jlpark profile image 91

Religious people in medical professions - how do you balance belief and science?

I'm a health professional, and a colleague recently (in conversation) stated that they believed in Creation and not evolution. Now, this has me stumped, as our profession involves almost all science, proven facts and a basis in evolution. She is a great health care professional, and obviously makes it work, it just has me stumped - how can one balance the belief in something that all around her is pointing to the opposite? Could be a 'faith' thing...could be that as an agnostic-atheist Creation isn't something I believe in - can anyone give me an insight?

lawrence01 profile image89

Lawrence Hebb (lawrence01) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 16 months ago

you are more than welcome to answe, and I quite like your answer - thanks!

Say Yes To Life profile image87

Yoleen Lucas (Say Yes To Life) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 16 months ago

I realise that. She is wonderful at her job, and it doesn't affect anything, just as my atheism doesn either. It just struck me as a difficult position to be in, and I wondered how it would balance with faith - it changes nothing abt them for me.

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 16 months ago

i may have assumed she meant at all, rather than creation and things evolved from there. I figure it can be balanced, and I'm interested to know how is all. She is a wonderful professional, so I have no issue there.

jonnycomelately profile image86

Alan (jonnycomelately) says

• jlpark profile image

Jacqui (jlpark) 16 months ago

Nope, it has no bearing on her work, she does a fantastic job. Her faith has no impact just as my lack of faith doesn't either. It merely struck me as a difficult position to be in to balance the science and the faith. Perhaps it is merely my issue.