Donald Ogba profile image 81

Was it "Before Abraham was, "I am" existed " that Jesus actually meant in John 8:58?

Jesus is often quoted as saying "before Abraham was even born, I Am!" This passage, is often used to defend the fact that he was in existence before creation, as God. But, was he actually referring to the person of God - the "I AM," as opposed to himself?

PlanksandNails profile image90

PlanksandNails says

• Donald Ogba profile image

Obinna Donald Ogba (Donald Ogba) 2 years ago

I respect your opinion. And, if I understand you correctly, you are saying he was referring to God, the "I am," as inspired by Him. But, was indirectly saying even him was before Abraham, given that he too is God.

William Avitt profile image83

William Avitt says

• Donald Ogba profile image

Thought he was aversive about declaring himself divine. Yes, I know he called himself Son of God, but my understanding is that other Jews did as well. Guess it makes sense the clinging on the belief that he is a God.

Deborah Sexton says

• William Avitt profile image

William Avitt 2 years ago

Your explanation doesn't hold true when you look at the entire passage. The Jews asked if Jesus had ever know Abraham. He was saying that He existed before Abraham was born. And they were going to stone Him for claiming to be God.

Lybrah says

• Donald Ogba profile image

That's not in dispute here. So, assuming that's true, was Jesus actually referring to Him other than himself in that statement?