my statement about in closin this! It's not saying intolerance is all bad per say but that often religion is used to provide supposed moral backing to a hatred of something. But I like yr thoghhtss

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 2 years ago

Thanks for your answer JT. The thing is the quote went further into it. In saying that religion is used to give alleged 'moral' support to intolerance based on hatred etc - what r yr thoughts on that? But I agree intolerance is human nature of sorts