JMcFarland profile image 89

How did you decide upon and verify your own beliefs?

As an atheist who constantly strives to learn and grow in a culture that is largely religious, I'm constantly engaging with theists of many types. Often, they provide philosophical arguments for the existence of God, but I've never met one who was convinced and converted due to these philosophical "proofs". For believers out there, how did you choose which religion you ultimately became a part of? What convinced you that it was true? How did you research it, and have you examined others? While I may engage with answers, I'm not looking for an argument as much as a discussion of ideas.

adagio4639 profile image80

adagio4639 says

arksys profile image90

Irfan (arksys) says

bradmasterOCcal profile image79

bradmasterOCcal says

Say Yes To Life profile image87

Yoleen Lucas (Say Yes To Life) says

Maranda Crosby (Maranda Mae) says

• JMcFarland profile image

Julie McFarland (JMcFarland) 2 years ago

It seems like you're saying that you don't care whether or not your beliefs are true because they're comforting to you, and you want to believe them. Is that correct?

Hannah David Cini profile image79

Hannah David Cini says

• JMcFarland profile image

What I hear you saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you already believed, and used that belief to draw conclusions from experiences that you have. Is that correct?

Lady Guinevere profile image59

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

Jon Mark (jmark13) says

speer138 profile image60

speer138 says

SirDent says

• JMcFarland profile image

Thank you for sharing, sir. May I ask you a few follow up questions?