peeples profile image 87

Non Christians - Would you allow your toddler to be baptized?

MIL wants to baptize our 4 year old with her other 2 grandchildren. Part of me feels like it is no big deal since to me it means nothing more than her getting her head wet. Part of me hates it because they refer to the children as born sinners needing cleaned. My first thought is if my daughter wants to do this when she is old enough that would be much different. Mom in law does not know mine or my husbands personal beliefs. Would you do it just for the sake of keeping your child from feeling left out at the baptism of the other 2 and for the sake of making an amazing MIL feel good?

jlpark profile image91

Jacqui (jlpark) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 20 months ago

My 4 year old won't understand, and likely wont remember which was why I was sort of ok with it. I don't want her to understand someone saying she is born bad. Hopefully hubby makes right decision wither way.

• peeples profile image

Peeples 21 months ago

I gave up in helping make this decision. Told my hubby it's his mom and he can figure out what he is willing to deal with. Too many variables for even me to decide! Thanks!

bravewarrior profile image93

Shauna L Bowling (bravewarrior) says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 20 months ago

Thanks. I agree! At this point I am leaving it up to my husband. People are born innocent. There is no way of getting around that.

• peeples profile image

Peeples 21 months ago

I love my MIL, and my daughter is young enough to maybe not remember it. Maybe getting it done now will avoid this coming up later. Very hard decision. I guess it doesn't hurt anyone, except my sanity. :) Thanks

• peeples profile image

Peeples 20 months ago

Thanks! Valid point. I don't think my MIL would do that but she would likely secretly be mad and then do her best to cram in as much religion as possible each visit for fear of my daughter being damned.

MizBejabbers says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 20 months ago

You are always welcome to answer any Q I post!! Thanks. I really don't like the born thing either. If she does have it we will for sure tell her this is for nana.

celafoe profile image70

charlie (celafoe) says

Link10103 profile image81

Link10103 says

• peeples profile image

Peeples 21 months ago

This was my original thought. To imply something is wrong with my daughter bugs me. I decided not to have the conversation and instead let him have it. He can use me as a scapegoat though if it helps. We'll see! Thanks!