JMcFarland profile image 91

How did you decide upon and verify your own beliefs?

As an atheist who constantly strives to learn and grow in a culture that is largely religious, I'm constantly engaging with theists of many types. Often, they provide philosophical arguments for the existence of God, but I've never met one who was convinced and converted due to these philosophical "proofs". For believers out there, how did you choose which religion you ultimately became a part of? What convinced you that it was true? How did you research it, and have you examined others? While I may engage with answers, I'm not looking for an argument as much as a discussion of ideas.

adagio4639 profile image81

adagio4639 says

bradmasterOCcal profile image82

bradmasterOCcal says

arksys profile image91

Irfan (arksys) says

Say Yes To Life profile image86

Yoleen Lucas (Say Yes To Life) says

jmark13 profile image81

Jon Mark (jmark13) says

speer138 profile image60

speer138 says

Hannah David Cini profile image83

Hannah David Cini says

• JMcFarland profile image

Julie McFarland (JMcFarland) 2 years ago

What I hear you saying, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that you already believed, and used that belief to draw conclusions from experiences that you have. Is that correct?

Maranda Crosby (Maranda Mae) says

• JMcFarland profile image

It seems like you're saying that you don't care whether or not your beliefs are true because they're comforting to you, and you want to believe them. Is that correct?

Lady Guinevere profile image61

Debra Allen (Lady Guinevere) says

SirDent says

• JMcFarland profile image

Thank you for sharing, sir. May I ask you a few follow up questions?